E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

'BMW Online' software retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 04:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530d M Sport Auto, Space Grey, Black Leather, Media Pack, Visability Pack, Heated Seats, M rear boot spolier, DAB Radio, 19" Alloys, Sun Protection Glass (Limo darkness)

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and I am glad to see there are a lot of people on here with some in-depth knowledge of the E60.

I have purchased an 530d M Sport LCI model with the Media Pack and I am now connected to BMW ConnectedDrive. But, the BMW Online option is missing from the IDrive menu system. I am told that this was a standard installation from September but mine is a June car. Is this something that can be retrofitted with a software upgrade of the IDrive system or does it require a hardware update? I can't see why it would need hardware as it should surely only be a WAP browser that needs to be installed as part of the BMW ConnectedDrive application in the IDrive software.

Does anyone have any idea if it can be retrofitted with either a software or hardware upgrade?

Any help would be much appreciated.

This is a UK car BTW.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

It should be a software update only, since it is indeed only a WAP access.

Is BMW Assist working?
Old 02-20-2008, 05:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d M Sport Auto, Space Grey, Black Leather, Media Pack, Visability Pack, Heated Seats, M rear boot spolier, DAB Radio, 19" Alloys, Sun Protection Glass (Limo darkness)

Thanks Iceman. Yes the BMW Asssit is working fine.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

I asked the same thing in this thread http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...hl=connectdrive and was told it was a hardware chenge that enabled the wap browser. Be nice if they could add it through an update.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Old 02-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='533563' date='Feb 20 2008, 01:21 PM
I asked the same thing in this thread http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...hl=connectdrive and was told it was a hardware chenge that enabled the wap browser. Be nice if they could add it through an update.
Thanks Dandle. The dealer is investigating and said they would get back to me with what is required and any costs etc. When they do i will post the info in this thread. If it is chargeable, I wonder if they will do us a deal on 2.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:02 AM
Members

The dealer came back to me on retrofitting the BMW online. Basically they said that BMW UK were unsure of how it could be done and that I needed to take my car in so they could upload the config and hardware details of my car.

After plugging it in the dealer told me that the car was receiving an update from Munich to install the BMW online but this needed a feel update to be run. However, this was not a 5 minute job. It took over 24 hours for the update to be installed as it updated all of the control systems etc too. BMW had my car for 2 days and I have just received it back. I now have to wait up to 72 hours for BMW to activate the BMW Online piece (I already have BMW Assist etc working). Then once that is activated I need to take the car back in so that it can be activated on the IDrive menu system.

So all in all it can be retrofitted but it is not a 5 minute job. And the best bit, it was done by the dealer Free Of Charge too!!!!!

Now that's what I call customer service............
Old 03-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

Originally Posted by Dayglows' post='543524' date='Mar 12 2008, 09:02 PM
The dealer came back to me on retrofitting the BMW online. Basically they said that BMW UK were unsure of how it could be done and that I needed to take my car in so they could upload the config and hardware details of my car.

After plugging it in the dealer told me that the car was receiving an update from Munich to install the BMW online but this needed a feel update to be run. However, this was not a 5 minute job. It took over 24 hours for the update to be installed as it updated all of the control systems etc too. BMW had my car for 2 days and I have just received it back. I now have to wait up to 72 hours for BMW to activate the BMW Online piece (I already have BMW Assist etc working). Then once that is activated I need to take the car back in so that it can be activated on the IDrive menu system.

So all in all it can be retrofitted but it is not a 5 minute job. And the best bit, it was done by the dealer Free Of Charge too!!!!!

Now that's what I call customer service............
yeah I would not pay for being the lab rat either....
Old 03-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Let me know how you get on with it and if its all working ill ask my dealer for the update. I have a feeling my dealer wont be as welcoming though(they already told me its a hardware thing).

Good result though.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Members

I picked the car up tonight. BMW Online is working fine.

So it can be retrofitted!!!!

Quick Reply: 'BMW Online' software retrofit?