E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Boost leak and oil from charge pipe@ CAC. Connected?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2023, 05:08 PM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: E61
Model Year: 2008
Default Boost leak and oil from charge pipe@ CAC. Connected?

I've been getting codes for a boost leak when I get on the throttle. Behaves totally fine day to day, just can't give it too much pedal (enough to get up around 4K+) or it goes into reduced power mode. I finally got a chance to tear it apart today, and found some oil seepage where the charge pipe connects to the charge air cooler on the cool side. Looks like it's been happening for a while, as there was a three dimensional accumulation of find sand/oil in the splash guard directly under this leak. I also noticed that the PO changed out some/most of the vacuum lines, likely chasing this (undisclosed) issue. Before I go throwing parts at the problem, what are the odds the oil seepage and the boost leak are connected? Seems to me if whatever route the oil is taking to get out for the small amount that should be in there, air should have no problem finding the same path of less resistance.
Old 10-08-2023, 03:13 PM
New Members

I took the above photos of the leak in question. Again, I have no idea how long this might have been an issue, but it's clearly enough that it's dripping. It's dripping very slowly though, and I have no idea where that fine grit might have come from (PO would probably know).

That said... I cleaned up the oil. Totally on the skid plate, and I wiped carefully to where I'd be able to tell what was new so as not to disturb anything that might be fragile. Then I went and drove it around in an effort to replicate and see if I could get the oil to leak a little and give me an idea for how much is leaking over the next week. However... Now it seems to have no problem hitting red line! It healed itself??? I floored it a half dozen or so times, and nothing! I've babied it a bit over the last few months, and it's much cooler now. Also, I didn't drive it for hours to get everything good and hot. Just enough to get the oil up to temp, so I can't rule out heat being a factor... Still... Any thoughts from more experienced/knowledgeable people would be appreciated.
Old 10-12-2023, 05:38 AM
New Members

Well. I spoke too soon. It came back, and truth be told, I was relieved. I've been able to get it to trip up twice now. I'm juggling cars in and out of a PDR shop, and breaking in a new R&P set on one, but prioritizing miles on the BMW this week. The goal was to push it hard enough often enough that if that's the source of my leak it'll be obvious. When I get in there again this weekend (assuming I'm able), if there's anything that stands out I'll post photos.