E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW cooling issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: 10/3/09

Just got done swapping the radiator. Turned out it was the radiator. I took lots of pictures and will put together a DIY. I am surprised that the radiator failed the way it did. In the recent past, it's been plastic end tanks but this radiator is all aluminum yet it still somehow failed.
Failure was on the bottom passenger side. I bought an oem BEHR unit that was 1/2 the cost of the BMW unit. Only difference, the replacement radiator does not have a drain plug. Fortunately, there is a smaller lower hose right under where the drain plug would be, so I can just disconnect it if I ever need to empty out the radiator. I could not afford to tie up the car since its my wife daily driver so I had to complete the job in 1 shot.
Regards.
Raj
Old 10-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by 968turboS' post='1023609' date='Oct 3 2009, 12:27 AM

Just got done swapping the radiator. Turned out it was the radiator. I took lots of pictures and will put together a DIY. I am surprised that the radiator failed the way it did. In the recent past, it's been plastic end tanks but this radiator is all aluminum yet it still somehow failed.
Failure was on the bottom passenger side. I bought an oem BEHR unit that was 1/2 the cost of the BMW unit. Only difference, the replacement radiator does not have a drain plug. Fortunately, there is a smaller lower hose right under where the drain plug would be, so I can just disconnect it if I ever need to empty out the radiator. I could not afford to tie up the car since its my wife daily driver so I had to complete the job in 1 shot.
Regards.
Raj
All's well that ends well. G/L with the new radiator.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Members

I got the low coolant level warning a few days ago while the car was parked on an extreme angle. Went away for a few days, but now it's showing up while the car is parked level. I don't see any spots where it's leaking any coolant. Here's hoping I don't have a leak somewhere. Car is an '09 with 12,000 miles on it.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 968turboS' post='1023609' date='Oct 2 2009, 09:27 PM

Regards.
Raj
Wow that's great information! If you put together a DIY it'll really be appreciated.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 968turboS' post='1023609' date='Oct 3 2009, 12:27 AM

Regards.
Raj
Yup - good reminder for out of warranty cooling system (radiator) replacements. I used BEHR's 3-4 times for replacements on my 740's. They seemed to last a bit longer and they even replaced one free that started leaking after about 9 months and 60K miles. Boy am I glad I'm not doing the road warrior routine these days!!
Old 10-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by southerndoc' post='1023821' date='Oct 3 2009, 02:35 PM
I got the low coolant level warning a few days ago while the car was parked on an extreme angle. Went away for a few days, but now it's showing up while the car is parked level. I don't see any spots where it's leaking any coolant. Here's hoping I don't have a leak somewhere. Car is an '09 with 12,000 miles on it.
Loss of some coolant is normal. I would strongly suggest you check the level in the resevoir and top it off. Keep an eye and see if it remains the same for some time. Its normal to top off the reservoir with a quart every yr or two. These cars run at high temps so its normal to have coolant loss.
Raj
Old 10-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Contributors

Thanks everyone.
I promise to write something shortly. I took plenty of pictures so it should help.
BEHR is what came out of the car as well. Looks like they are are oem suppliers to BMW. What was upsetting was the fact that an all metal radiator failed as well. It's always been plastic end tanks in the past but I guess the radiators are just not as good as they used to be yrs back.
On a side note, these failures seem common on BMW but my Porsches have never had issues. I understand that there is a big mileage variance in how often they are driven but needless, I never ever hear Porsche radiators fail.
Raj