E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake Force Display Activation

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 01:35 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried to get the Brake Force Display activated by their BMW dealer? I asked about it a few weeks ago and they said no software was available in the UK yet.

My 530i SE is a November 2003 build. I believe it requires a software update to get the BFD activated. Is this correct?

Let me know if anyone has managed to get the BFD activated on their E60 in the UK and whether any cost was involved.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is a November build too.
Activated BFD two weeks ago at the dealer - specific software was needed.
It's a no cost procedure in Portugal.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:48 PM
Senior Members

I will have mine upgraded next week ( Sweden ).
Old 04-05-2004, 11:43 PM
Members

what is "BREAK FORCE DISPLAY"??? how does it work??
Old 04-06-2004, 04:42 AM
sj3
Senior Members

deedee: First, 'brakes' are not the same as 'breaks'. Since that's settled, Brake force display results in the activation of more led's in the brake lights if the brake pedal is pushed hard. This makes the brake lights appear brighter to those following you, if you use extra force on the brake pedal. Ok?

Sam
Old 04-06-2004, 04:50 AM
Members

Hi

Interesting press release on this on the BMW GB web site. My 530 was delivered in March and so built within the times mentioned in the release. I've not checked to see if this feature is actually working but I'll have a look soon.:

http://www.bmw.co.uk/apm/corporate/news_in...8265433,00.html

Quoting the whole thing below:

A new active safety feature, Brake Force Display, is now available as standard on BMW models.

How does it work?
Brake Force Display is based on a variable brake light, which warns following drivers if the car in front is slowing down dramatically. Braking deceleration on the wheels is measured via the ABS sensors, and if deceleration of more than 5m/sec2 is detected, then an additional section of the brake lights is illuminated (or depending on the model, additional LEDs are activated within the brake lights). The third centre brake light is not affected.

Benefits
The brighter, more intense brake lights mean that drivers of following vehicles are better able to gauge the traffic situation when the car in front has to brake hard or make an emergency stop, enabling them to react more quickly in dangerous situations.

Introduction dates for Brake Force Display
Brake Force Display is available as standard from the following production dates:

Existing models:
December 2003 ? All 3 Series models and 5 Series Saloon
April 2004 ? X5 and Z4
March 2005 ? 7 Series Saloon

New models:
The following models receive Brake Force Display as standard equipment from their respective start of production:
6 Series Coup? and Convertible
5 Series Touring
X3
Old 04-06-2004, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by sj3' date='Apr 6 2004, 07:42 AM
deedee: First, 'brakes' are not the same as 'breaks'. Since that's settled, Brake force display results in the activation of more led's in the brake lights if the brake pedal is pushed hard. This makes the brake lights appear brighter to those following you, if you use extra force on the brake pedal. Ok?

Sam
Correct except that it isn't using LED's, just more incandescent bulbs.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:59 PM
Members

Back in january my dealer did not had the software needed for BFD activation. I'll check up again this week.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMW530' date='Apr 5 2004, 09:35 PM
Has anyone tried to get the Brake Force Display activated by their BMW dealer? I asked about it a few weeks ago and they said no software was available in the UK yet.

My 530i SE is a November 2003 build. I believe it requires a software update to get the BFD activated. Is this correct?

Let me know if anyone has managed to get the BFD activated on their E60 in the UK and whether any cost was involved.

Thanks
Yep, BFD became standard from December 2003, so I guess you will need an upgrade.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:33 PM

Thanks for the replies.
Will just have to keep checking with the dealer to see if any new software has arrived to activate the BFD.

Its a real shame its not LEDs as they definitely look much better. I was surprised that the E60 did not come with rear LED lights like on the 3 series coupe. I guess BMW plan to use them only on their 2 door models like the 3 seires coupe, 6 series etc.

Quick Reply: Brake Force Display Activation