E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW Welt Opening Day Article - My Complete Report

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Please see http://www.bmwcca.org/node/9849
Old 10-18-2007, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Here's some videos of the opening day ceremonies...

Opening:
GBMW_7618_72516.WMV
Blessing:
GBMW_7618_72522.WMV
Ascending balloons:
GBMW_7618_72524.WMV
Aerial artists:
GBMW_7618_72521.WMV
Delivery of the first BMW:
GBMW_7618_72523.WMV
Dr. Gunther Beckstein, Prime Minister, Bavaria:
GBMW_7618_72520.WMV
Dr. Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management, BMW AG:
GBMW_7618_72517.WMV

Enjoy!
Old 10-18-2007, 03:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Great write up and beautiful videos. What a great building. Looks to be a great experience to do European Delivery. I should have waited. In the US the brand is built through smoke and mirrors typically, with the sole exception being Apple. The Germans take the long view in product design, engineering, manufacturing, construction, and architecture. And global warming. Americans take the short view. Kudos to BMW and German culture for leading the way with the long view. Lasting value is always the best.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a couple more Welt opening day videos I wasn't able to post before...

more from Dr. Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management, BMW AG:
GBMW_7618_72518.WMV
Originally Posted by text of Dr. Reithofer's clip:
EfficientDynamics strategy further and to launch new vehicle and powertrain concepts in the years to come ? with the
goal of securing the individual mobility of the future. We are demonstrating that it is possible to offer ?sheer driving
pleasure? while reducing CO2 emissions. EfficientDynamics is one element in our concept of social responsibility and sustainability.
BMW Welt also reflects our claim: Firstly, we exhibit EfficientDynamics showcases here at the double cone. And
secondly, the design of the entire building is based on sustainability considerations. For example, the roof is equipped with a solar power plant.
As the BMW Group?s Chairman of the Board of Management, I am obviously enthusiastic about each and every one
of our products, without exception. But I have to confess that there are two models that have always been my clear
favorites: the BMW 507 and the BMW Z8. Both are roadsters that represent the BMW brand?s values in the
best-possible manner. This is why they are considered true classics in automotive history.
I am convinced that BMW Welt offers everything that is needed to become a classic as well. We have created
something unique. Of course I am aware of the fact that time goes on. Other buildings around the world will be setting
new standards. But for us, BMW Welt will always be something special! We consider it a milestone in our corporate
history! And I would be delighted if, some years from now, you said: BMW Welt in Munich ? that?s a true classic and
always worth a visit. Then we would have accomplished what we had intended.
Thank you very much.
Prof. Wolf D. Prix, Architect (this one's for you Paul ):
GBMW_7618_72519.WMV
Originally Posted by text of Wolf D. Prix's clip:
"Dynamism, speed and elegance is also something which we see in paradigms, in contemporary architecture, and
this is something which is turned into a three-dimensional world of encounters. The dual cone which the roof
develops from in a dynamic way is an icon and a reference for the building of the four-cylinder building and the dish at
the museum. It supplements both of these symbols and is connected to them by means of a bridge, so brings the
whole BMW complex together. The roof is large enough so it could cover St. Marc?s Square in Venice, it could also
house a soccer field. And you see the cloud-like curves, it allows us to have separate more or less cozy areas which
would never be boring like a traditional trade fair hall. On the contrary it gives us an atmosphere which is the
combination of a market place, a theater, entertainment area and a center for communication. Not separately it?s all
in one, it?s also sustainable, is an innovative building, which also interprets an old urban concept in a contemporary
way. Let me make a comparison here: the Acropolis in Athens was not only a temple it was also an icon, it was a
landmark for the city of Athens. But it was not only a shrine, it was a marketplace, it was a center for communication
and it was a meeting point to transfer knowledge. The BMW Welt was designed in a similar way. It?s an icon, it?s also
a marketplace, it?s a center for information and presentations, along a passage, it?s a public passage. Not only for
BMW but it was also planned for the public. And that means that the BMW Welt is a new interpretation of public space in a modern city."
Old 10-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Here's one more Welt opening day video I meant to post before...

VIP tour of Dr. G?nther Beckstein and Dr. Norbert Reithofer:
GBMW_7618_72525.WMV
Old 10-22-2007, 06:26 PM
aR.
Members

New Home for BMW World in Munich....
Impressive, Interesting & Memorable Architecture...a lot of great pictures...

http://www.motorauthority.com/cars/bmw/bmw...n-munich-today/
Old 10-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Wow !! this is such a beautiful building ! The Guggenheim in Bilboa has provided the world with such inspiration and broken down so many barriers forever and thats a good thing. This building seems to have a real sense of order and discipline , kind of right for Germany as a juxtaposition to Spain.

My next BMW will definitely be a ED ...... er ah well more likely across the border down to the US for a 25% discount...... then the savings will pay for a Euro holiday !

Cheers