E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW shifts gears, increases prices, shifts allocations

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

BMW will cut production, shift allocations to "high-demand" markets, and raise prices world-wide, the company announced in a conference call yesterday. The interim call, noted Dr. Michael Ganal, member of the board of BMW AG responsible for finance, was held "earlier than usual" given a confluence of developments that are adversely impacting the company's profitability.
Click here for an in-depth analysis
Old 08-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Interesting... but MINI is spelled "MINI" not "Mini"
Old 08-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

Interesting... I do wonder how long before we in the US see this in effect. I was sort of planning on trading the E60 to get an E70, but if prices increase to much I just might be forced to keep the E60. If you're wondering the E70 will accommodate my lifestyle a little better... While I will always love my E60 a E70 happens to fit the active family a little better.

-Jay
Old 08-01-2008, 09:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='637930' date='Aug 2 2008, 01:20 AM
Interesting... but MINI is spelled "MINI" not "Mini"
uh, no, that's how BMW spells it but not how we or almost any publication with a proper style sheet would spell it
Old 08-02-2008, 06:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

I've felt for a couple years that BMW's price increases in the US were not adequately adjusting to the dollar's weakening... in fact in some ways amazed at what a value you get in 2008 versus 2006 given the dollar against the euro. Sounds like that will change, makes me glad I bought when I did versus hanging on for the F10 or something.

Thanks Jon for posting this,

Cal
Old 08-02-2008, 06:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='637934' date='Aug 1 2008, 10:26 PM
uh, no, that's how BMW spells it but not how we or almost any publication with a proper style sheet would spell it
Umm last time I checked most publications spell it the way BMW spells it, "MINI", thats how you can distinguish it from the old Mini (pre BMW) maybe YOU and your people spell it the "Mini" way. Proper style? Like proper English? Suuuuure
Old 08-02-2008, 06:59 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='638032' date='Aug 2 2008, 10:19 AM
I've felt for a couple years that BMW's price increases in the US were not adequately adjusting to the dollar's weakening... in fact in some ways amazed at what a value you get in 2008 versus 2006 given the dollar against the euro. Sounds like that will change, makes me glad I bought when I did versus hanging on for the F10 or something.

Thanks Jon for posting this,

Cal
BMW hedges currency futures for many year into the future, so they don't need to charge increases in lockstep with the deflated dollar.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='638038' date='Aug 2 2008, 10:38 AM
Umm last time I checked most publications spell it the way BMW spells it, "MINI", thats how you can distinguish it from the old Mini (pre BMW) maybe YOU and your people spell it the "Mini" way. Proper style? Like proper English? Suuuuure
You might want to check again...

A quick glance at both the Car and Driver, Autoweek and Automobile magazine websites clearly indicate that Jonathan is correct here.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='638038' date='Aug 2 2008, 10:38 AM
What BMW does is irrelevant.

Here is a link to the WSJ - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121562602527239769.html
NY Times - http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/11/automobi...mini&st=cse
The Economist - http://www.economist.com/science/displayst...ory_id=11518489
Associated Press - http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archiv...l_useweights=no

All require the use of "Mini" as part of their style sheet, not the contrived MINI. Most publications follow the AP Style guide so the AP may be the biggest influence in terms of what publications will run.

The AP Style Book Q&A also has an answer for this at http://www.apstylebook.com/ask_editor.php

How do you handle bands or companies that use all caps in their names? Example: RATT (a band). Do you follow the capitalization given on the official Web sites for the bands and companies, or just use an initial cap? ? from Seattle, WA on Thu, Jul 17, 2008
AP stories spell it Ratt. That's the pattern for other such names.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='638043' date='Aug 2 2008, 07:59 AM
BMW hedges currency futures for many year into the future, so they don't need to charge increases in lockstep with the deflated dollar.
Oh, I'm sure you're right.... but reading their press release it's obvious they've traded volume for price and now intend to give up some share via steep pricing discipline. Hedged currency futures or no, we're going to see serious price moves from them it appears.

Cal

Quick Reply: BMW shifts gears, increases prices, shifts allocations