E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake Force Display Activation

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 07:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 12 2004, 02:54 PM
[quote name='browellm' date='Apr 11 2004, 05:19 PM'] The manual states that my 04/04 E60 has them.
When you say "them" are you referring to the LED's or the adaptive brake lights?

My understanding is that, at least in the US, E60's come with adaptive brake lights but do not use LED's. The system has two stages and under heavy braking, an additional set of incandescent bulbs light up in the tail lights. [/quote]
Sorry, I should have been clearer: the manual states I have LED brake lights, AND brake force display (2 stage brake lights).
Old 04-12-2004, 08:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMW530' date='Apr 12 2004, 01:23 PM
Could it be talking about the centre brake light?
BMW530, you're absolutely right. It is just the centre brake light. Better that than nothing though, eh?
Old 04-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Apr 12 2004, 10:25 AM
[quote name='BMW530' date='Apr 12 2004, 01:23 PM'] Could it be talking about the centre brake light?
BMW530, you're absolutely right. It is just the centre brake light. Better that than nothing though, eh? [/quote]
browellm,

very true. better than nothing.
At least your Brake Force Display is working. I have to wait for the software to get it activated whenever that may be.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:23 AM
Contributors

Just rang my dealer concerning software for BFD activation. He's not aware of any new software that has arrivied which activates BFD. He also said not all E60s have the wiring present for BFD. Is this true? I don't think it is.
From posts on this forum and other areas on the Internet I read that BFD was standard on all E60s produced (part of the design as US cars had it) and only software needed to be activated.

So back to my original question on this post. Anyone manage to get BFD activated in the UK for E60s registered before January 2004?
Old 05-12-2004, 04:11 AM
Contributors

Have booked my car in for next week to see if they can get the BFD activated. In the meantime any further information would be great.
Thanks
Old 05-20-2004, 02:28 AM
Guest_speuk

I had BFD activated on my 25th August 2003 530dA a week or so ago when the car was in for its first service, they also installed the latest software. They had to e mail BMW UK as the system said it was not possible on this production date but Uk advised that it could be done, they also advised that MP3 and TMC was still not available with Bus Nav but hoped to have solved the problem by late 2004/ early 2005
Old 06-04-2004, 03:33 AM
Contributors

From other post:-
[BMW 530
Yes my car was built on the 25th August last year and delivered on the launch day. If your dealer contacts BMW Technical at Bracknell they will tell him how to activate the BFD. I used Benham BMW in Wolverhampton, altough I am based mainly in London ( We buy all our BMW's through this dealer as it is local to our Group HQ. The technican who did the work was Darren and the service manager is Jason tel 01902 457000.
Hope you get it sorted Ok
Have not tested it myself yet but Benhams said they had and was working OK]

speuk,
Hope you're out there reading this.
My dealer gave Benham BMW a call concerning the BFD activation. They replied that they never carried out any such work. So possibly your car wasn't activated??? Let me know if you have answers on this? I've suggested to my dealer to get a full software update, so hopefully it can be done then.

Any feedback on this from anyone would be great.

Thanks
Old 06-10-2004, 10:57 AM
Senior Members

Any news on the Brake Force lights activation. In sweden my dealer doesn?t know anything about this!? <_<
Old 06-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Contributors

I remember reading that Brake Force was fixed in a software update.
I think I also heard you have to activate it through i-drive. Not sure though.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:06 PM
Contributors

speuk.
If you're around please let me know whether you got any other info for me. As I mentioned. My dealer contacted Benhams and they were not aware of activating any BFD on any cars which includes yours I guess.

cidair,
My dealer (along with all UK dealers I guess) does not know anything about activating the BFD. The technician emailed BMW UK and were advised that it couldn't/shouldn't be done as normal bulbs are not efficient enough. Apparently BFD on the new E60s built this year use LEDs but I do not believe this!!! <_< . So Doctor Diesel, Flowerfred or anyone else with 2004 E60s and BFD as standard please let us know. Do you have LED brake lights in the main light clusters (Not the centre brake light)?

My technician had agreed to upgrade the software on my car to the latest version as I insisted that it is only a software issue and may activate BFD without them knowing it. As I've seen from the posts; jmcaiado in Portugal got them activated and was also a November 2003 build like mine.

I will update you after I've booked my car in in the next 2/3 weeks. I'm currently waiting for them to call me back concerning a fan noise in the engine.

Quick Reply: Brake Force Display Activation