E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boot/trunk release

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My March 2004 530d has self opened the boot/trunk twice in the last six weeks The first time was within a few days of my owning the car, so I thought I may have inadvertently pressed the wrong button on the remote. This morning the boot/trunk had popped and I am sure the remote key fob was nowhere near the car all night. Has anyone else experienced this?. I expect it needs to be checked out by my dealer. Another two hours wasted, hanging around while they investigate.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d LCI when it arrives..

Originally Posted by KeithL' post='427059' date='May 22 2007, 08:16 AM
My March 2004 530d has self opened the boot/trunk twice in the last six weeks The first time was within a few days of my owning the car, so I thought I may have inadvertently pressed the wrong button on the remote. This morning the boot/trunk had popped and I am sure the remote key fob was nowhere near the car all night. Has anyone else experienced this?. I expect it needs to be checked out by my dealer. Another two hours wasted, hanging around while they investigate.

Get them to reprogram the car so that it'll only open the boot from the remote if the doors are unlocked.. That way you can rule out any accidental opening from the remote..

Wired.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

I did this routinely on my E46 when I had a parking space close to my office window. The problem stopped when we moved to new offices.
The funny thing is that it was always the boot/trunk, and never the doors.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KeithL' post='427059' date='May 22 2007, 02:16 AM
Happened to me last week, came out of the office to find the boot wide open
This was the 1st time in 4 months of ownership. I must've accidentaly pressed the boot release button on the fob .

I noticed the new Fob style key is more prone to be accidentaly pressed than the older style key; so I am carefull where I put my keys in my pocket (specially if wearing jeans).

You could ask the dealer to program it, so it will only open the boot if the car is unlocked; but I find this inconvenient & risky as you may forget to lock the car after using the boot.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Members

Thanks for the replies.
I am pretty sure I didn't press the boot release button on the remote key fob.
My next door neighbour has a z4 so I wonder whether his remote is sending signals to my e60 boot release.

Keith
Old 05-22-2007, 09:58 PM
Members

I tried the neighbour's remote and it didn't effect my car.

I notice there is an issue for the E90 - boot release without request.
I assume this is the same problem with my E60.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:34 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by the-oneil' post='427145' date='May 22 2007, 04:23 PM
I noticed the new Fob style key is more prone to be accidentaly pressed than the older style key; so I am carefull where I put my keys in my pocket (specially if wearing jeans).

+1

I very often notice that my car is unlocked even while digging for the key in my jeans pocket. That key fob is a little sensitive.

MacSid
Old 05-23-2007, 04:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by KeithL' post='427059' date='May 22 2007, 03:16 AM
This is an old recognized problem, there are many old posts dating back to early 2005 on this issue. A software correction
is required, had it done ages ago and truck never opened by itself since.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:58 AM
Members

Does this mean I can demand to have ProgMan updated? The car is under BMW approved car warranty.
This would be handy because I'm interested in having the ipod adapter fitted, which will not work under my present ProgMan.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:20 AM
Members

I spent four hours at the dealers this morning. While they were investigating the fault I wanted to know what version of ProgMan I had and I wanted the car programmed so that the car doors had to be unlocked before you could pop the boot with the key fob. After waiting 45 minutes the receptionist explained to me there would be a ?25 charge for ProgMan version information and another ?25 to reprogram the boot locking. I said I was not prepared to pay for this as the car is under approved BMW warranty.

After two hours I was told they could find no fault. At this time I told them that if anything was removed from my boot because the boot lid had popped open, I would be claiming compensation from BMW. The receptionist spoke to the dealership manager and the reprogramming was done free of charge which took another two hours. I still don?t know my ProgMan version!!!

I made a point of seeing the dealership manager myself to thank him for doing the reprogramming FOC and reiterated the point that if the boot lids pops without request again, and something is removed from my boot, I will be seeking compensation from BMW.

Quick Reply: Boot/trunk release