E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body shop says previous paint work...any options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 2008 BMW CPO in August of 2009. The carfax/autocheck had no incidents and since it was CPO and in great condition nothing raised red flags. My car was keyed this summer and I went to the bodyshop to get the key marks out (Left quarter panel) and the guy said there were bubbles in the paintwork. So it must have been repainted or something?

What options do I have? Can I call BMW NA and ask them to provide assistance? Should I go back to the seller dealer and ask them what to do? My understanding is CPO can't have a previous accident? Should I just not care and live with it?
Old 12-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

This is why I don't trust carfax. My buddy had a 3 series that was in a major accident, had to do engine swap, and it never showed up on carfax even after 2 yrs.

I'd give BMW NA a call and let them know, it never hurts to try.

Michael
Acute Performance
Old 12-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

I'm not sure about the CPO not being offered on accident cars. In my case, my CPO 535i was in an accident (mine) after the CPO but the CPO stays with the car until the mileage or time runs out. I don't see what contacting BMW will accomplish. You still have to get the car repaired and the keying wasn't their fault. Use a BMW approved auto body so your paint match is acceptable.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
I'm not sure about the CPO not being offered on accident cars. In my case, my CPO 535i was in an accident (mine) after the CPO but the CPO stays with the car until the mileage or time runs out. I don't see what contacting BMW will accomplish. You still have to get the car repaired and the keying wasn't their fault. Use a BMW approved auto body so your paint match is acceptable.
I don't think you understood anything I said. I could careless about the key marks but the repaint was done BEFORE I bought the car. When I had bought the car it was stated as no accidents, no paint work, and no body work..CPO. I was just curious as if I should raise concern to the dealer?
Old 12-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Senior Members

Well I am on my phone now the cars at the body shop they are going to use some sort of meter to see if it was in accident or not. Only costing me $60.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Ahh that meter measures paint thickness and they compare it to the areas around the car to see if it was repainted.

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
Well I am on my phone now the cars at the body shop they are going to use some sort of meter to see if it was in accident or not. Only costing me $60.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Members

In the long and short of it I really don't think it's going to make a major difference in the car, your happiness, etc. There are a lot of cars with pristine carfax reports that have been totally repainted "off the grid" so no one would ever know. What do you think would come of you raising this issue with BMW NA? If you bark up the wrong tree could they pull the CPO off the car? That would suck and they could potentially accuse you of the accident. Ever think of that?

I don't think it is a major concern to be honest. Unless, it will continue to drive you insane while owning the car I wouldn't pay it any further attention or worry.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Senior Members

One small area has been touched up? Said most likely something small maybe some rock chips or some sort of object (key) marks were replaced. I am now at rest. Thanks guys! Thanks Michael!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

One small area has been touched up? Said most likely something small maybe some rock chips or some sort of object (key) marks were replaced. I am now at rest. Thanks guys! Thanks Michael!
Nice. Now you can enjoy your car! How much is it running you to get the key marks done and how extensive was the marking? - sorry to hear that happened.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I bought my 2008 BMW CPO in August of 2009. The carfax/autocheck had no incidents and since it was CPO and in great condition nothing raised red flags. My car was keyed this summer and I went to the bodyshop to get the key marks out (Left quarter panel) and the guy said there were bubbles in the paintwork. So it must have been repainted or something?

What options do I have? Can I call BMW NA and ask them to provide assistance? Should I go back to the seller dealer and ask them what to do? My understanding is CPO can't have a previous accident? Should I just not care and live with it?
I posted this before......my first bmw was a CPO 2000 323i and it was re-painted for CPO. lol
Autocheck is superior than carfax but still if it was never reported, then it was never reported.

As far as a digital paint caliper goes.....that will not tell you if it has accident. It will tell you if filler(bondo most common) was used and if there was paint. done will not tell the history.

Quick Reply: Body shop says previous paint work...any options?