E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

'BMW Online' software retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 04:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

Originally Posted by Dayglows' post='547100' date='Mar 19 2008, 03:09 AM
I picked the car up tonight. BMW Online is working fine.

So it can be retrofitted!!!!

do you know the mechanics of it? Like how does it connect with the 3G or EGDE network? it must have a built in phone or a modem? We do not have BMW assist , so that means we wont get this feature?

Saad
Old 03-19-2008, 04:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d M Sport Auto, Space Grey, Black Leather, Media Pack, Visability Pack, Heated Seats, M rear boot spolier, DAB Radio, 19" Alloys, Sun Protection Glass (Limo darkness)

Originally Posted by snkpkp' post='547445' date='Mar 19 2008, 08:21 AM
do you know the mechanics of it? Like how does it connect with the 3G or EGDE network? it must have a built in phone or a modem? We do not have BMW assist , so that means we wont get this feature?

Saad
My particular model came with BMW Assist so I cannot comment on the one's without as I am not entirely sure. Cars with BMW Assist come with a SIM card built in to the car. The SIM card is enabled for both voice and data and so enables you to speak to the people who can tell you about hotels etc. The car also has GPRS capability so BMW Online utlises this for the RSS news feeds etc. When using BMW Online you get 'GPRS' showing in the bottom left hand part of the screen to show that you are connected.

The newer 5 series coming out with full internet access will use 3G so I am not sure whether this will be available as a retrofit for existing BMW Online users.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 525i

Im not very familiar with this bmw online option, is this available only on LCI cars? mine is an 06 with BMW assist i beleive or at least i see the button over my head in the ceiling.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

ok now i know what it is, the car has a builtin phone somewhere which can only dial to BMW, the Internet connects to BMW via the sim from that, 3G will depend on what US carrier will launch 3G or else it will be EDGE for GSM carrier in the US, for EU anything and everything is possible when it comes to connectivity via phone...... sadly my vehicle does not have BMW Assist , means I will need hardware change + Bmw Bangladesh has to sign a contract with a local carrier to provide us the service. What I want to know if there is a Phone module with BMW assist, where is it hidden? Anyone know? ? Fred? Bruce?
Old 03-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 525i

Originally Posted by snkpkp' post='547516' date='Mar 19 2008, 11:52 AM
What I want to know if there is a Phone module with BMW assist, where is it hidden? Anyone know? ? Fred? Bruce?

+11
Old 03-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by snkpkp' post='547516' date='Mar 19 2008, 11:52 AM
ok now i know what it is, the car has a builtin phone somewhere which can only dial to BMW, the Internet connects to BMW via the sim from that, 3G will depend on what US carrier will launch 3G or else it will be EDGE for GSM carrier in the US, for EU anything and everything is possible when it comes to connectivity via phone...... sadly my vehicle does not have BMW Assist , means I will need hardware change + Bmw Bangladesh has to sign a contract with a local carrier to provide us the service. What I want to know if there is a Phone module with BMW assist, where is it hidden? Anyone know? ? Fred? Bruce?
When you speak of BMW Bangladesh providing the service, do you mean Assist or BMW Online. Regardless, it has little to do with a local mobile operator. Aren't you forgetting about the backend and the extensive support mechanism?
Old 03-19-2008, 11:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='547822' date='Mar 20 2008, 08:17 AM
When you speak of BMW Bangladesh providing the service, do you mean Assist or BMW Online. Regardless, it has little to do with a local mobile operator. Aren't you forgetting about the backend and the extensive support mechanism?

well see I do not think BMW has their own Internet Service Provider, they tie up with a local Network Company or Communication Company to provide their clients with the service. So the situation is like this

BMW Assist >Network Provider>Call Center with Skilled BMW Advisor>BMW North America or Other Country

So for us BMW dealers here have to sign up with a service provider first to get the network capability, then they will have to setup a call center where people will be connecting via the BMW Assist, and third the same Operator will have to provide the connectivity for the internet. Its not as complex for us in Bangladesh as we have huge work force and it is possible if you have your DELL computer broken down and you call the 1800 number and a person in Bangladesh will pick up and say "HI THIS IS TOM " lol where as he sounds nothing like TOM more like OSAMA BIN LADIN lol.......
Old 03-20-2008, 01:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by Dayglows' post='547455' date='Mar 19 2008, 01:38 PM
My particular model came with BMW Assist so I cannot comment on the one's without as I am not entirely sure. Cars with BMW Assist come with a SIM card built in to the car. The SIM card is enabled for both voice and data and so enables you to speak to the people who can tell you about hotels etc. The car also has GPRS capability so BMW Online utlises this for the RSS news feeds etc. When using BMW Online you get 'GPRS' showing in the bottom left hand part of the screen to show that you are connected.

I have the satellite alarm from the factory and it comes with a SIM card. I have the number too
So what ... ?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by Dayglows' post='547100' date='Mar 18 2008, 10:09 PM
I picked the car up tonight. BMW Online is working fine.

So it can be retrofitted!!!!

Sorry to drag up and old thread but did they charge you to retro fit BMW online? I see on realoem that it is now a retrofit available but I really want to know the cost to know if its worth it or not.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='547991' date='Mar 20 2008, 11:13 AM
I have the satellite alarm from the factory and it comes with a SIM card. I have the number too
So what ... ?

+1
Could I activate the BMW Online?

Quick Reply: 'BMW Online' software retrofit?