E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535 xi sport package ,cold weather,navigation etc..

Hi guys i'm new to this forum,and finding alot of great info on here. just bought my frist bmw 2 weeks ogo 08 535 xi love this car.but everytime i drive their seems to be a ridiclous amount of brake dust on the front wheels. just driving around like i normally would.is this normal for these cars?.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Yup, it's annoying, I think if you buy ceramic break pads, it will cut down on the dust.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi Purchased 2/2011Sapphire Black MetallicNatural Brown LeatherPremium, Sport & Cold Weather

Originally Posted by Shlooky
Yup, it's annoying, I think if you buy ceramic break pads, it will cut down on the dust.
It will cut the dust considerably along with stopping power. Most good euro cars create a great amount of brake dust due to metallic pads cutting the discs. It takes a lot to stop these big heavy machines at high velocity. I'd rather clean the dust and know I'm going to stop when I need to.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rayray1558
Hi guys i'm new to this forum,and finding alot of great info on here. just bought my frist bmw 2 weeks ogo 08 535 xi love this car.but everytime i drive their seems to be a ridiclous amount of brake dust on the front wheels. just driving around like i normally would.is this normal for these cars?.
Yup ... you can always tell a hard braking BMW driver because the rear wheels are grey and the fronts are black

Give your wheels a good cleaning and a coat of auto wax ... it won't stop the dust from collecting but it will be easier to clean off. Alternatively, after a good cleaning wait until they're cool and spray the wheel with EagleOne Keep Clean. It doesn't prevent brake dust from collecting but it's also easier to remove with a quick washing.

You can always swap your pads for a low-dust pad - and opinions are all over the map (and this forum) ... some are said to provide better stopping power or longer pad life or less noise ... or will help you reduce the national debt etc etc ... pick one!

Enjoy your new ride and this forum ... it's a great source of information!
Old 06-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Alpine White

I got my car almost 2 months now. I have no brake dust at all. I guess the previous owner changed to aftermarket pads. Overall, stopping and brake feel is not as good as I expected it. Oh well, we can't have everything.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004, SMG, Sport, Nav, Logic-7, Bluetooth phone retrofit

I was quite happy with OE brakes, particularly since the originals lasted 160k miles. So I went with OE brakes again. They work great, and I can put up with the dust.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Senior Members

Wow I bought my car in the spring/summer 2 I guess everyone wanna be fly when it get hot. I've read a dozen of these new owner new to the forum threads this week. Welcome and yes brake dust is one of the many things they don't tell you about when becoming a 5er owner.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only the front two? All 4 of my wheels are covered in dust united I clean them every other week and I got no time for that. I just like to pretend they are gun metal sometimes.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by rayray1558

Well I will pass along the advice that I got from another member on here that I assure you based on MY EXPERIENCE you will not regret. Get Pagid Deluxe pads. They will cut down on the amount of dust by 90%, that's a fact. I have had mine for about 15,000 miles now and the only problem I have is that when going over minor bumps, they clank. This means that they are not an exact fit. BUT, I hated seeing so much brake dust built up in only a very short trip that the clank is worth it for me. They do not make a pad for the rear so my rears get dirtier much faster than my front. I replaced them with a pad I dont remember right now that give off less dust than OEMs but more than the Pagids.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by Wolrab
I was quite happy with OE brakes, particularly since the originals lasted 160k miles. So I went with OE brakes again. They work great, and I can put up with the dust.
You went 160K on brake pads. That must be nice. You must be the first in the world to do this. What's your secret?
Seeming you went 160K miles and then chanced with OE again, how many miles does your car have right now?

Quick Reply: brake dust