E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Recall ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 07:11 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Znod' post='313476' date='Jul 20 2006, 10:53 PM
Hi cd:

Watch the cones on the next lap. How's the g-meter testing, if any, going? And, how is your car running?
Car running just fine. However, no testing now, just too darn hot. Been real busy launching and getting ready for more launches so I have not been up to my normal post rate. Have just jumped in now and then to offer help where I can, but have not joined in on any "fun" topics.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='313669' date='Jul 21 2006, 10:11 AM
Car running just fine. However, no testing now, just too darn hot. Been real busy launching and getting ready for more launches so I have not been up to my normal post rate. Have just jumped in now and then to offer help where I can, but have not joined in on any "fun" topics.
I understand what you mean on all accounts. And, I emphasize the hot part. It's been hot everywhere. 115F here today. And watch those unsafe and illegal activities. Our moral and legal maven (not meaning the mods) is watching and might scold you for your foibles--even though I am the only one he usually is after Gee he might even mention the police in your area as though ....
Old 07-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i

Called the BMW dealer in Bitburg today, and talked to a tech about the High speed handling issues I am having. My 530 is US spec. They asked for the last 7 of the VIN, and told me that it had an open recall on the rear struts. I am going to get it looked at next friday. So if Germany is recalling them I imagine that BMW in the states will follow. Kind of disapointed that I had to contact them about it.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:51 PM
Members

News from Belgium :

I received a letter from my dealer for my 2006/04 E60 520d M. Definetly it affects M's too !

In the letter, you can read the following (translated part of the text) :

"That can involve the complete detachment of the silentbloc of the ammortissor. If such is the case, the support of the body compared to the wheel disappears and the body rests consequently on the rear wheel concerned.
Critical situations of control, being able to go until the accident, are then not excluded "

I have an appointment in the coming days with my dealer, checkup time = 30 minuts. Repairtime estimation (when needed) : 2h30
Old 08-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 520d M sport - Silver Grey and Leather Dakota Schwarz - 135 M wheel - Alu Cube - Navi Pro - Soundsystem - PDC

Yesterday I got a phone call from Bmw for my 520d M sport, asking me passing by for a check of the rear suspension.

So today I went there and BINGO !!!!! they need to be changed. My car was ordered in January 06 and delivered in April. Thought the problem didn't affect m packs.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Krekski' post='319580' date='Aug 7 2006, 12:45 AM
Yesterday I got a phone call from Bmw for my 520d M sport, asking me passing by for a check of the rear suspension.

So today I went there and BINGO !!!!! they need to be changed. My car was ordered in January 06 and delivered in April. Thought the problem didn't affect m packs.
Mine too - UK 520D MSport Auto - In for a fix tomorrow!
Old 08-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by madbelgium' post='314583' date='Jul 24 2006, 09:51 PM
News from Belgium :

I received a letter from my dealer for my 2006/04 E60 520d M. Definetly it affects M's too !

In the letter, you can read the following (translated part of the text) :

"That can involve the complete detachment of the silentbloc of the ammortissor. If such is the case, the support of the body compared to the wheel disappears and the body rests consequently on the rear wheel concerned.
Critical situations of control, being able to go until the accident, are then not excluded "

I have an appointment in the coming days with my dealer, checkup time = 30 minuts. Repairtime estimation (when needed) : 2h30

Curious how each country deals with this, in the UK herein text of the letter I received .............

"BMW have notified us of a safety recall applicabel to your vehicle.

Quality monitoring at BMW has revealed that the connection between the lower rubber mount and the metal bush of the rear shock absorber on your vehicle may not meet our stringent quality standards. Depending on the mileage and operating conditions of the vehicle, this could result in the rubbber mount coming completely free from the shock absorber. If this occured, the bodywork would no longer be supported above the wheels causing it to rest on the rear wheel concerned. It would not then be possible to rule out critical driving situations or even risk of an accident.

To ensure your vehicle is in perfect condition, we would therefore like to check the two rear shock absorbers and replace them if necessary. You are therefore kindly requested to make an appointment in the near future with our Service Department. We will of course be pleased to have this appointment arranged at a time convenient to yourself."

Eloquently put in conrtext do you not think? One would not want to state in the event of failure you'll crash would they!

(My car has been inspected and is due replacement shocks this week.)
Old 08-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 525i SE Touring Automatic - Titanium Grey II, Auburn-Dakota Leather, 17" Light Alloy Wheels Star-Spoke Styling 138, Anthracite Headlining, Maple Wood, Electric Front Seats, Front Seat Heating, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced, Navigation System Professional, Bluetooth phone prep, Professional radio, Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system, Park Distance Control, Rear Side Airbags, Side Blinds

Two weeks ago my i-drive completely stopped to work.

I made an appointment to get it restored,

When I picked up the car my dealer told me about the recall and confirmed my car was affected.

As they didn't have the neccessary parts available I had to bring it in again a week later to get the rear shock absorbers replaced.

Interestingly the roadholding and even more noticeable the comfort is much better now.

I;m not sure what to think about all of this but I'm more happy now