E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW E60 545 Vs BMW M3 Convertible E46

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 12:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i SMG

Originally Posted by miguex' post='873832' date='May 9 2009, 04:32 PM
The LSD is not just for cornering, there are more and won't give the car more HP.

"The Quaife torque biasing differential enables your car to accelerate quicker and corner faster. How? By getting the power to the ground smoothly!.

The Quaife's unique design offers:

* Maximum cornering traction
* Improves handling and steering in all situations
* Puts the power where it is needed most, the wheel with the most traction!
* A definite advantage whether on the track or on the street.
* Quieter and less maintenance than a clutch pack style LSD"

source: vacmotorsports.com
Umm didn't I say the exact samething?
The LSD helps off the line acceleration and
the slow corners because the LSD helps the
traction. M3 is not a tq monster where they can
break loose the traction at 50mph going WOT
Old 05-10-2009, 02:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dsm' post='873454' date='May 9 2009, 10:07 AM
wow i didnt get you there. What the @#$! do u mean by "is that a real question". well fuck yes it is. dont try to be a smartass. if you cant help then stfu
Duh, hello, I was serious. This is like asking if car A has one driver and car B has one driver, equal, identical cars, but car B had 700lbs worth of bricks in the trunk, which is faster. Yes, it's a stupid questions. Which do you think is faster...the lighter one of course. This is why a Cobra or a Lotus is quick....IT'S about WEIGHT....or lack thereof!

So, since you don't seem to understand weight, if you put 100lbs on your back and race up a hill and then do it without, which time will be quicker?

Engineers....oh my

Ever hear about 100lbs being 0.1 secondsin the quarter mile? WEIGHT is bad!
Old 05-10-2009, 04:07 AM
dsm
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Titanium Silver Metallic Automatic Transmission, Ventilated Comfort Seats in Beige Nasca Leather, Light Popular Trim, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Night Vision, Cruise Control, Logic 7, Blue tooth Hands Free, Dynamic Stability, Soft Close, Heated Steering wheel, Dynamic Drive, Voice commands

Originally Posted by sy1616' post='874113' date='May 10 2009, 05:47 AM
Duh, hello, I was serious. This is like asking if car A has one driver and car B has one driver, equal, identical cars, but car B had 700lbs worth of bricks in the trunk, which is faster. Yes, it's a stupid questions. Which do you think is faster...the lighter one of course. This is why a Cobra or a Lotus is quick....IT'S about WEIGHT....or lack thereof!

So, since you don't seem to understand weight, if you put 100lbs on your back and race up a hill and then do it without, which time will be quicker?

Engineers....oh my

Ever hear about 100lbs being 0.1 secondsin the quarter mile? WEIGHT is bad!
"but will there be a big difference in 0-60 with 4 people rather than 1 in a 550i or 545i."
You i am afraid to say have trouble comprehending english. I asked "will there be a big difference in 0-60". That implies i already know that there will be a difference but i specifically added 'BIG' so dumb people like you wouldnt have trouble in understanding. seems i overestimated you.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by uheenada' post='874085' date='May 10 2009, 04:22 AM
Umm didn't I say the exact samething?
The LSD helps off the line acceleration and
the slow corners because the LSD helps the
traction. M3 is not a tq monster where they can
break loose the traction at 50mph going WOT
there is a big difference between a LIMITED SLIP rear and a POSI rear (or POSI-TRACTION for you non car people) and a LOCKED rear.

you have LSD (Limited Slip) it will not affect your car in corners negatively. a posi rear would negatively affect aggressive cornering, a locked rear is horrible in corners and should only be used on drag cars.

in the car world, traction goes like this from least traction to most:

"Dead Rear" (no affect on cornering)
"Limited Slip Rear" (no affect on cornering)
"Posi Rear" (some affect on cornering)
"Locked Rear" (not really for a car that turns at all)

I have driven cars with each type of rear. I spent thousands of dollars on the rear setup in my mustang and researched it extensively. We can talk about Posi units, axles, the differences between 29 splines, 31 splines, etc. we can talk about gear ratios, their affect on acceleration/top speed, the effects of different gear ratios on naturally asperated/forced induction vehicles, difference the type of traction has in relation to drivetrain, etc. i can argue with you all until i am blue in the face, but someone here will refute what i am saying (swajames )

that is all for now. hope i have helped.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package Limo Tinted, Heads up display, Fully Loaded Minus Cold Weather Package and Rear window Sunshades.

I Just want to add to this despite the facts.

I personally raced an e46 the other day. from 2 red lights. I had 1 passenger and so did the asian man in the m3.

The only reason I mention his race is because asians know how to drive sticks very well. At least I think they do? I'd like to think he knew how to drive his m3.. he did have a cute chick in his passenger seat. So I'm pretty sure it was his car.

anyways everytime off the line I took this guy with 2000RPM DSC off brake torquing.

on the 2nd run I think he slipped on a gear because I pulled on him like crazy after 1st, taking it up to 75mph and 3 car lengths before slowing back down to 45.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jrowe' post='874436' date='May 10 2009, 07:22 PM

I personally raced an e46 the other day. from 2 red lights. I had 1 passenger and so did the asian man in the m3.

The only reason I mention his race is because asians know how to drive sticks very well. At least I think they do? I'd like to think he knew how to drive his m3.. he did have a cute chick in his passenger seat. So I'm pretty sure it was his car.

anyways everytime off the line I took this guy with 2000RPM DSC off brake torquing.

on the 2nd run I think he slipped on a gear because I pulled on him like crazy after 1st, taking it up to 75mph and 3 car lengths before slowing back down to 45.

1. Asians drive stick well? that is THE DUMBEST thing i ever heard.

2. He had a cute chick in the passenger seat so you thought it was his car... 2nd DUMBEST thing I have ever heard.

1a. why would Asians drive stick better?
1b. What kind of Asian was he? I heard Iranians are AWESOME at driving stick, and those Khazaks are pretty good too.
1c. no 1c. I think I have made my point
Old 05-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jrowe' post='874436' date='May 10 2009, 07:22 PM

btw your so called Asians (with a capital A) that you speak of, I presume you are making reference to the Japanese or Chinese type, since those are the only Asains people tend to think of because people are well, ignorant, have a stigma of driving poorly, no?

if you are going to make a dousche stereotype statement, at least get it right
Old 05-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport Package Limo Tinted, Heads up display, Fully Loaded Minus Cold Weather Package and Rear window Sunshades.

Whoa there craigy. I was just making quick reference before I had people coming at me about it being some rich kid not knowing how to drive a stick in daddy's car.

Chill bro. And in fact I think he was more of the Filipino race. Either way I always thought asians take more pride in their stick driving abilities then most other races... Iranians??? Dude I am kinda pissed your trying to display me as a racist because of my comment. Then call me douchey? WOW... what a douchebag....
Old 05-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jrowe' post='874452' date='May 10 2009, 07:49 PM
Whoa there craigy. I was just making quick reference before I had people coming at me about it being some rich kid not knowing how to drive a stick in daddy's car.

Chill bro. And in fact I think he was more of the Filipino race. Either way I always thought asians take more pride in their stick driving abilities then most other races... Iranians??? Dude I am kinda pissed your trying to display me as a racist because of my comment. Then call me the douchey? WOW... what a douchebag....
no no, i wasnt calling you a racist. it was just kind of ignorant. I am a self proclaimed douchebag, so sticks and stones... but honestly, kind of a weird statement. maybe I am just grumpy because it is early into my 12 hour shift. no hard feelings.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='874455' date='May 10 2009, 03:56 PM
no no, i wasnt calling you a racist. it was just kind of ignorant. I am a self proclaimed douchebag, so sticks and stones... but honestly, kind of a weird statement. maybe I am just grumpy because it is early into my 12 hour shift. no hard feelings.

It's cool man just don't let it happen again! prick

Quick Reply: BMW E60 545 Vs BMW M3 Convertible E46