E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW PDC Vs MB PDC

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 04:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525d black on black sport seats, shadow line rear and side sunshades, sport wheel, brushed aluminium interior trim, sunroof, ......

I just noticed a difference on my E60 pdc and my friends MB CLK .

bmw PDC starts as soon as I put the gear on reverse or when I press the PDC button on my control pannel.

I noticed that on MB cars PDC starts as soon as the car slows down to lower then 25 km/h this is great when slowing down to hit a traffic light or a stop sign or in your parking garage

I noticed this and now i find my self pressing the pdc button everytime i slow down to see how far I am from obstacles. and i'd rather have it automatic.

Maybe some of you find the beeping annoying but trust me you will find dents on your bumpers more annoying (god forbids )

just wanted to know what you think about this

hk
Old 05-20-2005, 04:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I agree that the Mercedes system is more comfortable. I don't know why BMW made it this way. I think it has something to do with trafficjams and your beepers going off all the time because car's are close to eachother.

I'd rather have the Mercedes system.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I think tha MB drivers do not know how to drive so they need PDC automaticaly on all the time
Old 05-20-2005, 04:40 AM
Senior Members

Isn't the MB system comprised of several small LCD displays on the dash and on the rear parcel shelf?

If iDrive was to be interrupted at low speeds - at least I would find it annoying. Low speeds are ideal for messing with iDrive And having to disable PDC constantly would be a pain in the ass.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

If you are using PDC in traffic, you are following TOO closely.

Don't you know the rule.... you should stop so that you can see the rear tires of the vehicle in front of you?
Old 05-20-2005, 04:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d black on black sport seats, shadow line rear and side sunshades, sport wheel, brushed aluminium interior trim, sunroof, ......

Originally Posted by Peter530i' date='May 20 2005, 01:38 PM
I think tha MB drivers do not know how to drive so they need PDC automaticaly on all the time
[snapback]131059[/snapback]

Old 05-20-2005, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think I like the BMW way better. First, I don't see too many useful reasons to use it while driving in traffic, etc. It's all about parking.

I think that the systems that automatically turn on at or below a certain speed (like my wife's Odyssey Touring) would have to have a reduced alerting for larger distances so it wouldn't go off all the time. With our system, the screen can start to show objects that are farther away...

Not sure if this is how it works for sure -- it's just a theory.

The one advantage to an automatic system is that it would be active when I pull into my garage -- now, I have to manually turn on PDC when pulling in...
Old 05-20-2005, 06:40 AM
NES
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 20 2005, 10:18 AM
I think I like the BMW way better.? First, I don't see too many useful reasons to use it while driving in traffic, etc.? It's all about parking.

I think that the systems that automatically turn on at or below a certain speed (like my wife's Odyssey Touring) would have to have a reduced alerting for larger distances so it wouldn't go off all the time.? With our system, the screen can start to show objects that are farther away...

Not sure if this is how it works for sure -- it's just a theory.

The one advantage to an automatic system is that it would be active when I pull into my garage -- now, I have to manually turn on PDC when pulling in...
[snapback]131097[/snapback]
I agree... Its a parking system, not an active cruise control system used for driving. There are a few times with my X5 that I press it instead of the heated seats and then when I hit traffic it annoys the heck out of me.. Living in NYC area can be a killer if your PDC were on at low speeds. BMW gives us the choice of when we dont need it. I prefer BMW's!
Old 05-20-2005, 07:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 20 2005, 07:18 AM
[snapback]131097[/snapback]
I like the BMW system too. I just want a steering wheel button to turn on PDC for the above.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I like BMW's design better. However, I wish the front sensor would pick up curbs at close proximity. I am more worried about curbs than the car in front. Some of the curbs are so nasty that rise above our bumper clearance.

Quick Reply: BMW PDC Vs MB PDC