E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW "special" tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Orient Blue, Beige Interior, Sports Pkg, Nav, Steptronic, Sat Radio Prep, Aux Input, Cold Weather Package

Got a quick question.

Today I took my 545i in to get the right front tire replaced. When I washed it this weekend, I noticed it had a gash about 3"s long along the rim. It was big enough that I could put my fingers in it. I thought it was maybe a defect. When I took it in, the service guy looked at it and said that it was either a curb or pothole hit. Well, I know I didn't hit a curb, but the roads around Boulder are really taking a beating with the weather of late and there are many deep nasty potholes around. I also remember hitting one the other night fairly hard. So, I guess that could have caused it.

It's costing me $426 to replace the Bridgestone run flat that is on it. I found the same tire at TireRack for $222 shipped in two days. I also found the same tire locally at Discount tire for about $351. When I asked the service guy about the big differences, he told me that BMW contracts with various manufacturers to produce "special runs" according to BMW specs and that they are only marked by a color star stamp on the tires. He went on to say that they take into account the negative chamber and, particular car, etc. and that if I bought one outside of BMW, that it would most likely wear funny and not perform as well.

Is this correct? Thoughts?

thanks,
Renard
Old 02-19-2007, 03:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Sounds like a load of cr*p to me. Many have used "non-BMW" runflats or standard tires with no issues.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Number one BS in 2007.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Senior Members

The star marking is only an indication that the tire is an OE tire. Just as Ford used to put the little "f" stamp on all the Willy's parts they made under contract during WWII. It has little to do with the reason TireRack charges $222 and he charges $204 more.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

That is really disappointing to be fed such BS from a dealer.

I'm not a mechanically inclined guy (my gift was my dashing good looks....ha ha ha), so I rely on what my dealer and techs tell me. Of course, I know that I pay a premium for that, but I at least have always trusted them. So far, anyway.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Orient Blue, Beige Interior, Sports Pkg, Nav, Steptronic, Sat Radio Prep, Aux Input, Cold Weather Package

Thanks for the feedback. Your all thinking the same thing I was when I was listening to him.

I guess I know where I WONT be buying my next set of tires from.....

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by RnrdTheFox' post='393295' date='Feb 19 2007, 06:30 PM
Got a quick question.

Today I took my 545i in to get the right front tire replaced. When I washed it this weekend, I noticed it had a gash about 3"s long along the rim. It was big enough that I could put my fingers in it. I thought it was maybe a defect. When I took it in, the service guy looked at it and said that it was either a curb or pothole hit. Well, I know I didn't hit a curb, but the roads around Boulder are really taking a beating with the weather of late and there are many deep nasty potholes around. I also remember hitting one the other night fairly hard. So, I guess that could have caused it.

It's costing me $426 to replace the Bridgestone run flat that is on it. I found the same tire at TireRack for $222 shipped in two days. I also found the same tire locally at Discount tire for about $351. When I asked the service guy about the big differences, he told me that BMW contracts with various manufacturers to produce "special runs" according to BMW specs and that they are only marked by a color star stamp on the tires. He went on to say that they take into account the negative chamber and, particular car, etc. and that if I bought one outside of BMW, that it would most likely wear funny and not perform as well.

Is this correct? Thoughts?

thanks,
Renard

Sorry to say that but it looks like you've been looking at non-RFT tires. Bridgestone RE 050A RFTs are $299 even at tirerack.com. If you want to save some money just get the tire from tirerack and have a local shop install it. That what I did when my 545 got a similar damage. The local shop will likely damage the rim in the process though. I would also ignore the dealer's advice/explanation.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:44 AM
Contributors

You should send the dealer a link to this site. Once he sees that we all know that he is a BS'er, he will think twice before fooling other BMW owners.

People like this disturb me.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:31 AM
Contributors

I heard they raise special BMW cows for use in the leather seats.

Sorry to hear your dealer is so full of it. :thumbsdown:
Old 02-20-2007, 08:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Some salesman!

But of course the tyre have to be the same as the old one,
and there are tyres that are BMW recommended.

I.e. if you have 275/30 R19 96Y the new tyre should be excatly the same,
also the 96Y part.

Quick Reply: BMW "special" tires