E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake Booster - How do I know if it's bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

I think my brake pedal is beginning to feel a bit weird. I just had my brake fluid flushed a few weeks ago because the brake pedal felt a bit shallow. I could press hard on the peal and reach the bottom of the pedal but felt my car was sliding a bit beyond the line rather than stopping. I just think the booster is got a leak some where and not providing the air pressure needed to push the master cylinder pin in. Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks all.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 bmw 530i

id try pump it a few times while running and hold.turn off engine while leaving your foot on the brake,let it sit and see if the pedal starts to creep to the floor. if it does there culd be a internal leak on your master.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by guysk8r1717
id try pump it a few times while running and hold.turn off engine while leaving your foot on the brake,let it sit and see if the pedal starts to creep to the floor. if it does there culd be a internal leak on your master.
If it does have a leak let's say, wouldn't I see some brake fluid spill somewhere? If the pedal creep to the floor , is it just a bad lifter spring on the pedal? I would say there's no more than 1.5 inch travel in the pedal before I hit the bottom.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

It may not be an actual fluid leak - you could have air somehow getting in the system.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:14 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
I think my brake pedal is beginning to feel a bit weird. I just had my brake fluid flushed a few weeks ago because the brake pedal felt a bit shallow. I could press hard on the peal and reach the bottom of the pedal but felt my car was sliding a bit beyond the line rather than stopping. I just think the booster is got a leak some where and not providing the air pressure needed to push the master cylinder pin in. Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks all.
When the break booster is bad you have a completely opposite experience. Brake pedal is very hard and you need to really push hard in order to slow down the car.
Good way to check for vacuum leak is:

While the car is stopped press the brake pedal with your left foot while raising the rpms to like 3000 RPM. If the brake pedal is getting softer with higher RPMs that could mean that you have a vacuum leak.

Your problem sounds like you have air in your brake lines. Flush the system again.

See the link

https://5series.net/forums/topic/601...ke+fluid+flush
Old 09-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dawid_w
When the break booster is bad you have a completely opposite experience. Brake pedal is very hard and you need to really push hard in order to slow down the car.
Good way to check for vacuum leak is:

While the car is stopped press the brake pedal with your left foot while raising the rpms to like 3000 RPM. If the brake pedal is getting softer with higher RPMs that could mean that you have a vacuum leak.

Your problem sounds like you have air in your brake lines. Flush the system again.

See the link

https://5series.net/forums/topic/601...ke+fluid+flush
Thanks for the tip. I will go ahead and flush the brake again soon. It was a DIY but I will take more time between bleeding corners to make sure all the air is out. Will re-post when done.