E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW's Spare tire set - getting away from Run-flats

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i | Titanium Silver | Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation packages | Style 124 staggered rims | iPod integration | Tinted windows

Hi Guys, Can you please offer some suggestions here?

I have finally decided to ditch my OEM run flats. I currently run OEM Dunlop SP Sport run flats on 124 rims on my 2005 545i sport package.
I'm looking at upgrading to 19" staggered VMR's - although I can't seem to decide between their V710, VB3 or V718's - but that decision is for a different day.

My concern is that I will need a spare tire kit once I ditch the run flats. BMW has an Emergency Wheel with Tire set # 36 11 0 308 889 that should fit in my truck perfectly. Can you confirm that I have the correct part # for my 2005 545i? Here is the kicker - Canadian price from BMW for that Emergency Wheel set is $601.13 + taxes! Wow, isn't that just crazy? I'm sure I have seen spare tire sets sold on this forum for approximately $200.

That said, does anyone know where I can get this cheaper? I do have a shipping address in the US, so I can purchase from the US instead of Canada. I know that Gary of Newport used to give us a 25% discount, but not sure if that is still valid. Did someone here also have a contact at Tisher BMW?

Also, I can go with a Mobility kit, part # 71100415041 which is essentially a compressor and a tire sealant. Price is approx $130 US. Do you recommend this instead of the spare tire?

Here is another issue my dealer mentioned. If I do have an issue and call BMW's road-side assistance, they may not provide any support (towing) if I don't have the original equipment installed, ie run-flats. I know I qualify for up to 50 km's of free towing with BMW Assist, but apparently that would be void if I swap to non-run flats!

Lastly, concerning my 2005 545i, I heard that the Canadian models in 2005 did not include TPMS sensors. Do you know if that is true? I know I have a Flat Tire Monitor (FTM) section on my iDrive??? I also know that the system was different on pre-LCI cars. So, wondering if I need to purchase TPMS sensors with my new rims?

Thanks for your help here!
Old 04-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Originally Posted by Silver_545i
Here is another issue my dealer mentioned. If I do have an issue and call BMW's road-side assistance, they may not provide any support (towing) if I don't have the original equipment installed, ie run-flats. I know I qualify for up to 50 km's of free towing with BMW Assist, but apparently that would be void if I swap to non-run flats!

Lastly, concerning my 2005 545i, I heard that the Canadian models in 2005 did not include TPMS sensors. Do you know if that is true? I know I have a Flat Tire Monitor (FTM) section on my iDrive??? I also know that the system was different on pre-LCI cars. So, wondering if I need to purchase TPMS sensors with my new rims?
BMW's road side assistance will not give you grief for having non-OEM tires. I've used BMW Assist with my X3 with non-original rims/tires and they still provided normal service. If you were still under warranty, you might encounter an issue if your non-OEM part can be blamed for damage... but that shouldn't be an issue for you given the age of your E60.

On the FTM/TPMS, you are correct that you do not need sensors. The direct (sensor-based) TPMS was introduced in 2007 (still pre-LCI) but as you indicate - you have FTM. You can confirm with more certainty by examining the tire valve stems - if they're black plastic, no sensor; if they're metal, you have sensors (TMPS) although I highly doubt this will be the case.

Good luck with your tire choice!
Old 04-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i | Titanium Silver | Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation packages | Style 124 staggered rims | iPod integration | Tinted windows

Originally Posted by Wpg550
BMW's road side assistance will not give you grief for having non-OEM tires. I've used BMW Assist with my X3 with non-original rims/tires and they still provided normal service. If you were still under warranty, you might encounter an issue if your non-OEM part can be blamed for damage... but that shouldn't be an issue for you given the age of your E60.

On the FTM/TPMS, you are correct that you do not need sensors. The direct (sensor-based) TPMS was introduced in 2007 (still pre-LCI) but as you indicate - you have FTM. You can confirm with more certainty by examining the tire valve stems - if they're black plastic, no sensor; if they're metal, you have sensors (TMPS) although I highly doubt this will be the case.

Good luck with your tire choice!

Wpg550,
Thanks for your reply! I'll check my valve stems to confirm, but I'm quite certain that they are black plastic / rubber so they probably do not have TPMS sensors.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

i thought all e60 except m5 had spares

so you dont have anything where the spare is supposed to be?

does that part# you mention include the wheel, jack, lug wrench, tire chock, and the foam inserts?
Old 04-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
i thought all e60 except m5 had spares

so you dont have anything where the spare is supposed to be?

does that part# you mention include the wheel, jack, lug wrench, tire chock, and the foam inserts?
I believe all 545i / 550i came with run flats and no spare. Maybe it just applies to cars with the Sport package? The M5 does not come with run flats and I believe they include a compressor / tire sealer in the trunk.

Yes, from what I understand, that part # is supposed to include the jack, wrench, etc. It's a full kit. But, can't justify $601.13 Canadian!!!
Old 04-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Dinan S Package

i may be interested in those run flats when you replace them. let me know
Old 04-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

My 2004 545i sport came with Dunlop runflats on staggered 124's and the spare tire kit in the trunk. Don't know if this is a USA region thing or not. The spare actually came in handy when I picked up a screw in one tire, and put on the spare while having the screw puncture repaired. I did not drive on the spare, it simply meant I did not have to leave the car up on the jack while the main wheel was off being repaired.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60
My 2004 545i sport came with Dunlop runflats on staggered 124's and the spare tire kit in the trunk. Don't know if this is a USA region thing or not. The spare actually came in handy when I picked up a screw in one tire, and put on the spare while having the screw puncture repaired. I did not drive on the spare, it simply meant I did not have to leave the car up on the jack while the main wheel was off being repaired.

+1 I also have the spare in my Sport Package equiped 545.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Senior Members

Wow, that must mean that only Canadian cars came without the spare tire kit. And our cars cost more than the US models!
I guess we got ripped off!
Old 04-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by paneristi
i may be interested in those run flats when you replace them. let me know
Sure, are you looking for just the tires or rims also?
How far away are you from Buffalo, NY?

Quick Reply: BMW's Spare tire set - getting away from Run-flats