E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW says tranny jerk normal

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i sport SAT 2012 535i Xdrive msport 2007 550i Sport w/SMG (gone) 2000 528i (gone) 1991 535i (gone)

Originally Posted by juris335' post='967035' date='Aug 5 2009, 10:28 PM
Yes. Normal, just like it is normal that your car won't start unless you drive it one hour per day or more...

you know what, I have that problem also. Thats why I own a battery tender as BMW recommended. If I let the car sit one day without driving it, the clock and time goes....a "high battery discharge" message is presented. I guess that the rest of the auto manufactuers are just not normal, lucky for us
Old 08-08-2009, 05:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='966515' date='Aug 5 2009, 01:16 PM
Transmission Slam is NOT normal, and unless you are insistent, BMW will just keep putting you off! After several software fix attempts etc. they replaced my transmission, and it has not Slammed again since! Stay vigilant and get that transmission!
Unfortunately, this is all too true. I recently went through the same issues with my 545. I experienced "the slam" and thanks to this forum knew that it would not be a simple one trip to the dealer to resolve. My first visit, they responded with the "we've reset some settings and installed new software per BMW NA" and it is all fixed. While that did soften the 2-1 jerk while stopping, it did nothing for the slam. Any transmission work results in a PUMA case with BMW NA, and the dealers are forced to follow their direction. The same day I picked the car up, the slam occurred again, so I took it back.

For the second trip, I had a different SA and explained the situation. If you are experiencing the slam, make sure you are detailed in describing your problem. It seems that they are more apt to pass off the issue if the complaint is about a harsh 2-1 downshift while stopping. Their first response to me on the second trip was that they had some new software to alleviate that problem. I told them him that we already went through that, and after a lengthy discussion with the SA, I made it clear that the issue was with the slam, which occurs while accelerating away from an almost stop. With a new PUMA case opened, and a few days of back and forth with BMW NA, they finally approved a replacement transmission.

I got lucky and it only took two trips to the dealer to get them to replace the transmission. However, I did not simply accept their first answer that it was fixed. So far, with the new transmission, I have not experienced any issues. Before this, I was ready to get rid of my car - now it drives like it should and I will be keeping it!

~griff
Old 08-08-2009, 05:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by lee1224' post='967196' date='Aug 6 2009, 02:18 AM
How do I go about pushing harder,
this is what you do... dont take no for an answer, call them every day! seriously, call every day... you dont even have to talk about your car, you can talk about the sun and the moon, but just call every day. and make sure to be nice. they will eventually break down or call the police persistence my friend, persistence keep us posted
Old 08-08-2009, 05:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Production date: 02/04 Color: Black Sapphire Metallic Trim: Anthracite Options: Sport package with STEPTRONIC, Premium Sound, Rear Sunshade, Xenon

Be presistent...the saying..."the squeeky wheel always get the oil".....make as much noise as possible...do not take no for an answer.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport SAT 2012 535i Xdrive msport 2007 550i Sport w/SMG (gone) 2000 528i (gone) 1991 535i (gone)

Originally Posted by Griff' post='969394' date='Aug 8 2009, 08:14 AM
Unfortunately, this is all too true. I recently went through the same issues with my 545. I experienced "the slam" and thanks to this forum knew that it would not be a simple one trip to the dealer to resolve. My first visit, they responded with the "we've reset some settings and installed new software per BMW NA" and it is all fixed. While that did soften the 2-1 jerk while stopping, it did nothing for the slam. Any transmission work results in a PUMA case with BMW NA, and the dealers are forced to follow their direction. The same day I picked the car up, the slam occurred again, so I took it back.

For the second trip, I had a different SA and explained the situation. If you are experiencing the slam, make sure you are detailed in describing your problem. It seems that they are more apt to pass off the issue if the complaint is about a harsh 2-1 downshift while stopping. Their first response to me on the second trip was that they had some new software to alleviate that problem. I told them him that we already went through that, and after a lengthy discussion with the SA, I made it clear that the issue was with the slam, which occurs while accelerating away from an almost stop. With a new PUMA case opened, and a few days of back and forth with BMW NA, they finally approved a replacement transmission.

I got lucky and it only took two trips to the dealer to get them to replace the transmission. However, I did not simply accept their first answer that it was fixed. So far, with the new transmission, I have not experienced any issues. Before this, I was ready to get rid of my car - now it drives like it should and I will be keeping it!

~griff

Well, finally went and pickup up my car today. I live 80 miles from closest dealer, I must say driving it home through the mountains did put a smile back on my face. I told the sales manager how the rep at BMW customer relations suggested that a 535 or even a 530 may be better suited for me, and he wanted to call them and file a complaint on how they are treating its customers. At least someone kind of agreed with me, at the least the part about the 530 or 535 sarcasm.

I requested all service records on my car and will think about next step. On my car I notice the jerking motion when coming to stop is a lot more noticeable when car cold. As for the "slam", I have not really noticed it, will have to pay more attention to see if it exist.

Thanks for everyone's support here. Was happy to return the 328xi loaner, I sure did miss the active steering while I had the loaner.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Members

My Ride: stock 530i 2005

mine only have upshift jerk (only once or twice per month)
but i never experienced any downshift jerk
Old 08-09-2009, 01:42 PM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

It's not normal. BMW has had this problem since 2006 when they went to the new 6 speed auto. It's only normal because BMW can't seem to fix it.