E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

bmw dealer told me

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i 07

ok i found it , but i need to ask u question is that law also applied in germany?, and what about the rims guys is there any difference in the offset of the replica rims and the orignals ones
Old 08-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bahabishoo' post='639331' date='Aug 4 2008, 12:54 PM
ok i found it , but i need to ask u question is that law also applied in germany?, and what about the rims guys is there any difference in the offset of the replica rims and the orignals ones
Magnuson Moss doesn't even apply to your situation in the U.S. and U.S. law does not apply to other countries.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='639310' date='Aug 4 2008, 12:20 PM
Magnusson-Moss has nothing to do with whether a warranty can be voided for this reason. I suggest reading the text of the actual act for further clarification. It speaks to tie-ins and that's about the extent of it.
Here is the FTC's explanation of prohibited tie-in's under the MMWA:
Originally Posted by From the FTC
"Tie-In Sales" Provisions
Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

While you cannot use a tie-in sales provision, your warranty need not cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for your product. The following is an example of a permissible provision that excludes coverage of such things.

While necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company, we recommend that you use only authorized AudioMundo dealers. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repair voids this warranty.

Although tie-in sales provisions generally are not allowed, you can include such a provision in your warranty if you can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the FTC that your product will not work properly without a specified item or service. If you believe that this is the case, you should contact the warranty staff of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection for information on how to apply for a waiver of the tie-in sales prohibition.
What he described fits these facts exactly. They told him his car would be "out of warranty" if he installed a non-BMW m-tech kit, aftermarket wheels or Koni's. In the U.S., they cannot threaten to void your warranty if you refuse to buy BMW OEM parts. Thus, although he is not in the U.S., so this does not apply to him, I do believe that if he were in the U.S., it would apply.

Whether they can refuse to service the car is another issue that I was not addressing.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 1esquire' post='639362' date='Aug 4 2008, 01:17 PM
Here is the FTC's explanation of prohibited tie-in's under the MMWA:

What he described fits these facts exactly. They told him his car would be "out of warranty" if he installed a non-BMW m-tech kit, aftermarket wheels or Koni's. In the U.S., they cannot threaten to void your warranty if you refuse to buy BMW OEM parts. Thus, although he is not in the U.S., so this does not apply to him, I do believe that if he were in the U.S., it would apply.

Whether they can refuse to service the car is another issue that I was not addressing.
Actually, tie-ins refer to supplies such as an oil filter (just like vacuum cleaner bags) or copier toner (which is one of the things that led to MM), not to changing out parts.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by Bahabishoo' post='639243' date='Aug 4 2008, 07:37 AM
bmw dealer told me, m166 wheels wont fit with my 525i...thats what he said and also if i got any after market rims suspesnion goes out of warranty and also...
It'll fit if you use 245/35 front and 275/30 rear instead of the M5 size tires.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Members

thanks alot guys for explaing to me , about the rims i told them about the wheel size as u have stated sir also they said that it wont fit thanks again i really apprecicate it but i think i'm going to change my mind from what i heared today i feel frustrated
Old 08-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Production date: 02/04 Color: Black Sapphire Metallic Trim: Anthracite Options: Sport package with STEPTRONIC, Premium Sound, Rear Sunshade, Xenon

Originally Posted by Bahabishoo' post='639682' date='Aug 4 2008, 08:26 PM
thanks alot guys for explaing to me , about the rims i told them about the wheel size as u have stated sir also they said that it wont fit thanks again i really apprecicate it but i think i'm going to change my mind from what i heared today i feel frustrated
A lot of folks here have 166 & 167 rims with 245/35 and 275/30 including myself. Your dealer SUCKS!
Old 08-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Bahabishoo' post='639243' date='Aug 4 2008, 10:37 AM
thats what he said and also if i got any after market rims suspesnion goes out of warranty and also the mtech kit should come from bmw otherwise they would not install it there as the car will be out of warranty also, when i asked them about installing koni's suspension they said also u will get out of warranty, when i asked them about m5 grills they said u will need m5 feneders??? asked them about getting the grill and install it on my orginal feneders they said they have never done this before i dont know what to do??
==================================
Hey 'Bahabishoo',

I have a 2005 e60 530i, and have BMW OEM 166 M5 rims, and they do fit a stock e60 for the most part, now what don't fit the stock 5 series is the e60 M5 tire size, and you will need on your BMW OEM 166s: 285/30/19 rear and 245/35/19 front. and they should not scrub!

Also the M5 Kidney grills will fit the BMW OEM Aerodynamic "M" front bumper, (which is the kidney grills are same size as the stock e60 front bumper), I know because that what I had on mine a couple of months back before the M5 replica conversion process. (I know nothing about the M tech kit. I stayed with BMW OEM Aerodynamic M kit that is found on the option check list of all new e60s from BMW NA. Now it is expensive, (but so is our e60 BMWs!!), but its well worth is because it is BMW OEM, and will not lower your resale value when you get ready to sell if painted and installed by your local BMW approved paint & body shop, where other 3rd party vendor kits could hurt your resale value, because their not BMW OEM).

I know this can be a pain in the A!s!!(LOL). But it is always good to check with BMW dealers first, when it comes to our warranties when we modify like your about to do, you might want to try another BMW dealer, and I hope this helps!!

Eddie Presley aka Presley348
Old 08-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

Originally Posted by Presley348' post='639715' date='Aug 4 2008, 06:24 PM
Now it is expensive, (but so is our e60 BMWs!!), but its well worth is because it is BMW OEM, and will not lower your resale value when you get ready to sell if painted and installed by your local BMW approved paint & body shop, where other 3rd party vendor kits could hurt your resale value, because their not BMW OEM).
Wow... that's a first. So does you car increase in value with the kit painted by BMW? I never heard such things

BTW, there are no "replica" M-Tech kits

I don't trust the dealer, the only people I trust with my car is the e60 forums and my e60 friends
Old 08-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Members

thanks alot i mean it, know what really sucks when u go and u r happy coz u r ready for getting something that u have waitted for long time and you have seen other doing and when it comes to you :thumbsdown: i have to admit i'm unlucky at all but anyways i'm going to postpone my plans little bit coz i thought of if, now i got 11k i will wait and i might get used m5 e39 or mini cooper s leave my e60 stock i dont know till now i'm still thinkking