E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bmw e60 Help removing rear center arm rest plate for subwoofer ventilation.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 10:39 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 525i
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Tsoup
Sometimes you get help and sometimes you don't and just have to dig in and find out on your own. Here's a good start though: https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...i-port-109544/

I never got my quest answered and had to fig out on my own if the seat and backing were 2 pieces. They are not. the backing is just carpet on the back of the seat. Take off the outer plastic plate/covering on the inside - that's 1 piece to cut. Then take the seat completely out - that's the 2nd piece to cut. Trace the size of your cut on a piece of paper or cardboard first. Then pencil outline your cut on the the 2 pieces to cut for a near perfect cut. I used a mesh grille to cover to prevent ppl from sticking hands/fingers into the sub. I have yet to post my pics of my project along w/all my other mods.
Thanks man. I would realy appreciate those pics. But im not trying to build a sub specifially for the hole im trying to cut. Just basically a pass thru for the air to breather u kno? And the other guys have spec it out to go str8 throuh the port when i just want the air from my ported to box to be able to breath and thump as it should
Old 06-21-2015, 06:14 AM
New Members

My Ride: 13 X5 35i M-Sport (Sold) 535i M-Sport - (Sold) 07 530i Sport Gray - (Traded) 04 530i Sport Gray
Model Year: 2004

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...hint=folder%2c
Old 06-22-2015, 12:52 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by Ricc_laflair
Thanks man. I would realy appreciate those pics. But im not trying to build a sub specifially for the hole im trying to cut. Just basically a pass thru for the air to breather u kno? And the other guys have spec it out to go str8 throuh the port when i just want the air from my ported to box to be able to breath and thump as it should
The process of cutting a hole is the same ,, whether you port thru the hole with a custom box or not ..

I didn't remove the backrest .. I cut thru from the trunk side .. In my opinion taking out the backrest is an unnecessary step and not worth the hassel to remove .. Once you have it layed out , it takes a couple minutes to cut out .

.. Once you decide how big and lay it out on the inside,, drill small 1/8 " holes in the corners . That will give u a point of reference on the back side in the trunk . Get some masking tape and put it on the carpet side . Then you can draw the hole perimeter over the tape ..I used a utility knife and cut the carpet first ,to avoid doing damage to the carpet during the cut out .. I used a sawz all with a metal cuting blade.. Drill bigger holes in the corners just enough to fit the blade in , or cut a slot with a dremel .. Then you can cut the square hole out ..

I suggest to make the hole smaller thru the backrest and bigger on the plastic cover . Measure several times and double check the hole is where you want it , before you cut.

You can use speaker fabric on the plastic cover, it makes a nice clean simple look inside the car . Speaker mesh , or even a thin speaker cover so you can still close the arm rest ..
There are lots of things you can do to make it look nice ..
Attached Thumbnails Bmw e60 Help removing rear center arm rest plate for subwoofer ventilation.-267.jpg   Bmw e60 Help removing rear center arm rest plate for subwoofer ventilation.-269.jpg   Bmw e60 Help removing rear center arm rest plate for subwoofer ventilation.-271.jpg   Bmw e60 Help removing rear center arm rest plate for subwoofer ventilation.-272.jpg  

Last edited by H F; 06-22-2015 at 02:05 PM.