E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW E60 navigation

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 10:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much is it to install the BMW navigation?
I currently only have the iDrive system.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On order: 2007 550i, silver gray, black leather, anth. maple trim, active cruise, heated steering wheel, sport, night vision, vent seats, heat rears, active steering, rear air bags, folding seats, comfort access, navigation , HUD, black head liner, steptronic, premium sound, sirius and HD radio.

Originally Posted by 2005.E60.V8.6SPD' post='381726' date='Jan 22 2007, 02:34 PM

Do a search. This topic has been discussed into the ground.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by 2005.E60.V8.6SPD' post='381726' date='Jan 22 2007, 02:34 PM
I don't think I'd bother with the retrofit. For a lot less money and hassle you could get a Garmin system which would be easier to work with, enter data, etc. than the OEM system. The downside is that it's not elegantly integrated into the dash (mine has a power wire and RTTI/FM-RDS antenna draped all over the dash). Also, I think with OEM, you would not get Voice Command in a retrofit, but could be wrong about that.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 9/04 BMW E46 / 3

Where are you from?

For about 999 Euro or less you can get it from ebay.de by an original bmw dealer. New parts uncoded.
Retrofitting is simple just the gps antenne is hard. But if youre lucky, your car has already one and you only don?t know about.
Changing MASK is easy.

Then you?ll need a new coding from your local dealer and a navi dvd of course.

Go for it! I hate transportable navis. The original navi never lets me alone and works just perfect every single day.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by Harry' post='381795' date='Jan 22 2007, 05:49 PM
Where are you from?

For about 999 Euro or less you can get it from ebay.de by an original bmw dealer. New parts uncoded.
Retrofitting is simple just the gps antenne is hard. But if youre lucky, your car has already one and you only don?t know about.
Changing MASK is easy.

Then you?ll need a new coding from your local dealer and a navi dvd of course.

Go for it! I hate transportable navis. The original navi never lets me alone and works just perfect every single day.
OK. Let's see. Buy the unit for 999 Euros ($1400), then get the new coding from the dealer (unknown $$), get a NAV DVD ($200). With that much moolah invested, the original poster could get three(!) Garmin units with touch-screen entry, voice response naming the street in the upcoming turn, and a few other goodies (Bluetooth, MP3s, etc.)

You might hate transportable Nav units, but you don't give any reasons.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT Titanium Silver, 6-speed Manual, new style Start/Stop ignition, Black Dakota Leather, anthracite maple wood trim, heated seats front and rear, heated steering wheel, headlight washers, automatic tailgate, auto dimming mirrors, Logic 7, 6-disc changer, sport seats, shadow line trim, rear sun blinds, PDC, adaptive xenons, 18" style 123 wheels, , navigation, voice control, bluetooth, BMW roof rack + bike attachments,

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry373580
Old 01-22-2007, 05:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Titanium Silver, Step, Black Interior, Sports Pkg.,CWP,Comfort Access, Nav, Premium Sound, Sat. Radio

I just got a Garmin Nuvi 660 for my wife's vehicle. It is amazing! Text to speach for all the road names, searchable by point of interest using name entry, touch screen, 4.3" display, etc - I could go on forever. $737 off Amazon.com.

Night and day better than the OEM system, at a fraction of the cost. I am thinking about getting one for my 550, even though I have factory Nav (which is almost useless IMHO).
Old 01-22-2007, 05:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Titanium Silver/Black, 6-Sp Steptronic, Sport Package, HD Radio, Sirius, Premium Sound, GPS Nav, Cold Pkg, cell phone cradle, iPod through the AUX port 1976 Datsun 280Z, Charcoal/Black, 5-Sp Manual, A/C, American Mags, CD, Tom Tom 930 GPS (works better than the BMW!) and the rest is pretty much stock

Originally Posted by ExGMan' post='381807' date='Jan 22 2007, 06:07 PM
OK. Let's see. Buy the unit for 999 Euros ($1400), then get the new coding from the dealer (unknown $$), get a NAV DVD ($200). With that much moolah invested, the original poster could get three(!) Garmin units with touch-screen entry, voice response naming the street in the upcoming turn, and a few other goodies (Bluetooth, MP3s, etc.)

You might hate transportable Nav units, but you don't give any reasons.
I agree - save your money and buy a transportable nav system. I dropped a bundle on the factory installed unit and the best thing I can say about it is that IT SUCKS!!! I have a Tom Tom 910 and even with a screen half the size it is by far the better choice. Better display, night display, higher resolution road information - you go to 1/2 mile on BMW's and you lose all but the major roads - touch screen that's faster than voice commands, 38 voices and languages, US, Canada and European roads and if I go on a trip I can toss it in the suitcase, stick it in the window of the rental car and off I go. And I can pre-program it before I leave with wherever I want to go, multi-stop itineraries in wine country, I could go on and on. Garmin is equally as good (well not equally or I would have bought the Garmin). You can get one for 800 bucks anywhere and there's cheaper models. Try a transportable GPS and if you can find a better feature on the BMW factory installed unit let me know.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Titanium Silver/Black, 6-Sp Steptronic, Sport Package, HD Radio, Sirius, Premium Sound, GPS Nav, Cold Pkg, cell phone cradle, iPod through the AUX port 1976 Datsun 280Z, Charcoal/Black, 5-Sp Manual, A/C, American Mags, CD, Tom Tom 930 GPS (works better than the BMW!) and the rest is pretty much stock
Originally Posted by geokr1' post='381955' date='Jan 22 2007, 09:59 PM
I agree - save your money and buy a transportable nav system. I dropped a bundle on the factory installed unit and the best thing I can say about it is that IT SUCKS!!! I have a Tom Tom 910 and even with a screen half the size it is by far the better choice. Better display, night display, higher resolution road information - you go to 1/2 mile on BMW's and you lose all but the major roads - touch screen that's faster than voice commands, 38 voices and languages, US, Canada and European roads and if I go on a trip I can toss it in the suitcase, stick it in the window of the rental car and off I go. And I can pre-program it before I leave with wherever I want to go, multi-stop itineraries in wine country, I could go on and on. Garmin is equally as good (well not equally or I would have bought the Garmin). You can get one for 800 bucks anywhere and there's cheaper models. Try a transportable GPS and if you can find a better feature on the BMW factory installed unit let me know.
Oh - I forgot to mention the Tom Tom's 20 gig hard drive, MP3 player, Bluetooth phone connection, address book, photo library.......
Old 01-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, Mystic Blue, Premium Package, Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Navigation, Heated Seats, Premium Sound Pkg, Satellite Radio. 2001 325Cic Convertible, Premium and Sport Package, Premium Sound, Steptronic, Heated seats

Have to admit - the portable one is pretty good. I have a 2007 nav system in my 530 and frankly, it does not have most of my development in the information. I like it, but anywhere there are newer streets than 3-4 years old, it's a crap shoot to see whether any info exists. Here in Houston north of town is a development of the Woodlands which has existed for 25 years and Kingwood which has been here 30 years. Woodlands has 35000 and Kingwood 50000 people - neither are listed.

I bought a Garmin 330 for my wife's car - she loves it, and has all the latest info on towns and streets including the two above. Ouch! Remarkable value for $279 online from PCNation.

Quick Reply: BMW E60 navigation