E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW chrome front plate - Tacky Looking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 10:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Hi all,

Was thinking about going with one of those chrome BMW plates. The other option, bumper plugs might look too obvious with the hole positions being somewhat close together. Plus your drilling wider holes in bumper to install and, heck despite repeated requests, no posts with a pic showing what they're like.

The trouble is I've often thought the chrome plates look over the top. Like, telling the world that "I've got a BMW and I'm wearing jewerly around my neck." Being low key, I prefer the somewhat stock, the Columbo and the under the radar approach. That said, I've got four ugly holes to contend with and a nice plate covers these in one shot . Issue gone.

Any thoughts and a few pics would help?

CVT Benhogan
Old 04-19-2006, 10:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

chrome licence plate = :thumbsdown: ugly, ackward, MB style
BMW makes engough statement by itself... no need to put flashy I have a BMW sign all the way to the front of the car
Old 04-19-2006, 12:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

He is talking about the chrome license plate with the BMW logo. I too like the low key approach and would not want a front license plate if one is not required by state law. I think I would try the plugs, which I have seen on the internet somewhere. Sorry I can't post a pic or link. They are really cheap though, so buy them and try them to see what you think before you stick a plate on the front.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Front license plates ruin the look of the car. Don't get one.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Contributors

Keep it low key / low profile. You've got the sport package so a lot of the chrome has been eliminated ... follow that trend, I say.

I had the BMW chrome plates on my 7 series and they looked good, but they fit the overall style of that car. No so for the E60.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='271363' date='Apr 20 2006, 12:27 AM
Keep it low key / low profile. You've got the sport package so a lot of the chrome has been eliminated ... follow that trend, I say.
Same taughts here.

If you have chromed frames around the side windows it may look nice
but if not, forget it.

A pic would help out here a lot
Old 04-20-2006, 02:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='271556' date='Apr 20 2006, 01:22 AM
Same taughts here.

If you have chromed frames around the side windows it may look nice
but if not, forget it.

A pic would help out here a lot
Definitely do not get a chrome license plate, especially since you have shadow line trim on your car (with sport package). The only front license plates that I like are the long euro-style custom plates that you
can order from bavarian autosport.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Some like Euro plates. If you can find a pic, check out EBMCS03's or Miss545i's front plates. I have mixed emotions about Euro plates, but not because they don't look good. I think they look pretty good and go well with the clever personalized plate idea--if you are at all attracted to personalized plates. Neither are my cup of tea, but whatever floats your boat works for me. I don't think that these approaches are totally distasteful. Plugs work for me too, but not chrome anything.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i (Silver-Gray, Gray Lthr., Anthracite Maple) with Steptronic, Prem. Pkg., Logic 7, Xenons & Chrome factory wheels.

Originally Posted by markt540i' post='271310' date='Apr 19 2006, 01:33 PM
I think I would try the plugs, which I have seen on the internet somewhere. Sorry I can't post a pic or link. They are really cheap though, so buy them and try them to see what you think before you stick a plate on the front.
http://bumperplugs.com/
Old 04-20-2006, 10:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by turnbowm' post='271731' date='Apr 20 2006, 11:55 AM
that was hard

Quick Reply: BMW chrome front plate - Tacky Looking?