E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW: The Greatest Car Ever Made Says Top Gear’s Hammond

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Rez
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2021 BMW 540i XDrive Bluestone Metallic on Ivory White Napa Leather. Packages: Executive, M Sport, Parking Assistance, Luxury Seating, Shadowline. Options: M Sport Brakes with Blue Calipers, Body Color Rocker Panel Blades and Spoiler, Heated Steering
Model Year: 2021

Check this out:

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/break...06756.html?l=1

Not specifically on the 5 Series, but on BMW as a whole.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for me BMW is a love hate relationship. Things break that should just not for the $$$ for these cars.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:46 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Did you see the comments? Someone actually said: "1966 Pontiac GTO best car ever made" Go ahead, take a corner in a muscle car, I dare you. Nothing that ever came out of Detroit can EVER be called the "best ever made", just not happening.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Members

American cars are made for going fast in one direction. One of the guys I work with is a certified gear-head who restores old muscle cars. He got visibly upset when I told him that my 99 M3 might not win in a 1/4 mile race against his Mustang, but on a twisty road he wouldn't have a chance. All cars have issues, but BMW simply makes the highest quality machines on the market. They might not be the best in every category, but overall nothing compares. I've met plenty of BMW haters...and one thing they seem to have in common is that they have never actually driven a BMW.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by notopm3
American cars are made for going fast in one direction. One of the guys I work with is a certified gear-head who restores old muscle cars. He got visibly upset when I told him that my 99 M3 might not win in a 1/4 mile race against his Mustang, but on a twisty road he wouldn't have a chance. All cars have issues, but BMW simply makes the highest quality machines on the market. They might not be the best in every category, but overall nothing compares. I've met plenty of BMW haters...and one thing they seem to have in common is that they have never actually driven a BMW.

More importantly, every BMW hater I've ever met has never OWNED one. The drive is one thing, it's getting to drive it long term in diferent situations that makes me smile
Old 04-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i 6spd m/t Sport, Cold Weather, Logic 7

Originally Posted by notopm3
One of the guys I work with is from Zurich where all the BMW drivers are posers. He was a BMW hater until he drove mine.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Members

I've always had GM vehicles. F-body Camaros, GMC Sierra, and my current Tahoe.

My Camaro is strong, I think it would take my 550 on the 1/4 mile. But you all are right, on an auto x track i dont think my Camaro will stand a chance, maybe with the Handling package I put on it

The way I see it is my BMW is precise and powerful, kinda like a sniper rifle.

My Camaro with its bored over block is just balls out power. Going to perform but isnt very predictable, kinda like a shot gun.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Navy 550I

UDM!!!!! (Ultimate Driving Machine)
Old 04-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Arctic-Rodz
I've always had GM vehicles. F-body Camaros, GMC Sierra, and my current Tahoe.

My Camaro is strong, I think it would take my 550 on the 1/4 mile. But you all are right, on an auto x track i dont think my Camaro will stand a chance, maybe with the Handling package I put on it

The way I see it is my BMW is precise and powerful, kinda like a sniper rifle.

My Camaro with its bored over block is just balls out power. Going to perform but isnt very predictable, kinda like a shot gun.

^^^^Great analogy
Old 04-13-2012, 08:47 PM
Members

Top Gear compares everything against the M3. That's seems to be their Holy Grail of performance cars. They were doing a review of the 4-door M3 today and pretty much called it the perfect car.

Quick Reply: BMW: The Greatest Car Ever Made Says Top Gear’s Hammond