E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Customer Service is Terrible

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 05:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I've been taking my 530i to the dealer since Decemebr for a potential transmission problem. Each time the dealer was trying to trouble shoot the issue, but the "fix" never worked and had the same, recurring problem. Three days before the CPO warranty was to expire, I brought it in again for the same, recurring problem. That time, the dealer told me that the trans gasket and sleeve needed to be replaced, but it was not covered under warranty. After a long fight, I got a discount on that (BMW is so nice). Now, the same transmission problem is still there (the last "fix" still didn't fix the problem), but it is now three weeks after the CPO expired, and the dealer said that they are now (finally) reading a fault code in the computer and the entire transsmision needs to be replaced - of course, now they say the warranty doesn't apply because the CPO expired! Even though they never fixed it while it was under warranty! So, the dealer and BMW reps tell me that, out of "good will," they'll only charge me the $400 in taxes for the new transmission, even though the entire thing should have been fixed while it was under warranty (for a $50 deductible). Amazingly, BMW corporate was no help either. Way to stand behind your customers!
Old 03-19-2010, 05:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535XI white
Model Year: 2008

maybe you can call BMW of NA see if they can help?
Old 03-19-2010, 05:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 08white
maybe you can call BMW of NA see if they can help?
All ready did. They're the ones I'm most disappointed in.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport

I believe that others have had luck with warranty covering items originally brought to light before the warranty period expired. So since you've identified and brought this issue to your dealers attention (several times?) prior to your CPO warranty expiration, the same conditions and coverage limits should still apply.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Don't give up on this one.

It is ridiculous that there are still many dealerships out there that opt for the quick win instead of a strong relationship with their customers which will be much more beneficial to them in the long run.

They will get burned for it eventually, no reason to settle for such nonsense till then though...
Old 03-19-2010, 06:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Do you have all your service records from said trips?
Do they explicitly state that the car was being serviced for the Transmission?
Did 3 occur during one calendar year?

If yes to all three check your states Lemon laws... they differ , some have to be with in one year of the car being purchased new... others not.

Get your facts correct and sorted out, they if the lemon law applies to your case call NA and ask to speak with the regional case director for your region. Present a logical well stated case , and don't use Naughty words or harsh tones. Be firm... State your goal, state what you expect your correct out come to be. Last resort Lawyer if you have a "leg to stand on".

Only having to pay taxes is not bad. I've heard horror stories about Transmission fixes $3500+
Old 03-19-2010, 06:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

In all fairness, dealer service departments are programmed to only act on actual fault codes. They can't really think/repair "outside the box" since corporate BMW won't pay for it. Unless there was a bulletin out there that you can prove they failed to follow, it would be pretty hard to convince them they are not acting reasonable.

Look at it this way. Your warrany expired, they are still replacing your transmission that costs several grand for free, yet you are upset over $350 ($400 less the $50 CPO deductible)????

I'd be happy with that - but that's my opinion.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:40 AM
Members

If you mind sharing, what exactly was wrong with the transmission ? What was the fult code that finally showed up.

My suggestion, try to get it for free but $350 fall back is not that bad.

Good luck
Old 03-19-2010, 06:53 AM
Contributors

What is this "recurring problem" anyways?
Old 03-19-2010, 07:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i (Sport, Prem, Nav, Logic7, Comf. Seats) Black on Black

All Auto Customer Service is terrible unless you own an exotic auto.

Quick Reply: BMW Customer Service is Terrible