E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 01:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by 530dse' date='Aug 13 2005, 04:55 AM
In the UK we have a 3 year paintwork warranty, you must get a paint warranty over there. The paint is defective claim on your warranty !!!!!
[snapback]158887[/snapback]

Hummm good point... I should at least stop by and ask before doing touch up on it...
Old 08-13-2005, 11:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Aug 13 2005, 10:04 PM
[quote name='530dse' date='Aug 13 2005, 04:55 AM']In the UK we have a 3 year paintwork warranty, you must get a paint warranty over there. The paint is defective claim on your warranty !!!!!
[snapback]158887[/snapback]

Hummm good point... I should at least stop by and ask before doing touch up on it...
[snapback]159007[/snapback]
[/quote]

Don't ask demand that BMW correct the faulty paintwork, it should have never passed quality control (if they have any) at the factory !!! :thumbsdown:
Old 08-13-2005, 11:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by 530dse' date='Aug 14 2005, 12:11 AM
Don't ask demand that BMW correct the faulty paintwork, it should have never passed quality control (if they have any) at the factory !!!? :thumbsdown:
[snapback]159120[/snapback]
I dunno they can blame it on me... that it came off cuz of wear and tear... i dunno...

BUT that is a ahrd argument... theres NO dent... its perfectly fine there just a perfect round hole where paint is chipped off to the white undercoat... I'll get a pic of it tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by tomwid' date='Aug 12 2005, 03:41 PM
I feel your pain, but you should have taken this up on delivery, not after.?

Now you're stuck, I doubt you'll get a new car because of some "paint chips", especially if they don't take responsibility.

And I don't think repainting it will depreciate it at all, UNLESS it's a really, really crappy job.

[quote name='rodneyremington' date='Aug 12 2005, 04:36 PM']I don't think that a properly done respray of just a small area of your car will have any effect on your resale value.

If it was improperly painted, a fair recompense would be for them to correct the bad paint spot. Getting a new car IMO is not justified.

Live and learn-- always go over your new car before taking the keys and make sure you are happy with it.
[snapback]158721[/snapback]
Read the post!!!!!!!!! She said spots not "paint chips".
cheers
vern
[snapback]158724[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 08-16-2005, 09:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (UK) Bulit: Feb 2004, 520i (M54), 6-Speed Manual, Black leather, Titanium Silver, Bi-Xenon, Headlamp washers, Side rear airbags, Park Distance Control, Aluminium trim, Standard Climate Control, 17" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's, Spacesaver Spare wheel, Jack, Dynamic drive, Service Inclusive, Chrome grills, Software version 20.01.00, E60.net Clings, Painted wheel hubs silver

I would see how well they fix it first, a new car would be a bit rash, assuming the missing paint isnt too obvious. good luck.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:19 AM
Contributors

i drive carefully, wax my car's front with rejex all the time, yet i also have the little 'dots' of chipped paint; i have about 5 or 6 in the front hood, and two or so on the side fenders.

do we have that paint warranty in the states?
Old 08-16-2005, 02:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by daydok' date='Aug 16 2005, 01:19 PM
i drive carefully, wax my car's front with rejex all the time, yet i also have the little 'dots' of chipped paint; i have about 5 or 6 in the front hood, and two or so on the side fenders.?

do we have that paint warranty in the states?
[snapback]159905[/snapback]
Does any car manufacture have a paint warranty against paint chips?? If so.IMO it would be a first time for many of our posters to find this out.Most manufactures paint warranty is againest pealing and fading and then you have to be darn lucky to get them to stand behind the warranty.
cheers
vern
Old 08-17-2005, 10:32 PM
Contributors

BMW regularly repaints transport damage without telling the owner anyway. You may have received the car as new but with the hood or such repainted. As a result, since this is standard practice, the only recourse was to not accept the car on delivery. The value of the car is technically not lower because of this policy when repainting was performed for transport damage before delivery. The paint should be under waranty as it is. If the failed paint matches the location a transport repair was made, and there should be a record, they must honor the waranty without any excuse. If they can make a case that the paint was damaged and not defective, then you have to defend yourself and prove you were not responsible for the paint failure. :thumbsdown:
I too am a member of the bird poopitis club. A record of 2 hours contact and the paint was etched beyond buffing.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:56 AM
Members

I know this is an old post, but I have noticed 2 chips in my paint since I took delivery of the car (11 days ago). One happened while I was washing my car. I am going to the dealer this week.

Has anybody else had this problem and had a successful resolution from their dealer?
Old 09-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Aug 13 2005, 12:04 AM
The paint is the WORST EVER in the history of car manufacturing!
They know it, but they refuse solving the problem!
[snapback]158748[/snapback]
My old E60 was a used one ( 6 months old) bought from BMW Finland with some 10 kmiles on it.
The paint finish was gone! It probably was driven on dirt roads etc and some secretarys fu**ed on the hood.
When I bought it, the car looked mint, but it was waxed with some kind of colorwax etc and after some normal washes the trueth came out.

These modern BMW wathersolvant paints are so soft, that they stink. :thumbsdown:
I.e. the M-B's paint has somekind of a micropixel surface on it.

The old BMW's I use to own had a really thick and strong paintlayer, but not anymore.

I strongly recommend that BMW should do something to improve their paintjobs!

Quick Reply: BMW paint