E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Replacing Dunlops RFTs with Goodyear Eagles??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 04:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.
Thumbs down

Hey All,
Earlier this week, I saw this post and responded (below), but it has now scrolled far down the board, without any comment. This strikes me as serious news, if in fact, BMW is finally authorizing regular Goodyears to replace Dunlop Thumpflats. (Goodyear now owns Dunlop) Anyone else seen or heard of this?

Original Post and My Response
QUOTE(Hatchman50 @ May 16 2006, 07:17 PM)

Yeah...the SA has been at my dealership for 10 years and is a Senior SA, yet he swears that he had never seen or heard of that particular TSB. He called me back a second time and told me that I was getting new Conti's. Then he called me back a third time and said BMW does not authorize Conti's and I was getting Goodyear Eagles. OK with me.

I agree with you about informing BMWNA. (if they haven't already been)

WHOA! THIS IS NEWS!

Goodyears instead of Dunlops...They have always only replaced same-brand tires, and relied (read: blamed it) on Dunlop to do the deal. This is NEWS. There may be some light at the end of the tunnel for those of us who just keep getting the same Dunlop crap (well, they are now a division of Goodyear, so maybe that explains it).

Cheers, and you are welcome.
Ray Hull

Let's check this out...
Ray Hull
Old 05-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

Ray,

Good eye. My second pair of Dunlop's are starting to become noisy. Probably another 2K miles 'til its too much. I have about 7000k miles on this set.

Needless to say, I will be requesting a new set per the TSB, and the selfish me says "another set of Dunlop's that will be replaced again in 7-10K", but really I'd like a solution.

Wonder if in fact what you have deduced is accurate, and if so, why the change to Goodyear? No inner tread wear noise issues? Better internal deal for BMW? Who knows? <_<

545inow
Old 05-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm happy with the old setup -- free tires every 7 or 8 thousand miles -- why would I want anything else?

I'm happy with the Dunlops as long as they're not roaring...
Old 05-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 525i, sport package & all the other goodies included

I ended up getting free Goodyear NCT5 RFT's as replacements for the Dunflops. I did not want another set of Dunflops on my car. The SA said that it is the only Goodyear tire authorized by BMW. The only problem I have with them is they are summer tires only. I had asked the SA on the phone if they were all-season and he said yes. Goodyear site does not recommend winter use. I should be utilizing winter tires here in NJ anyway in the winter, so now I have to. They are extremely quiet thus far and have excellent dry road handling. I have heard numerous complaints about less than good handling in the rain.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Son of a Gun. almost 9K miles... where are my Free Eagle F1s? My Thumpflats are still not Thumping...
Old 05-20-2006, 12:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

there were big issues with Dunlop runflats in Europe, too. The Bridgestone runflats are nicknamed brickstone for their crashy ride and the Goodyears are regarded the best comfort performance compromise now.

The 18" runflat on my m-sport 535d were Goodyear from the factory.

I still rplaced them for 19" non rft
Old 05-20-2006, 12:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i Touring, M Sport, build date 10/05, Silver Grey, Black leather, Maple Anthracite, Anthracite roof lining, panorama roof, M Aerodynamic, M Steering wheel, M Sport suspension, sport seats, shadow line, 135 M wheels, Goodyear NCT 5 runflats, and some other stuff too.

My car came from the factory with Goodyear NCT5 runflats. Note the build date. This is old news, or perhaps not news at all.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by maninblack' post='285187' date='May 20 2006, 04:47 AM
My car came from the factory with Goodyear NCT5 runflats. Note the build date. This is old news, or perhaps not news at all.
What the car comes with from the factory doesn't really apply to the news that BMW is replacing the noisy Dunlops with Goodyear tires. From the very beginning, some cars came with Dunlops, some cars came with Bridgestones, etc.

The service bulletin that addresses the noisy Dunlops specifically states that "Dunlop tires, when available, will be used for replacement." It goes on to say "If the specified Dunlop tires are not available, please contact The BMW Tire Center for other BMW approved tires that can be used as substitutes."

Its possible that the tires they put on the original poster's car were Goodyears because no Dunlops were available or maybe they used up the supply of Dunlops because so many of us got them replaced...
Old 05-20-2006, 07:48 AM
Members

My car just came back from service this past week with new Dunlops.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='285255' date='May 20 2006, 03:25 PM
Its possible that the tires they put on the original poster's car were Goodyears because no Dunlops were available or maybe they used up the supply of Dunlops because so many of us got them replaced...
Mine are GoodYear NCT5s from the factory.

Built Week 13.

ABC

Quick Reply: BMW Replacing Dunlops RFTs with Goodyear Eagles??