E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW fitting a new naviagtion module too the car

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do I start, i am not very technically minded.

My E61 525d m sport (UK) developed a problem with the navigation. It was all working fine and then refused to show street names. It was still working as a Nav just not showing street names when zoomed in. It would show town names though !!! In addition the telephone address book wouldn't upload from the phone, but phone would still blue tooth to the car and work. It seemed to be a corruption of a syntax file in the software

I took the car to BMW as I believed that a software upgrade may do 2 things,

1. Once the car had been 're loaded' with the latest software it would correct the minor problem of not showing street names

2. I would obtain 'perspective' view on the Navigation.

So down to the local dealership I go, quoted ?150 inc VAT for software upgrade, drop car of Monday AM collect car Tuesday and use there courtesy car in the meantime.

I get a call Tuesday Morning, all the software has been wiped from your car, in the process of loading new software and the CCL, CC-something has refused to accept new software. As a result of this the car cannot be re programmed as the software is loaded on module by module an it is crashing at this point, no new software and old software wiped. They said they had spoken to Head office who had remotely accessed the car and stated that the unit is un-serviceable. (now the non technical bit, when I went to get something out of the car, the screen unit from the dash was laying on the front seat so assume that it is that control unit that is US)

On speaking to the guy from service he states that whilst the car is out of warranty and done 63,000 miles it should not of failed and he has asked BMW for 100% parts an 100% labour.

Low and behold they come back with a YES, so the whole unit will be replaced and new software installed for nothing. Chap told me that BMW had authorized ?1127 for this including VAT. The new unit will be at BMW tomorrow fitted Monday and re programmed.

My car does not have a full BMW service history, i did not buy it from BMW and I do not know anyone at the garage, but I tell ya with that level of service won't get me out of BMW for the rest of my days (I am 39!!!)

So a question

With the new control unit will the screen resolution/software be different to mine (My car was built in 05 and had not had any updates) and what is it they are actually replacing ?
Old 10-02-2009, 12:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

you will have the same setup as before i believe but with all the extras that the latest software has, sounds like the CCC (Car communication computer) developed a fault that's the brains of the whole system.

i would imagine they will replace the CCC and then re-program the whole car (4-7 hours). very nice of the dealer and BMW to do this for you. Good luck getting it back soon
Old 10-02-2009, 05:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BLooD' post='1022835' date='Oct 2 2009, 09:10 AM
you will have the same setup as before i believe but with all the extras that the latest software has, sounds like the CCC (Car communication computer) developed a fault that's the brains of the whole system.

i would imagine they will replace the CCC and then re-program the whole car (4-7 hours). very nice of the dealer and BMW to do this for you. Good luck getting it back soon
Funny you should say that, they rang me this morning to say that they had the part in and had fitted it but the ISIS system had gone down, and that they wouldn't get the car back to me till Monday afternoon, I must admit I thought it would of been later
Old 10-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

thats cool, let us know how it turns out
Old 10-07-2009, 05:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BLooD' post='1023348' date='Oct 2 2009, 10:45 PM
thats cool, let us know how it turns out
Car still with them, just being programmed now !!!!!!
Old 10-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Busa1400' post='1026711' date='Oct 7 2009, 02:29 PM
Car still with them, just being programmed now !!!!!!
Car back, all update and spangly new

However brought an E71 holder for car kit, whilst that fits car, does transfer contacts list, so going to have a look at E71 thread
Old 10-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Busa1400' post='1027813' date='Oct 8 2009, 07:06 PM

However brought an E71 holder for car kit, whilst that fits car, does transfer contacts list, so going to have a look at E71 thread

Bet your pleased

Is that the E71 snap in adapter or just a holder? If its the snap in was it expensive?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Nice to hear a positive outcome from BMW.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Busa1400' post='1027813' date='Oct 8 2009, 02:06 PM

dude,

how contrasting is your experience to that of mine. You've either been served by one good techy or been extremely lucky with BMW but whatever it may be I'm glad it all worked out.

I on the other hand have just been dealt the worst side of BMW albeit there was a small light at the end of the very long, dark and cold tunnel!!! my e60 stopped reading DVD or CD and the i-drive intermittently restarted. cutting the long stor short, bmw dealer looked at it, suggested a repair/replacement, quoted that it was know problem and applied for blanket goodwill. BMW cam back and offered 50% parts but no labour. The real sting in tail was even after good will they wanted ?1400 to fix something that was known to them and not a fault caused due to misuse or wear&tear. The car was fully services at BMW and had 70k on the clock. When I called BMW to query their rationale behind their offer (knowing it was a product fault), they told me to count my self lucky that they offered anything at all as the car was out of warranty and they were not obliged to do anything and were doing me a favour to even offer 50%.

useless but an interesting bit of info is to replace CCC BMW charges ?501+va+labour but to change the M-audio for e60 (business nav) they charge 1695+VAT+labour - now try and make sense of that!!!

All in all, this has definitely left a bad taste in my mouth such that i'd think twice before choosing a bimmer due to their "wonderful" customer retention and satisfaction values.

-e
Old 10-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Members

The holder is the snap in one, it is ?59.99 from the dealer, I have paired the phone but having real problems with contacts, read the info on the site and nokia have a link too this

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/discus...mp;thread.id=97

which apparently overcomes the contact down load issue, i have installed it and it does not, my thinking is that as some people have paired the phine it is to do with a setting on the phone.

In relation to them offering 50% for Computer under goodwill, there is no such thing as a good will gesture, either they are liable or they are not, if they offer 50% then they accept that it is a problem with there product and they are offering you a sum of money to compensate you for that ( I am a barrister ). I am lucky that BMW decided to replace my system.

The perspective Sat Nav is amazing, the phone not downloading contacts is a pain.

I have an old 6210 ?? snap in cradle and that phone downloaded contacts, if I copy contacts to SIM then to that phone then to car, would the contacts still be on the car when I paired E71 ??

Quick Reply: BMW fitting a new naviagtion module too the car