E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

bmw e60 545i knocking noise when steering :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi guys,

im new to this forum so it my first post

i have an 04 bmw 545i, have a small problem though, last week i had an error come up saying tyre pressure lost. i checked the pressure but the tyres were fine.
also around about the same time the steering started knocking mainly when turning the wheel at slow speeds. i took it to the local bmw garage but they couldnt find the issue and said the suspension was fine.
i have googled the forums but cant seem to find a solution to what it could be?

has anyone else had this problem?

thanks in advance

regards

jamie
Old 06-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a lot of different front-end things, but question for you - do you have active steering? and what sort of knocking - is it a single clunk, or does it continue as you turn the wheel?

I had an issue with a strange knock when making slow speed turns and they finally traced it to a defect in the steering column related to the active steering mechanism.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Members

Hi thanks for the reply, yes it's active steering, it's several knocks when turning the steering wheel, I forgot to mention that the handling has also severely deteriorated.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

take a look at the sway bar mounts esp the center ones holing the bar to the frame.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Members

I have a 08 528 and I have noticed a similar issue.

I can feel a single feint clunk while turning the wheel to parking the vehicle at very slow speeds.
Not sure if this was normal so I never really paid much attention to it.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by dasyhrd
I have a 08 528 and I have noticed a similar issue.

I can feel a single clunk while turning the wheel to parking the vehicle at very slow speeds.
Not sure if this was normal so I never really paid much attention to it.
I had a small knock that I noticed when turn into my driveway. There is a small transition frm the street to the drive way. Car was still under warranty and dealer changed a bearing somewhere on the steering shaft. I no longer hear it anymore.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

did they check the wheel bearings?
Old 06-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Originally Posted by cointilt
hi guys,

im new to this forum so it my first post

i have an 04 bmw 545i, have a small problem though, last week i had an error come up saying tyre pressure lost. i checked the pressure but the tyres were fine.
also around about the same time the steering started knocking mainly when turning the wheel at slow speeds. i took it to the local bmw garage but they couldnt find the issue and said the suspension was fine.
i have googled the forums but cant seem to find a solution to what it could be?

has anyone else had this problem?

thanks in advance

regards

jamie
It's the Dynamic Drive Valve unit stashed under the passenger side wheel well. It's a big block of aluminum with computer controlled valves opening and closing to provide pressure for power steering and the active suspension. It's a VERY expensive unit. I have the same issue when the car is cold and I am making a hard turn out of a parking space. It goes click-click-click! It gets a lot better when the pumps and the fluid warms up though. Since there is no error on the i-drive, I've learned to deal with it. However, I AM scouring eBay for a used unit that's in a good condition out of a newer E60.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Members

hi guys, thanks for the replies, will get it booked in to the garage and see what they say. hopefully it wont be to big of an issue :/
Old 07-03-2012, 04:04 AM
Members

i have noticed that the knocking happens alot less in the wet/bad weather? its a lot more quieter and less knocks when steering. very strange!

Quick Reply: bmw e60 545i knocking noise when steering :(