E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW scan tool verses INPA with laptop

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 12:04 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 535xi touring
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by JA Lava
Hey all. I’m new to bmw and I’m leaning towards the pc way for diagnosis and coding such as battery change. Digital mph things like that. I’m clueless on what to buy. Like cable and software. I have a 2008 528xi. Any help would be appreciated
Unless you really want to dig into your car's ECUs with INPA go with the Carly system. Bluetooth adapter works well for basic coding like the digital speedometer and diagnostic codes etc...

I use both but Carly does about 90% of what I want.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:07 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 528xi
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by bmwmonkey
Unless you really want to dig into your car's ECUs with INPA go with the Carly system. Bluetooth adapter works well for basic coding like the digital speedometer and diagnostic codes etc...

I use Carly also for my coding, battery reset and service reset, although Carly may show error codes that may be generic, and Carly has also been known to show codes but in actuality they ended up being false, that's when Inpa kicks in and actually just used it to reinitialize my rain solar sensor and clear codes the right way
Old 02-17-2018, 02:30 PM
New Members

My Ride: 528xi loaded

Originally Posted by spazzz
I bought a Twisted Tuning K+Dcan cable and the BimmerGeeks has standard tools.
Then all you need to do is google.

That cable and the software connected first time easy. Just follow the instructions in the package.
you happen to have the link? Thanks for the reply
Old 02-17-2018, 02:32 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by bmwmonkey

I keep hearing carly keeps charging you for different things. I do hear good things about it though.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:14 AM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: XHP&MHD

Originally Posted by JA Lava

you happen to have the link? Thanks for the reply
I am not sure if links are allowed.

Do a google with bimmergeeks as the search. You will see it as the first result. Download standard tools.
I was going to buy the cable from them but they were out of the office for awhile. I bought it from twisted tuning because it is the same bummergeek pro cable.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:15 AM
New Members

I am not sure if links are allowed.

Do a google with bimmergeeks as the search. You will see it as the first result. Download standard tools.
I was going to buy the cable from them but they were out of the office for awhile. I bought it from twisted tuning because it is the same bummergeek pro cable.
This will let me do everything carly would? I found the cable. Thanks for all the help
Old 02-19-2018, 01:42 PM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: XHP&MHD

Well sure with some coding. Carly is the easy way with only what they give you for coding options.
With NCS-Expert and the other tools you can code whatever.
I needed to register my battery( done with Toolset32) and code out my headlight washers(NCS-Expert).
The registering would have been extra with Carly and the headlight washer coding wasn't available with Carly.
So I won with BMW Standard tools and a little homework.
I am not an expert but can get it done. It all depends what your goals are. I wanted an open ended solution.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:38 PM
New Members

Well sure with some coding. Carly is the easy way with only what they give you for coding options.
With NCS-Expert and the other tools you can code whatever.
I needed to register my battery( done with Toolset32) and code out my headlight washers(NCS-Expert).
The registering would have been extra with Carly and the headlight washer coding wasn't available with Carly.
So I won with BMW Standard tools and a little homework.
I am not an expert but can get it done. It all depends what your goals are. I wanted an open ended solution.
thanks for the help and advice. It’s greatly appreciated
Old 02-22-2018, 11:17 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 530XI
Model Year: 2007
Engine: 3.0
Exclamation Diagnostic opinion

Hey my fellow bmw e60 enthusiasts!
New to the site and got a question.

ok. Got an 07 530xi,had it a couple years with 122k on the clock. Did some normal bmw repairs like waterpump, altinator, and of course the battery. I'm running into the more complicated bmw repairs that would require some diagnostic work like "" the dredded red steering wheel on the dash"" it was on the car when I originally bought it btw. Another issue will be the "lcm" light module causing the headlight and blinkers to intermittently work with the "pull over!" On the i-drive.

question:
Would the bimmergeeks pro-cable and k+dcan/inpa download work well for my e60 platform as far as all around diagnosing, programming/reprogramming/updating/coding and registering components on the car.

and if I buy the cable they offer do you know if they send the software on a disk or do I have to download it from the home page.

thanks in advance guys!
Old 02-24-2018, 07:06 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Smokinaces87
Hey my fellow bmw e60 enthusiasts!
New to the site and got a question.

ok. Got an 07 530xi,had it a couple years with 122k on the clock. Did some normal bmw repairs like waterpump, altinator, and of course the battery. I'm running into the more complicated bmw repairs that would require some diagnostic work like "" the dredded red steering wheel on the dash"" it was on the car when I originally bought it btw. Another issue will be the "lcm" light module causing the headlight and blinkers to intermittently work with the "pull over!" On the i-drive.

question:
Would the bimmergeeks pro-cable and k+dcan/inpa download work well for my e60 platform as far as all around diagnosing, programming/reprogramming/updating/coding and registering components on the car.

and if I buy the cable they offer do you know if they send the software on a disk or do I have to download it from the home page.

thanks in advance guys!
I went on ebay ebay and ordered the cable and it came with the software for $30 and free shipping. Got it to connect to my 528xi but am a novice with this but there’s a ton of info on how to do things. As far as i can tell it can pretty much do it all. The software comes with 5 programs