E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW rubber and plastic......poor choice, or designed to fail?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 09:23 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by cakes
so true - My boss has an A7 and he joked the other day that his car leaks so much oil we can put a pan on it and use that oil for our own oil changes.

The other day my dad pointed out the drying trim on my front windshield and then went to show me the rubber on his lexus GS which is 10 years older and it's in much better shape.
Wow, the oldest Audi A7 can only be 5 years old (first one was released in 2010). That is barely out of a typical factory warranty, and the thing is already leaking that bad!
Old 04-20-2015, 10:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a four-time BMW owner, starting in the 70's, (Bavaria, 2002tii) my clear impression was, and still is, that BMW's are simply NOT durable. Everything is meant to wear out. BMW is focused on leasing cars, which doesn't rely on cars being durable beyond the lease term. Talk about rubber, my 1979 MB 450SL had the original heating system hoses when I sold it in 2005, with 250K miles. They were considered to be good for 30+ years.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 6 speed manual
Model Year: 2006

The longevity of rubber/plastic components seems to be a common issue with German automobiles. I owned 2 Mercedes sedans prior to my current E60 and the dashboards cracked/peeled and other rubber gaskets failed well before one would expect.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:50 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by EddieboyS
The longevity of rubber/plastic components seems to be a common issue with German automobiles.
Yet that has not been my experience. I have owned 8 BMWs since 1971, having driven 1,500,000kms, the longest stint 666,000kms (20 yrs) on a 1988 325is, and I have not experienced less than normal longevity for rubber components, including my present 2005 545 at 245,000 kms (bought used at 110,000kms).

That said, all the engines did leak a bit of oil, usually at the oil pan, but not so seriously that I had to change gaskets outside of normal routine. The cooling system hoses etc. were changed at a normal interval (160,000kms), before any leaks or failures.

Take care of the fluids (coolant, lubricants, hydraulics and fuel, change them at proper intervals) and drive the cars as they should be driven, within their design parameters and you should get normal longevity from rubber and plastic components, not to mention other components such as valve seals and injectors.

Another thing, aside from tires, don't modify!

Salut, Bob P.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:01 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
Yet that has not been my experience. I have owned 8 BMWs since 1971, having driven 1,500,000kms, the longest stint 666,000kms (20 yrs) on a 1988 325is, and I have not experienced less than normal longevity for rubber components, including my present 2005 545 at 245,000 kms (bought used at 110,000kms).

That said, all the engines did leak a bit of oil, usually at the oil pan, but not so seriously that I had to change gaskets outside of normal routine. The cooling system hoses etc. were changed at a normal interval (160,000kms), before any leaks or failures.

Take care of the fluids (coolant, lubricants, hydraulics and fuel, change them at proper intervals) and drive the cars as they should be driven, within their design parameters and you should get normal longevity from rubber and plastic components, not to mention other components such as valve seals and injectors.

Salut, Bob P.
C'mon Bob, I've driven M20 powered E20s since 1998 (still have my red one), and you know as well as I do that M20s seep oil from the valve covers and head gaskets within 5,000 miles of replacing them. You mean to tell me your valve cover gaskets NEVER leak on your E30? you NEVER get that infamous drip of oil on the little tab that sticks out from the head gasket?...I know you do, because everyone with these cars does.

I find it awfully hard to believe that you have an 11 year old 545i that isn't leaking a moderate amount of oil. There are two types of BMWs: those that leak oil, and the i3. They ALL leak oil at some point.

As for the 'don't modify' line, even BMW modifies its cars at the dealer level (Dinan).

BMW has confirmed numerous times that they are using synthetic rubbers derived from soy in many seals, trim components, and wiring. It is common knowledge that these wear out prematurely. I would love to see your 545i in person; I promise I would find degraded rubber somewhere on the car.

I'm sure you mean well and are a very nice person, but your posts always seem like they come from fantasy land.

Last edited by KyleB; 04-22-2015 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:35 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.

Originally Posted by KyleB
you know as well as I do that M20s seep oil from the valve covers and head gaskets within 5,000 miles of replacing them. You mean to tell me your valve cover gaskets NEVER leak on your E30? you NEVER get that infamous drip of oil on the little tab that sticks out from the head gasket?...I know you do, because everyone with these cars does.

I find it awfully hard to believe that you have an 11 year old 545i that isn't leaking a moderate amount of oil. There are two types of BMWs: those that leak oil, and the i3. They ALL leak oil at some point.

I think that my original post stated that all my engines leaked a little oil, but not enough to warrant repairs, and yes the 545 also, but not enough to get all excited about.

As for the 'don't modify' line, even BMW modifies its cars at the dealer level (Dinan).

And I would like to corrolate those with unusual problems later.

BMW has confirmed numerous times that they are using synthetic rubbers derived from soy in many seals, trim components, and wiring. It is common knowledge that these wear out prematurely. I would love to see your 545i in person; I promise I would find degraded rubber somewhere on the car.

Well, I have a door seal rubber that is ripped! Must have been my golf shoes touching them. Treating rubber door seals etc. with a silcon based ointment works very well in preserving their service life, especially in extreme cold weather.

I'm sure you mean well and are a very nice person, but your posts always seem like they come from fantasy land.
I prefer to refer to myself as coming from the Mythbuster land.

I shall refrain from commenting on what I think of some of your posts, although most of them are correct as far as they go.

With respect, Bob P.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:00 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Rubbish. Cool blue font though. Thanks for reassuring me that my posts are correct, I needed that :eyeroll:

Happy motoring.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner

Salut, Bob P.
i think the fact that you live further up north in a cooler climate, extends the life of your rubber components. whereas cars in a hotter climate, deteriorate real fast.
i've seen several members from florida having their wire insulation disintegrate inside their headlights.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:07 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
Thanks for reassuring me that my posts are correct, I needed that :eyeroll:
You commented on my posts, so I thought that I would (not) return in kind, without the rude remarks, of course.

Respectfully, Bob P.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:17 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
i think the fact that you live further up north in a cooler climate, extends the life of your rubber components. whereas cars in a hotter climate, deteriorate real fast.
i've seen several members from florida having their wire insulation disintegrate inside their headlights.
I agree that cooler climates are easier on rubber components, but only if one uses the car often to keep the seals etc at normal operating temperatures. letting a car sit in cold dry weather really dries out the seals and rubber components - plastic also.

I think that a lot of the wire insulation disintegration inside of headlights has a lot to do with modifications done to the headlights - i.e. higher wattage - causing overheating of the wiring and insulation, which makes it worse in warmer climates, hence my warning about modifications.

Salut, Bob P.

Quick Reply: BMW rubber and plastic......poor choice, or designed to fail?