E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Body shop says previous paint work...any options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leese8080
Nice. Now you can enjoy your car! How much is it running you to get the key marks done and how extensive was the marking? - sorry to hear that happened.
Thanks! The left quarter panel key marks were buffed out but the ones in the hood are deep down to the metal. It will cost just got a quote from BMW two weekends ago $1100 to repaint the full hood. . Another high end body shop quoted $800.

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
I posted this before......my first bmw was a CPO 2000 323i and it was re-painted for CPO. lol
Autocheck is superior than carfax but still if it was never reported, then it was never reported.

As far as a digital paint caliper goes.....that will not tell you if it has accident. It will tell you if filler(bondo most common) was used and if there was paint. done will not tell the history.
Wait so this does not mean anything?
Old 12-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Have your body shop hold a magnet to that area and see if it'll stick or not. If it doesn't it means there is bondo and most likely an accident. If the magnet sticks, I'd say you were okay.

When he used the paint meter was it just a small area? If so, I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it.

I posted this before......my first bmw was a CPO 2000 323i and it was re-painted for CPO. lol
Autocheck is superior than carfax but still if it was never reported, then it was never reported.

As far as a digital paint caliper goes.....that will not tell you if it has accident. It will tell you if filler(bondo most common) was used and if there was paint. done will not tell the history.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
I don't think you understood anything I said. I could careless about the key marks but the repaint was done BEFORE I bought the car. When I had bought the car it was stated as no accidents, no paint work, and no body work..CPO. I was just curious as if I should raise concern to the dealer?
I understood perfectly. I was just reinforcing that a repaint (if there was one) is not a reason for your dealer to NOT CPO the car since the CPO is mainly mechanical. It's possible that the last owner had been keyed as well and the repaint was bad and unreported. I do agree with you that the dealer should have told you about any repaint when they sold you the car--but they would have to know about it in order to tell you. I hope it all works out OK and you continue to love your car.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

OP, yes.... it really doesn't mean anything. Honestly you're going to waste your $60. What happened happened and there's nothing that can be done now to reverse that except painting it. If you want to REALLY know for purposes of a lawsuit or something then sure, go ahead. But it will still show no true history or what happened in the past. Why? because filler can be used to fix imperfections in the metal from dings, tiny dents etc. I had a palm branch fall on my wifes car's Rear quarter panel and I'll be fixing that with filler soon. Doesn't mean it was an accident. Besides it will be a headache and a never ending battle which in the end will be a draw with BMW NA. Does it affect your car's handling and so forth? Then just be happy, get it fixed and take it as a learning experience.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
Have your body shop hold a magnet to that area and see if it'll stick or not. If it doesn't it means there is bondo and most likely an accident. If the magnet sticks, I'd say you were okay.

When he used the paint meter was it just a small area? If so, I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it.
Small area I will do the magnet trick later tonight. Thanks again Michael!

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
I understood perfectly. I was just reinforcing that a repaint (if there was one) is not a reason for your dealer to NOT CPO the car since the CPO is mainly mechanical. It's possible that the last owner had been keyed as well and the repaint was bad and unreported. I do agree with you that the dealer should have told you about any repaint when they sold you the car--but they would have to know about it in order to tell you. I hope it all works out OK and you continue to love your car.
Thanks man I am not going to do anything...its too late and the car is fantastic!

OP, yes.... it really doesn't mean anything. Honestly you're going to waste your $60. What happened happened and there's nothing that can be done now to reverse that except painting it. If you want to REALLY know for purposes of a lawsuit or something then sure, go ahead. But it will still show no true history or what happened in the past. Why? because filler can be used to fix imperfections in the metal from dings, tiny dents etc. I had a palm branch fall on my wifes car's Rear quarter panel and I'll be fixing that with filler soon. Doesn't mean it was an accident. Besides it will be a headache and a never ending battle which in the end will be a draw with BMW NA. Does it affect your car's handling and so forth? Then just be happy, get it fixed and take it as a learning experience.
Thanks again for your input! The paint work is great thats the thing but the first body shop guy (friend of ours) said the paint rematch was excellent but bubbles or some small imperfections were in the paint SUGGESTING a repaint. (If you feel it you can feel just one little nick and it came off after I wiped it off)
Old 12-29-2010, 04:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

A car that has been in an accident can get a CPO certification. However, if it has frame damage it cannot be CPO'd. When I purchased my car they didn't say anything about the car being repainted. However, I knew what to look for. I told them I thought it had had some work done. I asked them for a paint meter. We went over the car. I could tell that some body work had been done. They acknowledged that some work had been done. Anyhow, I had peace of mind that the frame was undamaged and the car still had base and CPO coverage.