E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW Full Maintenance Program - Canadian Cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 04:04 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

My E60 is approaching it's one year anniversary, and it is time for me to decide if I want to subscribe to a full maintenance program. Here in Canada BMW does not include full maintenance when one purchases one of their cars like they do in the USA. I guess it is not enough that we pay more for our cars than in the USA but we also get clipped into having to purchase extra coverage.

The full maintenance program includes the following

Brake Pads,wear sensors and rotors
Engine Belts
Wiper Blades
Cluth Disc ,if applicable
Adjustments required as a result of normal wear and tear under normal driving conditions.

Costs

3 Year 60,000 KMS (35,500 Miles) CAD $ 749.00
4 Years 80,000 KMS ( 50,000 Miles) CAD $ 2298.00

Concerns

The agreement states that brake rotors & pads are only covered when worn below the limits as per BMW Technical Data Information.

The difference in price between 3 & 4 year plan is staggering = CAD $ 1549.00 and the extra coverage is only for an additional 20,000 KMS or 12,500 miles.

The most expensive components included in this extra coverage are the brakes and rotors and based on the price differentials, it leads me to believe tha BMW knows much more about their brake life than I do. Part of the conditions to this coverage is that the owner must advise the service department at the time when the car is brought in for service that the car is covered by the full maintenace program, failing which the service performed will not be covered under the program.

This leads me to believe that BMW would be more apt to suggest a brake replacement on a car that is not covered by the extended plan than on one which is covered.

I guess that my concerns are that BMW might not honour a request to change the brakes within the 3 year 60,000 kms plan claiming that the pads are not worn below "The Limits as per BMW Tech Specs.". From the pricing of the 2 plans it would seem that brake work would be needed at a point past 60,000 KMS.

I have a 39 month lease which allows me to drive 2100 kms per month or 25,000/year. I expect to do all the mileage allowed under my lease. Now the kicker, under the terms of the lease agreement, I must return the car with a minimum of 50% left on the brake pads.

Can anyone advise the cost under a worst case scenerio of changing 4 sets of pads and rotors on a 545?

I would like to opt for the 3 year plan in the anticipation that at least the pads would have to be changed once within 60,000 KMS ( 37,500 miles) I will hit 60,000 kms at the 2/3 point of the lease and with some luck
this would carry me to the end of my lease and I would have enough left on the pads to not have to get hit with additional costs at the time I turn in the car.

Sorry for the long post, but nothing seems to be simple with BMW.

P.S. My I-Drive states that the pads will need changing before 60,000 KMS but the numbers keep changing
and again I don't know what BMW's Tech Specs state. It is one thing to need to change your pads
and another thing if they expect me to drive until metal hits metal.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2006, 11:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Anyone have any comments?
Old 01-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Senior Members

I would be very surprised if your brakes will last for 37,500 mls, especially if you do a lot of town driving.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

I'm a month away from getting my 550. I distinctly recall the salesman telling me that maintenance was covered! He said nothing about it being for 1 year. I am in Canada as well, and without even having the car yet, I can tell that certainly nothing is simple with BMW, and the dealer I have has been beyond awful in almost every aspect of the experience! It has definitely soured me on the whole thing! Sorry, a bit off topic but it certainly worries me to hear your concerns, as I will be in the same boat in a year. I am not leasing, I am purchasing, and I drive hard! How many km can one expect from a set of brake pads? And what other non BMW ext warr programs are out there? Is there a different option Gabman? Please email me with any advice you have or other issues you have run into for us Canadians. And why is it that we get hammered with higher prices here? This car better be amazing!!! Lot of stress that goes along with it!
Old 01-11-2006, 04:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Trev550i' post='222564' date='Jan 11 2006, 03:14 AM
I'm a month away from getting my 550. I distinctly recall the salesman telling me that maintenance was covered! He said nothing about it being for 1 year. I am in Canada as well, and without even having the car yet, I can tell that certainly nothing is simple with BMW, and the dealer I have has been beyond awful in almost every aspect of the experience! It has definitely soured me on the whole thing! Sorry, a bit off topic but it certainly worries me to hear your concerns, as I will be in the same boat in a year. I am not leasing, I am purchasing, and I drive hard! How many km can one expect from a set of brake pads? And what other non BMW ext warr programs are out there? Is there a different option Gabman? Please email me with any advice you have or other issues you have run into for us Canadians. And why is it that we get hammered with higher prices here? This car better be amazing!!! Lot of stress that goes along with it!
Hi trev

Boys will be Boys and we like our toys!!

Your car comes with a new car warranty for 4 years for 80,000 KMS. Scheduled maintenace is included to the extent of oil changes ,coolant flush, inspections 1 & 2 brake fluid flush and they will check your car for any corrosion, (How nice). By the way, it is BMW that makes the schedule so oil changes only happen every 20,000 kms. Brake maintenace and replacement of wipers are not included unless you purchase the full maintenance package and by the way as far as wipers go, you first have to convince the dealer that you can no longer see out of the windshield , they have a tool to check if you are fibbing or not. And speaking of windshields, watch out for any flying pebbles as glass is real soft, it's funny how after they replaced my windshield, I have had bolders hit it without any damage. I guess the one that comes with the car is just to get you off their lot and on your way. I sent you a PM about your other questions.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

thank you very much for the info, and the message. Nice to know i have more nightmares to look forward to.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

The cost of wipers alone would almost pay for the 3 year warranty extension ($C 47 each + tax if you do it yourself plus 0.5h labour if BMW installs (rediculous though negotiable)).

I have no experience with the price of E60 brake work but on my old 3-series, out of warranty brake work was done once at about 80,000 km and cost around $C 1000 or something. The 4 year extension seems excessive.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DXXXi' post='222884' date='Jan 11 2006, 02:58 PM
The cost of wipers alone would almost pay for the 3 year warranty extension ($C 47 each + tax if you do it yourself plus 0.5h labour if BMW installs (rediculous though negotiable)).

I have no experience with the price of E60 brake work but on my old 3-series, out of warranty brake work was done once at about 80,000 km and cost around $C 1000 or something. The 4 year extension seems excessive.
How often should one expect to change the wipers? I live in a fairly extreme climate and certainly wipers would be something that would get worn out fairly quickly
Old 01-13-2006, 11:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

Originally Posted by Trev550i' post='223806

How often should one expect to change the wipers? I live in a fairly extreme climate and certainly wipers would be something that would get worn out fairly quickly
[/quote]
My SA claimed every 6 months but I guess he would probably change his tune if he had to supply them without charge as part of an extended warranty. I had mine almost 2 years but that was too long as they were chattering like crazy when the rains started in the fall. We don't get much harsh weather, just rain and I think I will change them myself every 12 months from now on in the fall. They are expensive but easy to replace.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DXXXi' post='223869
Originally Posted by DXXXi' post='222884' date='Jan 11 2006, 02:58 PM

My SA claimed every 6 months but I guess he would probably change his tune if he had to supply them without charge as part of an extended warranty. I had mine almost 2 years but that was too long as they were chattering like crazy when the rains started in the fall. We don't get much harsh weather, just rain and I think I will change them myself every 12 months from now on in the fall. They are expensive but easy to replace.
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice! Yes I would think they're not that hard to replace