E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Roadside Assistance question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 06:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i2008 535i Monaco Blue PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7, NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS, iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim

Recently, my factory warranty ran out and I was prompted by BMW to keep up the BMW Assist subscription (at $199 per year), which I did. Today, I receive another letter inviting me to extend my subscription for BMW Roadside Assistance for a yearly fee of $99.
Reading through the BMW Assist brochure, it mentions that it covers an Extended Roadside Assistance program already. Why then would I need another roadside assistance coverage?
Old 03-02-2012, 06:37 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Probably extra marketing materials. That or they just want more of your money.

BMW Roadside is pretty weak in my opinion. I use AAA Plus and get more while paying less.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i2008 535i Monaco Blue PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7, NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS, iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim

I have AAA Pus for our other car, which would also be good for the bimmer. I just didn't understand why they offered BMW Roadside in addition to BMW Assist.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Funny, mine expired a while back as well too and I received a letter just the other day to renew for the year at 99.00. I'm thinking now this might have been a second discounted offer but I'm not 100% sure since I only received the one. I read it an chuncked it. Not that its not worth it, It's just wasn't worth it to me. I don't think I ever used the original one.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by baveagle
Recently, my factory warranty ran out and I was prompted by BMW to keep up the BMW Assist subscription (at $199 per year), which I did. Today, I receive another letter inviting me to extend my subscription for BMW Roadside Assistance for a yearly fee of $99.
Reading through the BMW Assist brochure, it mentions that it covers an Extended Roadside Assistance program already. Why then would I need another roadside assistance coverage?
Two separate coverages ... Roadside assistance ($99) does not offer the features offered by BMW assist - like using gps and telephony to locate your car if it's stolen or if there is an air bag deployment [eligible for a comprehensive insurance policy discount] and notifying BMW when service is required, and roadside assistance too. That said, I think $199/year is pricey if you don't ever need to use it - but isn't that what insurance is all about. BTW, it's pricing is in line with other programs like GM's On-Star except that it's included for 4 yrs with BMW and I think GM's is 'free' for one year.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use AAA which extends to all of my vehicles, so I found it to be the better option.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Two separate coverages ... Roadside assistance ($99) does not offer the features offered by BMW assist - like using gps and telephony to locate your car if it's stolen or if there is an air bag deployment [eligible for a comprehensive insurance policy discount] and notifying BMW when service is required, and roadside assistance too. That said, I think $199/year is pricey if you don't ever need to use it - but isn't that what insurance is all about. BTW, it's pricing is in line with other programs like GM's On-Star except that it's included for 4 yrs with BMW and I think GM's is 'free' for one year.
Thanks for clearing this up for me. I will skip BMW Roadside Assistance, especially since we have a family AAA subscription. I will definitely keep BMW Assist and consider it insurance and hope to actually never needing it. I forgot about about applying for the insurance premium discount and will do that next week.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by baveagle
BMW Assist is actually enhanced Roadside Assistance so disregard the letter.

I got a letter too - and I have the BMW Concierge service. Seems like there was some database/marketing slip up and they mailed out letters to people who weren't supposed to get one.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Last I knew On-Star was free for 6 months when you purchased a new GM vehicle.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pukka
Last I knew On-Star was free for 6 months when you purchased a new GM vehicle.
That's good to know when I negotiate a swap of my BMW for a Chevy ;-) ... they also offer a 3 month trial if you purchase a GM Certified pre-owned - what a bargain!

BTW on-star is in line with BMW Assist and Concierge pricing http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/planspricing