E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW Sport shocks vs. Bilstein HD (B6) vs. Bilstein Sport (B8)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW Sport shocks vs. Bilstein HD (B6) vs. Bilstein Sport (B8)

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be replacing the front and rear struts/shocks on my 2005 545i Sport Package. The car has the BMW Sport Suspension....(NOT the M-Sport). It still has the original struts/shocks and I would like to replace them with ones that are similar to the originals as far as the firmness is concerned. I don't want them to be firmer than the originals. If I have to I can live with it if they are slightly firmer, but ideally I want to match the originals in firmness.

I'm sort of confused now by all the different posts and threads that I've read. Some people say the HD's are closer to the original shocks in firmness, but others say HD's are not designed for lowered springs (which the original BMW Sport suspension does have). Supposedly you have to go with the Bilstein Sports if you have lower springs, but I'm afraid that they might be too firm compared to the original BMW Sport Suspension shocks. Again, mine is NOT the M-Sport, but the regular BMW Sport Suspension.

I've attached the descriptions from Bilstein's website about the two shocks:

If anyone has any info on this I would appreciate very much if you can share it here.

Thanks in Advance
Attached Thumbnails BMW Sport shocks vs. Bilstein HD (B6) vs. Bilstein Sport (B8)-screen-shot-2013-11-17-1.10.29-pm.jpg   BMW Sport shocks vs. Bilstein HD (B6) vs. Bilstein Sport (B8)-screen-shot-2013-11-17-1.09.34-pm.jpg  
Old 11-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

I replace my oem sport (05 545) with bilstein sport shocks paired up with eibach prokit springs.

I'd say my suspension is a tad bit firmer but only because of the springs. Comfort wise very close if not same as oem. I'm currently rolling on falkens and I can almost feel every nook and cranny on the asphalt. But with the michelin ps sport, it's a night and day difference (I miss my michelins!). So tires will play a roll but overall I am totally happy with these shocks. I'd definitely recommend the bilstein sport. You won't be disappointed. BTW if you do go with the bilstein sports, remove the the oem bump stops.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
I replace my oem sport (05 545) with bilstein sport shocks paired up with eibach prokit springs.

I'd say my suspension is a tad bit firmer but only because of the springs. Comfort wise very close if not same as oem. I'm currently rolling on falkens and I can almost feel every nook and cranny on the asphalt. But with the michelin ps sport, it's a night and day difference (I miss my michelins!). So tires will play a roll but overall I am totally happy with these shocks. I'd definitely recommend the bilstein sport. You won't be disappointed. BTW if you do go with the bilstein sports, remove the the oem bump stops.
What prompted you to change your shocks? Mileage or did you begin to feel loss of control?

Did you consider the OE shocks (I think Boge/Sachs) or again did you want to go firmer?

Did you feel you needed to replace the springs or did you just want firmer control?

How much did you pay for all four corners?
Old 11-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Contributors

Thanks for the info....

Is the "bump stop" the part that BMW calls "Additional Shock Absorber" (item # 9 in the following picture)? If not which number is it? Does the Bilstein Sport not need a bump stop or does it come with it's own version? Do you know if the Bilstein Sport works with the oem "Guide Support" (item #1). Thanks Again

Old 11-18-2013, 08:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
What prompted you to change your shocks? Mileage or did you begin to feel loss of control?

Did you consider the OE shocks (I think Boge/Sachs) or again did you want to go firmer?

Did you feel you needed to replace the springs or did you just want firmer control?

How much did you pay for all four corners?
I love the look of a lowered stance and, the 124's on the stock sports suspension didn't cut it for me. So I bought the OEM 166's and the wheel well gap was still too noticeable. I had no issues with performance on the stock suspension at all, I just wasn't pleased with the stock height. Of course the other benefit was a stiffer suspension, particularly felt along our freeway offramps (We have a lot of those circular exits) I had roughly 60k miles when I did the "upgrade." Still have my OEM Sach's for "just in case" scenario.

For the average everyday drive these shocks and springs are no different in comfort than the OEM set up IMHO. You get the best of both worlds; lower, aggressive stance and a more firmer feel of the road during turns.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rodybmw
Thanks for the info....

Is the "bump stop" the part that BMW calls "Additional Shock Absorber" (item # 9 in the following picture)? If not which number is it? Does the Bilstein Sport not need a bump stop or does it come with it's own version? Do you know if the Bilstein Sport works with the oem "Guide Support" (item #1). Thanks Again

You will re-install everything in that pic EXCEPT the "additional shock absorber." Item #1 I believe is also referred to as the "top hat." This you will need to re-install.

The Bilsteins have their own internal bump stops.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the look of a lowered stance and, the 124's on the stock sports suspension didn't cut it for me. So I bought the OEM 166's and the wheel well gap was still too noticeable. I had no issues with performance on the stock suspension at all, I just wasn't pleased with the stock height. Of course the other benefit was a stiffer suspension, particularly felt along our freeway offramps (We have a lot of those circular exits) I had roughly 60k miles when I did the "upgrade." Still have my OEM Sach's for "just in case" scenario.

For the average everyday drive these shocks and springs are no different in comfort than the OEM set up IMHO. You get the best of both worlds; lower, aggressive stance and a more firmer feel of the road during turns.
Thanks for your response!
I too like the look of the lowered stance.

Like Vegas, Phoenix roads overall are good and don't suffer the freeze/thaw cycle so I am not afraid of a slightly stiffer ride for fear of being beat to death by potholes.

I am just doing research at this point. I can't say that I feel any looseness or need to change them out now, but with 102K miles I know this won't be the case forever.

Thanks again.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Contributors

You will re-install everything in that pic EXCEPT the "additional shock absorber." Item #1 I believe is also referred to as the "top hat." This you will need to re-install.

The Bilsteins have their own internal bump stops.
Thanks for the reply. It's funny......I get compliments all the time about how nice and "lowered" my car is and people ask me what suspension setup I have. The only reason my car looks so lowered is that I have the original factory shocks with 128,000 miles on them and they have really sunk/settled a lot. I started noticing it just past 100,000 miles, but it's gotten really bad in the last 5000 miles. It looks really nice, but the front M-Tech bumper keeps rubbing the pavement every time I go over a speed bump or a dip, even at relatively slow speeds. It now hits even the really low parking blocks where it didn't use to before. It also has a very bad "hard" ride now......I can't even call it a "firm" ride....it's just a "hard" bumpy ride. It's defineitely time to replace the shocks.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Members

Default 2005 545 ride height issue

I have a 2005 545 with sport suspension. I purchased from Turner Motorsport Bilstein HD shocks and pared them with the OEM original springs. Ride quality is fine but now my car is about 3/4 of an inch higher than it was originally. Can anyone explain why? Did my mechanic do the installation incorrectly? With the Bilstein HD shocks was the mechanic to remove the factory bump stop as well?
I can't imagine the HD shocks would make the ride height higher. But do they?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:12 PM
Contributors

^ ^ ^ ^ The shocks have nothing to do with the ride height. Springs are what determine the height. Shocks major purpose is to soften the rebound effect over bumps while springs add firmness during turns and leans.

The OEM original springs you ordered are the wrong springs, you need OEM Sport springs to match your sport suspension.

Regarding your bump stops, I'd recommend you leave the OEM ones in with the HD Bilsteins. Good luck

Last edited by e6t.lab.rat; 07-09-2014 at 07:51 PM.