E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW DEALER STATES ALL FOUR RIMS ARE BENT

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my car to a local dealer who i have been dealing with since i bought the car. The car has 20,000 miles on it and has had no major accidents or repairs needed. I took the car in due to the active sterring not working proper and the car pulling to the left. They replaced a power sterring pump and informed me that the active sterring is failing due to the rims on all 4 tires being bent on the inside. They quoted me 1000 to repair the rims and another 100 to aline them. They said if i did not get this repair done adn the active sterring keeps failing then it would VOID my warranty. Has anyone ever heard of this?? thank you in advance
Old 07-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

hit many potholes?
take it to an independent shop to see if your rims are really bent
Old 07-03-2006, 06:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i.... Saphire Black Metallic...19 inch Axis Milanos....Auburn dakota interior.....ACS rear lip spoiler... And a whole lot of head turns ;)

Originally Posted by DINAN530i' post='306632' date='Jul 3 2006, 09:14 PM
I took my car to a local dealer who i have been dealing with since i bought the car. The car has 20,000 miles on it and has had no major accidents or repairs needed. I took the car in due to the active sterring not working proper and the car pulling to the left. They replaced a power sterring pump and informed me that the active sterring is failing due to the rims on all 4 tires being bent on the inside. They quoted me 1000 to repair the rims and another 100 to aline them. They said if i did not get this repair done adn the active sterring keeps failing then it would VOID my warranty. Has anyone ever heard of this?? thank you in advance

Wow I never heard of something like this before. Bent wheels do cause misallignment and will cause a pull, but the Power steering failing because of this? i dont know about that.

I think its time for a wheel upgrade

Kris
Old 07-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Senior Members

just check my voice mail and my service Advisor called and stated she had an out side company repair the wheels and I wanted to inspect them on wensday and now that she has already completed the work without me lookin at them first. How did she not know i wanted to have them done by someone else? SHould i have to pay for this? what so you all think i should do here...?
Old 07-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Wooo did you authorized the repair? If not say thank you and pay them the $100 for the alignment and be on your way.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Senior Members

But how can you bent all four rims, what style of rims you are using? Where did you park or drive your car normally?
Old 07-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Members

DO NOT PAY for that repair. It was not auth. by you. Tell her that you were gonna spend that money on new rims, different style. or whatever, but you should not pay for a repair that was not authorized by you.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, olivine green, beige interior, SMG, cold weather package, Sport package, Comfort access, Comfort seating, adaptive steering, Navigation

I used to have a 1996 C36 and it was nice. One night as I was driving home from a shift at 0100 hrs during an approaching hurricane, I hit a very small tree (3"-4") diameter which initially did not seem to hurt my car. (I was going about 95 mph and was overriding my headlights. The tree snuck up on me and I didn't try toswerve, just figured might as well hit it.) My AMG rims got bent. The car still drove ok, but there was a shake at all speeds in my wheel. My point being, I could see how a constant vibratory force could cause premature failure of a steering pump. I would look into other alternatives. I would also refuse to pay for an unauthorized repair. I would not get overly upset or stomp my feet etc, I would just say no and tell them I want my car. At worst case, you may have to write a check and then stop payment once you get your keys in hand. Certainly don't have to listen to my opinion as it was unsolicited, but it is my opinion.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport, Premium, Logic 7, Jet Black, Black Leather, M-Aero Kit, 15% (very dark) Tint, Eichbach Lowering Springs, Red Brake Calipers, Radenergie R-10's, Michelin PilotSport2 in 245/35/20 and 285/30/20, Rolled Fenders, and a nifty Graco Baby Car Seat. Next Up: Xenon fogs, Eisemann Exhaust, iPod Interface, Comfort Seats.

That is baloney. First of all, my dealer told me I had a bent rim and I needed to buy a new one. I had planned to buy new wheels/tires, but not yet, so I bought a new $500 rim from BMW. I later learned that I could have driven on it if they just rebalanced it, and reindexed it.
In your case:
#1. Repair not authorized, you don't pay a dime.
#2. They are lying- a slightly bent rim is not a problem, in fact it's typical and we usually don't even know we have a bent rim. I bet 99% of us have a slightly bent rim and don't feel a thing.
#3. A good wheel shop can re-index a tire/wheel, and do an on car balance to minimize any vibration to the point that you'll never notice.
#4. If they say bent rims void your AS warrantee, ask them what about the wheel warrantee? Did you hit a pothole, or maybe your rims are crap from the factory. The whole thing is their problem. If I were you, I would be very pissed off at them, and I'd call BMWNA immediately and ask for an appointment with a BMWNA field rep to get this resolved.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='306682
That is baloney. First of all, my dealer told me I had a bent rim and I needed to buy a new one. I had planned to buy new wheels/tires, but not yet, so I bought a new $500 rim from BMW. I later learned that I could have driven on it if they just rebalanced it, and reindexed it.
In your case:
#1. Repair not authorized, you don't pay a dime.
#2. They are lying- a slightly bent rim is not a problem, in fact it's typical and we usually don't even know we have a bent rim. I bet 99% of us have a slightly bent rim and don't feel a thing.
#3. A good wheel shop can re-index a tire/wheel, and do an on car balance to minimize any vibration to the point that you'll never notice.
#4. If they say bent rims void your AS warrantee, ask them what about the wheel warrantee? Did you hit a pothole, or maybe your rims are crap from the factory. The whole thing is their problem. If I were you, I would be very pissed off at them, and I'd call BMWNA immediately and ask for an appointment with a BMWNA field rep to get this resolved.
I already called BMWNA and they are awaiting a call back from me, maybe once i talk to the Service Manager tomorrow and still nothing gets resolved then i will request a field inspect. But in no way am i paying for something i Did not auth. This whole thing seems fishy to me....and just keeps getting worse...

Quick Reply: BMW DEALER STATES ALL FOUR RIMS ARE BENT