E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Recall Letter

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi

I called BMW NA today and like 5rivers said, BMW is supposed to be sending letters out at the end of the month. If you have severe braking problems the BMW rep said that you can take your bimmer in for service and once you get the letter in the mail you can file for reimbursement. Sounds like a headache to me, but I just have the stiff pedal at start up symptom so I will hopefully be alright until the end of the month.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

what is bmw actually going to change?
Old 10-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Originally Posted by Razz
I called BMW NA today and like 5rivers said, BMW is supposed to be sending letters out at the end of the month. If you have severe braking problems the BMW rep said that you can take your bimmer in for service and once you get the letter in the mail you can file for reimbursement. Sounds like a headache to me, but I just have the stiff pedal at start up symptom so I will hopefully be alright until the end of the month.
Yes. That's what I was told too. I too think it will be a headache to get the money back afterwards. What they didn't tell you is that the stealership will charge you the $160 diagnostic to even look at the car. And knowing some idiotic SAs at the dealers, they' just try to milk you for something else since many of us 545 owners are out of warranty. I do still have mechanical braking like the recall says, but I just need to give myself some more room in case of panic stops.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Originally Posted by turboawd
what is bmw actually going to change?
My indy BMW guys says it's going to be the check valve on the vacuum line and the power brake booster. He says that if the check valves leak, the oil will leak into the booster which should not happen. So they'll swap the whole vacuum line and the booster. They might also end up changing the vacuum pump if it's leaking. This is a very expensive repair that we'll be getting for free. Jut the parts alone are like $1000.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Contributors

I already had my vacuum pump / brake booster replaced before the recall when it was still under warranty it went out on me.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Members

Do you think they change your brake fluid while they're at it?
Old 10-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Originally Posted by ivan545
I already had my vacuum pump / brake booster replaced before the recall when it was still under warranty it went out on me.
Yeah same here about 2 years ago. Complete waste of time as it didn't resolve my hard pedal @ start-up symptoms. My guess they replaced it with the same faulty parts that is being recalled now. Looks like they'll finally get to replace it all again...I hope. Haven't gotten a letter yet either
Old 11-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade.

Just curious to see if anyone has received their letter as I have not.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bdaddylo
Just curious to see if anyone has received their letter as I have not.
I called BMW N.A. yesterday, and the person I spoke with said that the letters are being mailed out in batches starting this week. She could not confirm for me when I would be receiving my letter, though she did state that we need to have letters in hand in order for the recall repairs to be completed at no charge to us.

As an aside, the requirement to have a letter in hand makes no sense to me, considering that the recall is being done on a VIN basis, and dealer service centers obviously can look up your VIN to check whether your vehicle is subject to the recall or not.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Contributors

What exactly is the recall about?
I take it from the posts that it has to do with the brake system. Does anybody have a copy of the letter that they can post?

I've had a firm brake paddle for over a year. I complained to my BMW Service rep. about it last Dec.
They said they checked it out and everything was normal.

Quick Reply: BMW Recall Letter