E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake Discs: Is Any Other Memeber Suffering from Vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Hi all,
I have been suffering from vibration while braking from high speeds (around 130 km/h) since I bought my car. BMW replaced the brake discs three times under warranty at 3000 km, 12,000 km, and 23,000 km. The third time, which was one week ago, they changed the bushings of the front struts (that was their description) in hope of them being the reason .

I lost hope in the service engineers here :thumbsdown: , no one knows the reason behind the consequent failure of discs because today I started feeling vibration again (after only 1000 kms). They tried to point at my driving style, but I reacted so furiously that they had to retreat .

Has anyone heard of such a problem, and if so, what is its remedy?
Old 04-11-2006, 12:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Shebs' post='267553' date='Apr 11 2006, 08:10 AM
Hi all,
I have been suffering from vibration while braking from high speeds (around 130 km/h) since I bought my car. BMW replaced the brake discs three times under warranty at 3000 km, 12,000 km, and 23,000 km. The third time, which was one week ago, they changed the bushings of the front struts (that was their description) in hope of them being the reason .

I lost hope in the service engineers here :thumbsdown: , no one knows the reason behind the consequent failure of discs because today I started feeling vibration again (after only 1000 kms). They tried to point at my driving style, but I reacted so furiously that they had to retreat .

Has anyone heard of such a problem, and if so, what is its remedy?
No vibration from brakes in my car at all....got to be something wrong with yours.

Comments on your driving style are a bit much ..... I though this was supposed to me the ultimate driving machine... not something that you can damage by braking hard .... :thumbsdown:
Old 04-11-2006, 04:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='267578' date='Apr 11 2006, 10:50 AM
No vibration from brakes in my car at all....got to be something wrong with yours.

Comments on your driving style are a bit much ..... I though this was supposed to me the ultimate driving machine... not something that you can damage by braking hard .... :thumbsdown:
Exactly, I don't understand how did they even have the guts to mention my driving style . I really responeded very aggressively to the engineer who mentioned my driving style .

I don't know why is my car so different than every other 5-sereis in the world . I added 7 litres of Mobil-1 since I bought it (24,000 km), and I replaced three sets of front brake discs. I guess that is pretty unusual .
Old 04-11-2006, 05:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 525DSE Auto Olivin

Originally Posted by Shebs' post='267627' date='Apr 11 2006, 01:45 PM
Exactly, I don't understand how did they even have the guts to mention my driving style . I really responeded very aggressively to the engineer who mentioned my driving style .

I don't know why is my car so different than every other 5-sereis in the world . I added 7 litres of Mobil-1 since I bought it (24,000 km), and I replaced three sets of front brake discs. I guess that is pretty unusual .

You mentioned (on another thread) brake pad wear. Perhaps the discs are suffering from thermal shock under heavy braking due to the cast iron carbon content being incorrect for a performance vehicle. The discs do have a low wear rate for a performance car suggesting that they might be more liable to thermal shock. Was there any sign of cracking developing on the discs?
Old 04-11-2006, 05:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JWBMW' post='267636' date='Apr 11 2006, 03:10 PM
You mentioned (on another thread) brake pad wear. Perhaps the discs are suffering from thermal shock under heavy braking due to the cast iron carbon content being incorrect for a performance vehicle. The discs do have a low wear rate for a performance car suggesting that they might be more liable to thermal shock. Was there any sign of cracking developing on the discs?
Hi JWBMW,
I was told by the service engineer that the discs did not show any blueish color, that means that they did not suffer thermal shocks (that is what he said, it is not my opinion). And if it was from thermal stresses, then why am I the only one suffering from that? Also the brake pads mentioned in the other thread were the rear ones not the front (the rear were changed at 22,000 km, the front will be gone by 30,000 km max).

Could it be defective brake pads? Being a mechanical engineer, I know that it is impossible that the pads can affect the discs because of the discs being much harder, but it is always good to ask .
Old 04-11-2006, 05:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 525DSE Auto Olivin

Could it be defective brake pads? Being a mechanical engineer, I know that it is impossible that the pads can affect the discs because of the discs being much harder, but it is always good to ask .
[/quote]

Wouldn't have though it likely with the pads as the manufacturing tolerances on the compunds would very tight. Also unlikely to warp the discs without a heat issue. Perhaps your service agent is making a wrong diagnosis and you should get them to refer it to BMW
Old 04-11-2006, 05:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

With old cars you would look to a sticking caliper after recurrent disc problems.

I have a vague recollection that the 5 has a system which takes up the travel in the brakepads in anticipation of braking - I would certainly be looking hard at the brake system itself.

If the pads are wearing abnormally then even more so.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

Who is tightening wheel bolts? incorrect torque could cause this.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by VTbound' post='267681' date='Apr 11 2006, 10:28 AM
Who is tightening wheel bolts? incorrect torque could cause this.
That's my first thought too. Check to make sure the wheels are torqued right. If not you could end up with warped rotors very quick.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='267692' date='Apr 11 2006, 05:04 PM
That's my first thought too. Check to make sure the wheels are torqued right. If not you could end up with warped rotors very quick.
BMW Egypt are tightning the bolts . I guess they should be able at least to get that right!

Quick Reply: Brake Discs: Is Any Other Memeber Suffering from Vibration?