E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW535d tuned VS E46 M3 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 09:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d M-Sport, Carbon Black, Almost all options [img]http://picasaweb.google.com/rodako/T2/photo#5076044138312609266 [/img]

Hi J., i see u are racing M3's now! good for u. teach them a good lesson. i do wish u had said it was a standard diesel - he would have had such a bad night!

My 535d is not tuned yet but its just so damn fast - i cant imagine it tuned. Will do it next month hopefully.

It would be nice to know what your 0-60 is though since the M3's 0-60 is about 5secs. i tried it on mine and it was 6secs - airco off, sport mode, start at only 1500rpm with the brake on. And if u r able to use the steptronic to change at 4500 i believe this is the fastest.

Ronald
Old 07-26-2006, 01:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ronald_adi' post='315155' date='Jul 26 2006, 08:42 AM
Hi J., i see u are racing M3's now! good for u. teach them a good lesson. i do wish u had said it was a standard diesel - he would have had such a bad night!

My 535d is not tuned yet but its just so damn fast - i cant imagine it tuned. Will do it next month hopefully.

It would be nice to know what your 0-60 is though since the M3's 0-60 is about 5secs. i tried it on mine and it was 6secs - airco off, sport mode, start at only 1500rpm with the brake on. And if u r able to use the steptronic to change at 4500 i believe this is the fastest.

Ronald
Yes great story. Some may call it fairytaling you know?! Anyway i honestly bealive the 535d remaped can keep up with an M3 coupe and walk from a cabrio. Nice race and makes me desire more that extra 78 bhp and 100+NM.
Also i think also there is a slight loose of boost over 4500rpm so i do bealive also that shifting earlier than redline would be probably a bit faster. The only thing disturbing about the 535d and about the remaped one is the fact that it makes no drama when it eats the road. No big roar, just a kick in the back and an endless surge of energy overwhelming you. On one side that's a good thing but on the other not so good.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='315203' date='Jul 26 2006, 10:47 AM
Yes great story. Some may call it fairytaling you know?! Anyway i honestly bealive the 535d remaped can keep up with an M3 coupe and walk from a cabrio. Nice race and makes me desire more that extra 78 bhp and 100+NM.
Also i think also there is a slight loose of boost over 4500rpm so i do bealive also that shifting earlier than redline would be probably a bit faster. The only thing disturbing about the 535d and about the remaped one is the fact that it makes no drama when it eats the road. No big roar, just a kick in the back and an endless surge of energy overwhelming you. On one side that's a good thing but on the other not so good.
Agree, I'm certain that the best shiftpoint on the 530d is before the redline and I think this would also apply to the 535d.

The lack of drama comment is interesting - I agree - sometimes thats good and then sometimes you want something more 'in your face'.

Either way the 535d is an awesome machine.

When it eventually gets the new engine from the 335d (which I think is going to be something incredible) a re-mapped version will be a definite M3 eater - but there will probably also be a new M3 by then
Old 07-26-2006, 02:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='315208' date='Jul 26 2006, 12:23 PM
Agree, I'm certain that the best shiftpoint on the 530d is before the redline and I think this would also apply to the 535d.

The lack of drama comment is interesting - I agree - sometimes thats good and then sometimes you want something more 'in your face'.

Either way the 535d is an awesome machine.

When it eventually gets the new engine from the 335d (which I think is going to be something incredible) a re-mapped version will be a definite M3 eater - but there will probably also be a new M3 by then

M3 cabrio weights 1710 Kg!!!!!!
I with my 545i stock have defeated M3 cabrio too .
Now my 545 is remapped and perhaps has 10 Hp more .
Old 07-26-2006, 03:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i Touring 2005, Carbonblack, Nappa Naturbraun, M-pack, Comfortline, Navi Prof, Steptronic, Bi-Xenon, Eisenmann exhaust.

Originally Posted by ronald_adi' post='315155' date='Jul 26 2006, 07:42 AM

Ronald
0-100 km/h (0-62 miles) for a standard 535d is 6.5 seconds. If u do it yourself u will have to go till 105 km/h on the tacho since it slightly deviates.
The M3 convertible does it in 5.5 seconds but with manual transmission that is pretty difficult to achieve.
So the 350 hp remapped 535d will go to 100 between 5.5 and 6.0 seconds.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i Touring 2005, Carbonblack, Nappa Naturbraun, M-pack, Comfortline, Navi Prof, Steptronic, Bi-Xenon, Eisenmann exhaust.

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='315203' date='Jul 26 2006, 11:47 AM
Somehow i have the feeling that u are referring to me (and some others also ofcourse)
But to be honest this story is pretty credible. I certainly believe that a 350hp 535d will go neck to neck with an M3 convertible. About the same weight and about the same hp, so why not?
But some people are exagerating, like in this post aswell, by mentioning that standard 545i or standard 535d can kill an M3 coupe and stuff like that. Thats what i call fairytaling.
And dont forget that we are in an E60 forum. Guess what they are telling in the E46 M3 forum
Old 07-26-2006, 03:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by Georgos' post='315234' date='Jul 26 2006, 01:51 PM
Somehow i have the feeling that u are referring to me (and some others also ofcourse)
But to be honest this story is pretty credible. I certainly believe that a 350hp 535d will go neck to neck with an M3 convertible. About the same weight and about the same hp, so why not?
But some people are exagerating, like in this post aswell, by mentioning that standard 545i or standard 535d can kill an M3 coupe and stuff like that. Thats what i call fairytaling.
And dont forget that we are in an E60 forum. Guess what they are telling in the E46 M3 forum
Correct perspective Georgo...
Old 07-26-2006, 04:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

Originally Posted by Jeffs' post='315132' date='Jul 26 2006, 07:49 AM
But on the twisties, the e60 can never match the M3.

im very sure that the e60 will beat an m3 convertible on turns....its the couple that will disapear....
Old 07-26-2006, 05:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Georgos' post='315234' date='Jul 26 2006, 02:51 PM
I read only our 1st sentece from your post. Answer: NO! Not you my friend.
There are times when i think that maybe i'm not making myself clear or that i write my expereiences in a way that others interpret them as they wish or whatever (like i'm not clear) but i always thought that the 535d in standard can keep up slightly with the M3 cabrio ya know? In the same meaning that it will not embarass itself in the company of an M3 cabrio. I for one raced one both from standstill and from roll-ons (in town) and i could really feel he had a better response as my car seemed to always have a bit of delay till it started to move (like from gearbox, turbo engine, extra weight....) but once it did that i could keep up. He said after that, that his engine was not pulling that well or whatever (maybe true) but you know that's a good response from anyone when they hear that the car they competed with is run by a diesel. Anyway. That's what i said and i was sure a tuned 535d can walk away from a cabrio and probably will be neck and neck with a M3 coupe from standstill. I didn't have yet experiences with coupes, only cabrios for whatever reason. So that's my bealive comming from my own experience and judgement. I even played with some M5s (E39 of course) and the same result (pulling away better than the M3 cabrios, like really pulling away some distance from 1-2 car lengths, racing through town, but not more, so that means also that the diesel wouldn't get embarassed in that company let alone a remaped one). I mean hello people doesn't this sound weird?! Remapped or not diesels matching forces with M cars?!?!?! It's still a shock even for me.
That's pretty much straight line racing with some twisties involved but as you know very well on twisties in town the one that wins is the driver that's more crazy and has better abilities, the car comming in the 2nd place. On a track i presume the M3 coupe will outrun the 535d remaped...that's what i like to think.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:53 AM
Members

Last week I had a fantastic drive in a 60 miles motorway from Bilbao to San Sebastian. It is a very mountanious region so that there were many turns, uphills and downhills on the way.

I was competing with a BMW 645Ci. Very fast. He could not reach the 535d (remapped) any time.

At about 50 miles long, both we reduced speed dramatically. We both had radar detectors working at the same time!

Unfortunately he recognized me ;My parents were told by his brother about the rally and I had to give throughfull explanations about. (Imagine the situation since I am 47 now)

535d is King

Quick Reply: BMW535d tuned VS E46 M3 Convertible