E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Customer Service is Terrible

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoRavens
All Auto Customer Service is terrible unless you own an exotic auto.
Paying the $400 in taxes is not the point at all. That's really nothing. The real point is that this is something that should have been fixed under warranty. If it was a recurring problem that was not fixed (for whatever reason) under warranty, then it should still be covered. Whether they were following proper "BMW protocol or procedure" is really irrelevant, because that proper protocol and procedure did not cure the problem in the first instance.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

It's the same story whatever brand or dealership.

My wife's car has been back to dealership with faulty central locking 5 times, they still don't know what the problem is.

Mostly, I think they just park it in the corner of the workshop and pretend to have worked on it

Terrible customer service is the car dealer byword, although there are some good one's.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

thats what i dont like about mosts dealers, if the problem doesnt throw a code, then they do nothing.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

BMWNA has a regional rep who oversees dealers in his or her region. If I were you I'd be asking for a meeting between you, the general manager at the dealership, the manager of the service department and the BMWNA rep. You've been offered an "OK" fallback position here, but based on what you've said I think you have a case for a goodwill warranty repair. Only BMWNA can authorize that, hence your need to have them there. Furthermore, the prospect of such a meeting will, most probably, galvanize the dealer's resolve to get this fixed to your satisfaction prior to the meeting. Either way, I agree that a goodwill repair would seem to be equitable here, I suspect the BMW rep will understand why you are frustrated given the prior service history on transmission related issues.

Bottom line, you're already in a reasonable place if all you have to pay is tax, you may be able to get to a better place if you escalate again but involve the local BMW rep rather than just calling the BMW customer service line.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by joelans
Paying the $400 in taxes is not the point at all. That's really nothing. The real point is that this is something that should have been fixed under warranty. If it was a recurring problem that was not fixed (for whatever reason) under warranty, then it should still be covered. Whether they were following proper "BMW protocol or procedure" is really irrelevant, because that proper protocol and procedure did not cure the problem in the first instance.
From a dealers point it is VERY relevant. The service dept. can only perform certain actions based on the symptoms present when they look at the car. If they do anything outside of this they don't get reimbursed by BMWNA. If you were willing to pay out of pocket at the start the techs would have probably figured out your tranny was bad much sooner. But since they were getting reimbursed by BMWNA they had to follow their rules. It just so happens that during the course of this problem the warranty expired - that's just bad timing.

I agree that you have a pretty good case to make with corporate. If you think debating the service history and dealer actions with corporate is worth more than $350 in taxes that's cool too. Hope it works out for ya.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Members

Hey Joelans, what about filling us in on the specific problem with your transmission and the fault codes at the end.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Members

Don't know what the actual fault code turned out to be (aparently, something the dealer never experienced before as they had to talk to BMW engineering), but the problem was this - between 35-40 mph, on a level road, with the tach somewhere between 1,500 to 2,000, the rpm would jump (for less than a second) about 200 to 300 rpm. Never felt it shift or anything, as it was for a split-second, and it could have been a fuel management problem, but it turned out to the the tranny.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 07 525i. titanium grey, cold, premium, 6k headlights, V2 angle eyes, full LED interiors, LED licence plate lights, LED smoke side markers, LCI euro tail lights.

+100
Old 03-20-2010, 07:40 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i M Sport

i paid taxes 3 weeks ago ($1100) for my short block replacement not being under warranty either. The problem is that this is the law to pay taxes and as BMW pays for the fix You are responsible for the tax (welcome to US). I understand the point as the problem has not been fixed under the warranty, but I do not think You can do anythink about it. I think this week I am going to the dealer for the simmilar problem as I talked to BMWNA allready and will let You know what they say. GL and keep us posted
Old 03-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i 2006 model w/ Nav

So, I've been taking my 530i to the dealer since Decemebr for a potential transmission problem. Each time the dealer was trying to trouble shoot the issue, but the "fix" never worked and had the same, recurring problem. Three days before the CPO warranty was to expire, I brought it in again for the same, recurring problem. That time, the dealer told me that the trans gasket and sleeve needed to be replaced, but it was not covered under warranty. After a long fight, I got a discount on that (BMW is so nice). Now, the same transmission problem is still there (the last "fix" still didn't fix the problem), but it is now three weeks after the CPO expired, and the dealer said that they are now (finally) reading a fault code in the computer and the entire transsmision needs to be replaced - of course, now they say the warranty doesn't apply because the CPO expired! Even though they never fixed it while it was under warranty! So, the dealer and BMW reps tell me that, out of "good will," they'll only charge me the $400 in taxes for the new transmission, even though the entire thing should have been fixed while it was under warranty (for a $50 deductible). Amazingly, BMW corporate was no help either. Way to stand behind your customers!
I understand your frustration......I don't know, $400 and basically you get a brand new transmission?? Could have turned out worse in my opinion but you certainly make a valid point.