E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW SHOULD USE THIS LINE TO COUNTER LEXUS

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 03:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

Here's a video of the Lexus trying to "park" itself.

Video: 2007 Lexus LS460 (sort of) PARKS ITSELF!

:'(
Old 11-17-2006, 03:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

It seems like the conditions need to be just right for it to work properly.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

That video is HILARIOUS!
Old 11-17-2006, 07:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='357160
Here's a video of the Lexus trying to "park" itself.

Video: 2007 Lexus LS460 (sort of) PARKS ITSELF!

:'(
and it doesnt even work
Old 11-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='357146' date='Nov 16 2006, 11:42 PM
It's not about whether people can use it or not, but it's about Lexus' marketing strategy is that it wants to show off and tell the world that it is "inventing", not copying. However, to me, Lexus is still way behind Mercedes and BMW in terms of prestige and drivability.
Looks at tire size of Lexus LS460, it's so pathetic: P235/50VR18. It's even smaller than E60 front tires This still proves that Lexus needs to improve more. This tire size makes car look so wimpy and more like "prestige wanna be" car.

You're perfectly right, "who really need this parking utility probably won't be savvy enough to operate it properly."

What does tire size has to do with prestige? Plus, a non-sport E60 comes with 17" rims and tires. What are you talking about? A lot of stuff that BMW vehicles have are useless in my opinion, but they gotta have it in order to show that it has something others don't, that's all. Head Up Display? Come on. Mitsubishi could come with something like that, so what? As far as I know, Lexus's navigation system is far more user-friendly than BMW's, now, that is something important and useful for daily driving. Don't even mention Benz vehicles to me, they are pathetic. All I know is if Benz's $50k+ vehicles are not as reliable as a Honda Civic, then this expensive brand has problems. Before you despise others, first look into the mirror to see if you have problems yourself first. BMW and Benz has a lot to learn from Lexus, and of course, Lexus has a lot to learn from those two as well. You think Lexus owners couldn't afford BMW or M-B? They CHOSE NOT TO.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35' post='357484
You think Lexus owners couldn't afford BMW or M-B? They CHOSE NOT TO.
Thats very true... they're priced close enough to not be a problem for most people who chose to purchase these kind of vehicles.. but BMW drives a ton better.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

great video.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='357505' date='Nov 17 2006, 10:27 PM
I must be a minority... but I have both and I find the iDrive more user friendly and non-restrictive... the Lexus once you move more than 3mph everything is locked up I cant use NAV... I cant see MP3 titles... I cant use my phone on the NAV screen, I cant see incomming phone numbers... its virtually useless once the car is moving.

At least BMW keeps everything unlocked when the car is moving.

I seriously think BMWs hierarchy layout is much better than Lexus'... you get lost inside Lexus' NAV system.
Thats very true... they're priced close enough to not be a problem for most people who chose to purchase these kind of vehicles.. but BMW drives a ton better.

The BMW Nav system is nice in that you can operate while driving. But that is the only advantage. Lexus blows BMW away on every other aspect of the Nav.

The worst part about the BMW Navigation is that you can't search for POI by name. Only sorted by distance. This is a nightmare. I will retell my BMW navigation story to illustrate how piss-poor the BMW Nav search really is.

A few months ago, I wanted to play golf at the Ritz-Carlton Club here in Orlando. The course is located at the Grande Lakes Resort, which is co-owned by Marriott and Ritz-Carlton. So, to find the course I could use the following landmarks:

JW Marriott Hotel
Ritz-Carlton Hotel
Ritz-Carlton Golf Club

So far, simple enough.... right? So I click Navigation, Information, and On Destination. I enter the city name, Orlando. Then I look for Hotels. I get a list of hotels in Orlando, sorted by distance from downtown.

Well..... do you have any idea how many hotels are in Orlando? This is the number 1 vacation destination in the world. There's more hotels here than you can imagine. So, I have to scroll through a list of hotels that is 10 miles long. And, to make things worse.... the list of hotels is not even alphabetized. So I can't cruise through until I see M for Marriott. I have to sit there and glance at every entry as I scroll.

This is simply unacceptable.... and BMW should be ashamed.

On every other navigation system I have ever used, this search would have been as simple as this:

Search by POI
Type Orlando
Look for Hotels
Type in Marriott
I get a list of all Marriott hotels in Orlando. There are probably 10 of them. I scroll this small list, and find the JW Marriott.

And I'm done. Probably took less than 1 minute. And I'm off.

With BMW, I could be scrolling for 10 or 15 minutes and still never find it.

Of course, I know the reason why BMW doesn't have this feature. It is because they want you to use BMW Assist, and pay them to look up the address for you. Very sneaky of them.

And.... there's no way to compare a Lexus to a BMW or Merc in terms of price. They are MUCH cheaper. Last time I was at a Lexus dealer, I drove up in my E60... and this sales guy began making jokes about how I needed to "upgrade" to a GS430 (or whatever the V8 GS is). I think the price on the thing was in the mid to high $50,000s for a loaded GS. My E60 sticker was $67,865, and it wasn't even loaded. I didn't get HUD, Cold Weather Pack or Sun Shades.

Not even in the same ballpark.

Maybe the new LS is trying to be more like BMW and Merc.... but in general, Lexus is less expensive.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='357605' date='Nov 18 2006, 03:54 PM
Maybe the new LS is trying to be more like BMW and Merc.... but in general, Lexus is less expensive.
Too close to call here for similarly specced cars.

Down to territorial marketing of course.

ABC
Old 11-18-2006, 08:00 AM
Contributors

Few months ago on this forum there was a video of a 7 series with a self parking feature. I thought it was a good idea, since so many people can't seem to nail a parallel park.

10 years from now we'll probably be jawing about the different self-driving systems available. . . .

Quick Reply: BMW SHOULD USE THIS LINE TO COUNTER LEXUS