E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

bmw quality...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 02:39 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I had my car for almost 2 years; I am disappointing about the overall qualities of the car.
Interior paints are peeling off from the consoles. Exterior paint finishes are not greater than other luxury vehicles. For example, I have owned Acura and Lexus for 3 years each before bmw, I did not have a single problems. Why bmw have so many problems?
So far, with in 2 years followings are the problems I had.
-Front window motor broke down
-Steering wheel is not coming down when starting
-Check engine light comes on randomly
-interior paints are peeling off
-Engine is juggling when staring up (sometimes) and at stop light
-Car produces bigger noise when A/C is turned on
-Brake noise due to sensor
I think there is couple more but I am not remembering all.
I am more likely to sell my e60 when I reach 50K miles because I can afford to do/pay all those things occurs every other month.
Anyone unhappy with their bmw?s?
Attached Thumbnails bmw quality...-dsc01494.jpg   bmw quality...-dsc01496.jpg  
Old 03-29-2006, 03:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by aultimateE60' post='262201' date='Mar 29 2006, 06:39 PM
I had my car for almost 2 years; I am disappointing about the overall qualities of the car.
Interior paints are peeling off from the consoles. Exterior paint finishes are not greater than other luxury vehicles. For example, I have owned Acura and Lexus for 3 years each before bmw, I did not have a single problems. Why bmw have so many problems?
So far, with in 2 years followings are the problems I had.
-Front window motor broke down
-Steering wheel is not coming down when starting
-Check engine light comes on randomly
-interior paints are peeling off
-Engine is juggling when staring up (sometimes) and at stop light
-Car produces bigger noise when A/C is turned on
-Brake noise due to sensor
I think there is couple more but I am not remembering all.
I am more likely to sell my e60 when I reach 50K miles because I can afford to do/pay all those things occurs every other month.
Anyone unhappy with their bmw?s?

The peeling of the soft coatings on the switchgear is identical to what I saw on my last car - a VW Jetta, so it's safe to say that Audi has the same materials issues. I am -super- careful when I operate the windows and controls in my E60 - making sure I mind the surfaces and where my fingernails might come into contact with them.

I think all the other stuff you mention has been pretty common with Honda, Toyota, Audi/VW, you name it.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda/Acura/Toyota/Lexus does not have rubber coating like BMW/Audi/Mercedes. The peeling is understandable!
The paint is environmental friendly which cut water usage by billions of gallon, but not user friendly like oil based paint.
To be honest, I don't know what car I'd buy if I sell my car because BMW brings the prestige of being industry standard for handling.
If I can find a car with high level of respect, BMW like handling/steering, high reliability, a little cheaper than BMW, good sound system and interior, I'd trade my car for that. So far, it's only a dream car.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

I've had my 5 for 18 months with 20k on it and I have not experienced any of the unfortunate problems you have had. Sorry to hear about them. Have you discussed these problems with your dealer. It is possible they may be able to do something for you.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i Oxford Green on Dakota Beige; M-aero kit; Chromed grills; 166 style 19s rims 245-35 f 275-30 r

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='262204' date='Mar 29 2006, 07:06 PM
The peeling of the soft coatings on the switchgear is identical to what I saw on my last car - a VW Jetta, so it's safe to say that Audi has the same materials issues. I am -super- careful when I operate the windows and controls in my E60 - making sure I mind the surfaces and where my fingernails might come into contact with them.

I think all the other stuff you mention has been pretty common with Honda, Toyota, Audi/VW, you name it.
I also have the same soft coating peeling on my car. Even though I'm super careful when I operate the windows, for some strange reason, the peeling just happens by itself. I had to replace three switch panels already. I'm thinking it must be the hot and humid climate here in Manila. Or maybe this is evident in all early 04 models.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Must be more careful when using stuff it seems...
Old 03-29-2006, 08:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='262298' date='Mar 29 2006, 09:12 PM
Must be more careful when using stuff it seems...
I think that is his point why should we have to be careful using these cars if they cost more then Lexus but Lexus products can go 10 years without problems?

I have owned Lexus vehicles and sold them to family members since 1995 and every car I sold to a family member is still rock solid with no reliabillty issues.

Dont get me wrong I loved my 330, M3 and now 550 but why cant we have reliability with the prices we are paying?
Old 03-29-2006, 08:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by TV550' post='262308' date='Mar 29 2006, 09:51 PM
I think that is his point why should we have to be careful using these cars if they cost more then Lexus but Lexus products can go 10 years without problems?

I have owned Lexus vehicles and sold them to family members since 1995 and every car I sold to a family member is still rock solid with no reliabillty issues.

Dont get me wrong I loved my 330, M3 and now 550 but why cant we have reliability with the prices we are paying?
If I had to buy a car I would buy Lexus, thank god I only lease these BMWs.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:54 PM
Senior Members

i had pealing with the center console button (as yours) and the edge of the open area underneath the CD (no NAV).
minor but annoying.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by TV550' post='262308' date='Mar 29 2006, 09:51 PM

I agree. Its kind of annoying. It would be nice to have Lexus reliability and quality ( assuming its as good as you say it is. I never owned one) But I like BMW styling and driving feel more. Life's full of compromises we gotta pick and choose. If BMW had both it would be awesome. Meanwhile all we can do is be more careful I guess

Quick Reply: bmw quality...