E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW E60 in winter & snow

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 02:54 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]
Thumbs up

HI guys, I know that is probably not the best time of a year to ask such a question but since I just got my 530i, I'm curious.
I was driving Audi Quattro's all my life before which is the best of the best in winter but the I got such a great deal for new BMW so I got that instead.
So winter is the only worry I have about my BMW.

Can you tell me your experince with E60's on snow, ice and heavy winter?
Do you use "chains" for your rear wheels? What about the plastic chains intead of metall?

I was driving Audi Quattro's all my life before which is the best of the best in winter but then I got such a great deal for new BMW so I got that instead.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Have driven last winter in Finland and I don't have any bad word! Actually I liked it.

Skaffa
Old 05-05-2005, 03:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Winter tires are a must. Many here also use seperate winter wheels. Smaller, narrower wheels are better in the snow and you do not risk damaging your wheels by mounting and remounting tires twice a year.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by robg' date='May 5 2005, 06:48 AM
Winter tires are a must.? Many here also use seperate winter wheels.? Smaller, narrower wheels are better in the snow and you do not risk damaging your wheels by mounting and remounting tires twice a year.
[snapback]124320[/snapback]
Oh, that is for sure. I had done this even on my AUdi 4x4

I wonder what about the "chains" if you say that in English as well for the rear wheels? Anyone used?
Old 05-05-2005, 05:04 AM
Contributors

The car is outstanding in the snow with just M+S tires. Winters all the way around would have to be even better.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

This is actually a good time to ask this question as many of us just came out of winter driving season.

I agree that putting four snow tires is a must -- after that, you should get around pretty well (not as good as the quattro but good enough for most situations.)

Here's an earlier thread on the subject:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...7491&hl=winter
Old 05-05-2005, 06:36 AM
Senior Members

I've driven Audi's all my life as well. First of all, the BMW is no Audi, and that's both good and bad. Dry handling is the best there is, I wouldn't trade it for anything. However, snow and ice you'll need to watch out for the rear end coming around on you.

The ESP is incredible on the BMW. I messed around in the snow with my Michelin m/s tires, and you can floor the car from a stop, and drive it around a turn without going off the road. It really is stupendous.

However, you must get some type of snow tires. Plus the tire width will play a major factor. If you're planning on driving in a lot of snow, get snow tires, and put them on smaller rims. You should be fine.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:35 AM
Senior Members

With a good set of snow tires I've been very satisfied with the way the car handles. I can recommend the Bridgestone Blizzak MZ-03 18's run-flats. They obviously are not the tire of choice in the dry but did a very good job on snow here (and we get a decent amount). We don't have huge mountains here so chains would just be overkill.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Senior Members

get snow tires and the car is just great!
Old 05-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Senior Members

Continental ContiContact studded winter tyres have handled well this winter. Driving with an RWD car in wintertime requires a bit more attention than a FWD or AWD car, but overall, if you take appropriate measures it's no problem at all.

I've been stuck once, and that was after a heavy snowfall last winter. I misjudged the depth of snow on an un-plowed parking lot. One must not forget that the car is nearly flat underneath.. This created a surf-like effect, lifting all four wheels up from the ground

If you're going up steep hills etc. or suffer from lack of tracktion on short stretches of road, the Norwegian invention AutoSock provides an ingenious solution. Mounting this sock is supposedly very easy and requires less skill than applying chains.

The AutoSock is a newly developed tyre cover, aimed at increasing tyre-to-road friction when driving cars on icy or snowy roads. The AutoSock is tailored for situations where the duration of icy & snowy roads is normally short and does not justify special tyres.

Quick Reply: BMW E60 in winter & snow