E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake caliper model differences

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 10:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 535d M Sport Touring, Silver Grey, Black Leather, Panoramic Roof, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Professional Navigation, Bluetooth (w/ SE K750i), 6 CD, PS2 in Rear

Hi,

First post - be gentle.

I am about to take delivery of a six-month old 535d M Sport Touring. It's being prepared by the BMW dealer. Something I saw when I looked it over is now bugging me. The brake calipers on the 535d were not the same as the calipers on the 520i in the showroom, nor the 530d out front. Do the calipers differ from model to model? The ones in the showroom had fins, the 535d ones were flat.

There was also some surface rust on the brake discs, which I guess is OK and will be taken off pretty quickly by the braking action. But one of the calipers also appeared to be a little rusty. I have just read that the calipers are supposed to be aluminium, and the ones on the showroom car certainly looked to be.

I am worrying over nothing? Or should I get them looked at before I take delivery. The dealership is 150 miles, so returning to take another look is awkward.

Neil
Old 10-25-2005, 10:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Originally Posted by NMatthew' date='Oct 25 2005, 07:33 PM
Hi,

First post - be gentle.

I am about to take delivery of a six-month old 535d M Sport Touring. It's being prepared by the BMW dealer. Something I saw when I looked it over is now bugging me. The brake calipers on the 535d were not the same as the calipers on the 520i in the showroom, nor the 530d out front. Do the calipers differ from model to model? The ones in the showroom had fins, the 535d ones were flat.

There was also some surface rust on the brake discs, which I guess is OK and will be taken off pretty quickly by the braking action. But one of the calipers also appeared to be a little rusty. I have just read that the calipers are supposed to be aluminium, and the ones on the showroom car certainly looked to be.

I am worrying over nothing? Or should I get them looked at before I take delivery. The dealership is 150 miles, so returning to take another look is awkward.

Neil
[snapback]188501[/snapback]
The disc brakes and calipers of the 535d are the same of the 545i, offering superior performance compared to the braking system installed on all the other models of the range (M5 not included, of course). The rust on the rotors will disappear with the first brake but for sure there shouldn't be any rust on the calipers, since they are made from a light alloy and not steel. Maybe some "rusted" water form the rotor poured on the caliper when the car was parked and left a rusty mark on it; should not be a problem. Enjoy your car!
Old 10-25-2005, 11:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

The E60 and E61 535d actually share the caliper from the E65 750i, and have their own particular discs

As said before its probably a little "rusty water"
Old 10-25-2005, 11:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

The brakes on the 535d are fantastic - stop on a sixpence
Old 10-26-2005, 01:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Oct 25 2005, 02:24 PM
The brakes on the 535d are fantastic - stop on a sixpence
[snapback]188517[/snapback]
Yep...fantastic...i've been driving alot, and a few times even drove hard, very hard when the traffic was very very light and didn't feel any fade or sense of overheating even though the brakes took alot of punishment.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 535d M Sport Touring, Silver Grey, Black Leather, Panoramic Roof, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Professional Navigation, Bluetooth (w/ SE K750i), 6 CD, PS2 in Rear

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this car next week. Should be a great drive.

Further investigations on the brakes reveal that the 535d caliper IS made of alloy BUT there is a clip over it that is not. (It looks like a rectangular plate when viewed through the wheel.) This clip can rust on the surface and apparently does in wetter climates (like the UK!). BMW are aware of the problem, but will not fix it as it is not a fault as such, it is an external component exposed to the weather and that's just how it is. A bit shoddy if you ask me. My dealer has, however, agreed to fit new ones before delivery so at least it will look its best for a while. Question is, is there any way to protect them from rusting again - apart from moving somewhere dry! Hammerite?

Neil
Old 10-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NMatthew' date='Oct 26 2005, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the reassurance guys. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this car next week. Should be a great drive.

Further investigations on the brakes reveal that the 535d caliper IS made of alloy BUT there is a clip over it that is not. (It looks like a rectangular plate when viewed through the wheel.) This clip can rust on the surface and apparently does in wetter climates (like the UK!). BMW are aware of the problem, but will not fix it as it is not a fault as such, it is an external component exposed to the weather and that's just how it is. A bit shoddy if you ask me. My dealer has, however, agreed to fit new ones before delivery so at least it will look its best for a while. Question is, is there any way to protect them from rusting again - apart from moving somewhere dry! Hammerite?

Neil
[snapback]188979[/snapback]
i think you worry to much, but that's just me...
Old 10-26-2005, 12:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

i noticed a squeek on my car upon breaking at a faster speed... now is this normal, or should i get my breaks checked.. eric d