E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

brain fart; drove 80 freeway miles in DS mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 02:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like we need a poll. Some can get into 6th with DS. Even some with 545s.

The last time this was discussed, a definite majority could not get into 6th with DS. I have had 2 software versions with no change. I really don't care. I always switch to D at cruise and drive with D 80% of the time anyway. It just really surprises me that there is no consistent reason why some cars do this and some do not. I kind of like that DS is always a gear higher. I use it as my downshift command. I don't need to know what gear I am in, I just grab the shifter and pull it towards me - always downshifts - good for engine braking.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' post='202398' date='Nov 23 2005, 06:14 AM

The last time this was discussed, a definite majority could not get into 6th with DS. I have had 2 software versions with no change. I really don't care. I always switch to D at cruise and drive with D 80% of the time anyway. It just really surprises me that there is no consistent reason why some cars do this and some do not. I kind of like that DS is always a gear higher. I use it as my downshift command. I don't need to know what gear I am in, I just grab the shifter and pull it towards me - always downshifts - good for engine braking.
That's exactly the same logic and motivation I use. I do not want mine to NOT change to 5th gear if I'm up around 60-80 in some highway traffic and switch to DS. I want that 5th gear. I'll then either back off to M6 or return to D when the "excitement" is over.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:24 AM
Members

Can someone correct me if I am wrong but doesnt it state in the manual that if you are driving in DS mode the slightest touch of the shifter will switch it to manual? So maybe some of you blokes are inadvertently touching the shifter and viola you are now driving in manual which may account for why you believe the 6th gear has been engaged. My experience is when in DS mode the car will not engage the 6th gear even when cruising at 100mph
Old 11-23-2005, 07:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by bankerboyz' post='202460' date='Nov 23 2005, 10:24 AM
Can someone correct me if I am wrong but doesnt it state in the manual that if you are driving in DS mode the slightest touch of the shifter will switch it to manual? So maybe some of you blokes are inadvertently touching the shifter and viola you are now driving in manual which may account for why you believe the 6th gear has been engaged. My experience is when in DS mode the car will not engage the 6th gear even when cruising at 100mph
I would not call the shift to Manual mode (up or down) the "slightest touch". It is a definate motion forward or back with some decent resistance and just simple resting your hand on the shifter with slight movement (no real pressure) would not shift IMO.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:46 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count me in. I have said it in other posts as well. My car definitely goes to 6th when in DS mode. It probably changes gear around 65 mph.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:57 PM
Senior Members

Tell you dealer to update your trasmission software.. I think is separate of the regular Idrive updates. It sucks to be shifting from D to DS (which I had to do for a few months until the dealer fixed it in my 530)...once you fix your programming, then as soon as you hit the HWY you can loeave it in DS without affecting your MPG have fun
Old 11-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Members

ALWAYS ON DS anyway so I dont care

great looking car Don Juan!
Old 11-27-2005, 07:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='202412

That's exactly the same logic and motivation I use. I do not want mine to NOT change to 5th gear if I'm up around 60-80 in some highway traffic and switch to DS. I want that 5th gear. I'll then either back off to M6 or return to D when the "excitement" is over.
[/quote]

same way i use it
Old 11-27-2005, 07:41 AM
Senior Members

I drive in DS all the time. When driving at highway speeds, I occasionally switch it over to D mode to see if the transmission changes, and it does not. It shows by not changing that the 6th gear is already engaged even when driving in DS mode.

The only time that the gear is upshifted is at more modest speeds in city driving, then the changeover from DS to D mode will upshift to 6th at marginal speeds.

DS mode only changes the ratios to lower numerical levels, but does not prevent the eventual upshifting to 6th gear. No gears levels are eliminated, only delayed to achieve a more aggressive response.

It results in a bit lower fuel economy in city driving, and nearly identical fuel economy in highway driving.

If you want to verify it, get on a highway and cruise up to around 65mph/105kmh while in DS mode, if you are cruising at a constant speed, then change over to D mode. Nothing will change on the tachometer. If the tach showed lower revs, then the change to D mode would have confirmed an upshift to 6th gear. It won't.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gdavis' post='203917' date='Nov 27 2005, 11:41 AM
I drive in DS all the time. When driving at highway speeds, I occasionally switch it over to D mode to see if the transmission changes, and it does not. It shows by not changing that the 6th gear is already engaged even when driving in DS mode.

The only time that the gear is upshifted is at more modest speeds in city driving, then the changeover from DS to D mode will upshift to 6th at marginal speeds.

DS mode only changes the ratios to lower numerical levels, but does not prevent the eventual upshifting to 6th gear. No gears levels are eliminated, only delayed to achieve a more aggressive response.

It results in a bit lower fuel economy in city driving, and nearly identical fuel economy in highway driving.

If you want to verify it, get on a highway and cruise up to around 65mph/105kmh while in DS mode, if you are cruising at a constant speed, then change over to D mode. Nothing will change on the tachometer. If the tach showed lower revs, then the change to D mode would have confirmed an upshift to 6th gear. It won't.
dont know which way is right or not, but i know for a fact that when i go from DS to D at highway speeds, the revs drop by 500-700rpms....

Quick Reply: brain fart; drove 80 freeway miles in DS mode