E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Both of my BMW's damaged

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='719534' date='Nov 12 2008, 07:09 PM
Take it to the most expensive and most reputable place to get an estimate. Get your check, then take it to the place you are comfortable with and save your deductibles + get some cash.
Great call on this one. I would just bring it to the mom and pop shop. If possible save the extra change.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Senior Members

if there are no panels that need to be changed then mom n pop should do it....but research them on the web 1st. on some consumer reviews. Where the damages are big then i would take it to a bmw certified body shop; they take forewver, but it's worth the wait. we all want the best for our babies !
I've actually seen some CPO bmw's for sale at the dealers with some paint residue underneath and in some plastic covers.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='719545' date='Nov 12 2008, 07:21 PM
The nearby place is BMW certified? Are you certain?
This raises a question for me. With the damage my vehicle sustained last week, I phoned the dealership's service department to inquire where I needed to take my leased car for repairs if anywhere in particular. They said "yes, take it to shop XYZ." When the insurance adjustor arrived, he stated that BMW can't tell me where to have my repairs performed, regardless of the fact that it's a leased vehicle. Not wanting to face any repercussions when it comes time to turn in my lease, I decided on the BMW recommended shop anyways, but was that really necessary? Are there in fact BMW certified and non-BMW certified bodyshops?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JDoug550' post='719761' date='Nov 13 2008, 12:00 AM
This raises a question for me. With the damage my vehicle sustained last week, I phoned the dealership's service department to inquire where I needed to take my leased car for repairs if anywhere in particular. They said "yes, take it to shop XYZ." When the insurance adjustor arrived, he stated that BMW can't tell me where to have my repairs performed, regardless of the fact that it's a leased vehicle. Not wanting to face any repercussions when it comes time to turn in my lease, I decided on the BMW recommended shop anyways, but was that really necessary? Are there in fact BMW certified and non-BMW certified bodyshops?
Yes, there are BMW certified body shops - at least in my area, OC, there are only 2. They fix the cars to factory measurements and they don't sacrifice parts for non OEM.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530i 87 325is 85 VW GTI

Normally the shops the insurance company refers you to offers a lifetime warranty. They are also more willing to bend over backwards since they don't want to loose their contract from complaints.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:23 PM
Contributors

Go check out the shop.

1. observe the cars that are there. If there are other "premium" cars in being repaired that is a good sign. If the place is full of mini vans, etc and its just a high volume collision place, then think twice.

2. Talk to the manager, evaluate his knowledge and attitude. Tell him you are super picky and want your cars to be perfect again and see what he says to reassure you. Tell him you are worried about matching the colour, etc. Do they have a quality attitude?

Don't worry, properly done, you will not be able to tell anything ever happened. Good luck.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Cris, I would assume you are considering using Sears? As Jonathan stated, I would stay with a BMW Certified shop as they have the most experience dealing with our cars.

I can tell you to AVOID Rogers Master Collision in Bloomington at all costs, they are hacks and I had nothing but trouble when I used them. :thumbsdown:
Old 11-13-2008, 02:33 AM
Senior Members

Dealer for SURE! They can get and have to get OEM parts, the body gaps and paint will be OEM perfect then too. And about the bit of getting cash out of this....bad idea...guys like that cause all our insurance rates to be where they are....be honest!
Old 11-13-2008, 02:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I say go with the BMW certified shop as well -- don't forget that the E60 has many aluminium body panels and parts. Working with aluminum can be tricky and I think part of the BMW certification includes the proper training, techniques, and equipment to deal with the aluminum bits...
Old 11-13-2008, 08:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='719941' date='Nov 13 2008, 06:51 AM
I say go with the BMW certified shop as well -- don't forget that the E60 has many aluminium body panels and parts. Working with aluminum can be tricky and I think part of the BMW certification includes the proper training, techniques, and equipment to deal with the aluminum bits...
We'll said, you'd be a bonehead to go elsewhere!

Quick Reply: Both of my BMW's damaged