E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Brakes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 10:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sumu' post='194704
Originally Posted by sumu' post='194638' date='Nov 7 2005, 10:17 AM
Is the sqeal on light/moderate braking and from the right side of the car? If so this seems to be a general issue with E60/E61 that BMW has yet to solve in a permanent way. I posted on this a short while ago...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...7946&hl=brakes

My dealer says that the issue is the design of the pad sensor. They say they could replace the pads/sensor but it wouldn't necessarily fix the problem. They are awating a fix from BMW.

I agree that this is quite an annoying issue - I'd certainly like to get a fix ASAP.
It absolutely can be fixed. I had the same problem and after taking it in a good 2X with the dealer merely "cleaning" them off they finally changed the pads and reset the sensors and the squeaking is gone for >10,000 miles now.
Hmmm, what you say is interesting. So maybe I need to go back again to the dealer and ask more questions. Do you know what the issue is - is it faulty pads, faulty setup, or a tolerance issue? It seems that in some cases pad replacement does not cure the problem. Anybody know if there is a BMW service advisory on the brakes noise issue?
[/quote]

Try bedding in your brakes.

Use the following procedure:

1. Begin with a series of ten partial braking events, from 60mph down to 10mph. This will typically raise the temperature of the brake components sufficiently to be considered one bed-in set. Each of the ten partial braking events should achieve moderate-to-high deceleration (about 80 to 90% of the deceleration required to lock up the brakes and/or to engage the ABS), and they should be made one after the other, without allowing the brakes to cool in between.

2. This first set of stops in the bed-in process is only complete when all ten stops have been performed - not before.

3. The system should then be allowed to cool, by driving the vehicle at the highest safe speed for the circumstances, without bringing it to a complete stop with the brakes still applied.

4. After cooling the vehicle, a second set of ten partial braking events should be performed, followed by another cooling exercise. In some situations, a third set is beneficial, but two are normally sufficient.

After this, then you are done.

You must understand, high performance braking systems like to be pushed hard and are intended for hard braking. When used for normal daily, street driving the pads and rotors tend to lose their bed-in layer, which increases the likelihood of squeaks.

Heck, just be happy BMW isn't using Brembos for OEM brakes ... those squeak like a mouse caught underneath a rocking chair ...
Old 11-07-2005, 12:00 PM
Members

The bed-in procedure is good advice.

My 530 and now my 645 did the same thing. I never bedded in the pads, just drove the car.

The above poster is right. Using the brakes "gingerly" will cause this problem.

My Corvette has a track-based braking package. It's used solely for 9/10ths and up driving, and I never have had a squeaking problem with the brakes. They are of the type that need to be brought up to temperature before they work properly. If I drove this car in traffic and made regular Minivan-type stops, they'd squeal like a stuck pig, I'm sure.

So I took the 645 out on a desolate, flat road and followed the Brembo bed-in procedure for the brakes. Found a route home that didn't require me to use my brakes AT ALL (kind of hard to do, but I did it) and let them cool down.

It works, and it works well. Surely there are still harmonic squeaks going on, but they are now OUT OF RANGE of the human ear. And that's fine with me.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car currently has:

squeaky brakes (dealer states this is normal)
window squeak (repaired once)
squeaky comforts seats (at every stop and start)
idrive button clanks when sliding down and right

this is one of the loudest interiors by far...

snap, pop, squeak

have luxury automobiles always been such non-luxury?
Old 11-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ethanbmw' post='194789' date='Nov 7 2005, 01:10 PM
my car currently has:

squeaky brakes (dealer states this is normal)
window squeak (repaired once)
squeaky comforts seats (at every stop and start)
idrive button clanks when sliding down and right

this is one of the loudest interiors by far...

snap, pop, squeak

have luxury automobiles always been such non-luxury?
You must have selected Option 1000 - musical car.

Honestly, for your brakes, try the bed-in procedure I outlined above. For the seats, try some WD-40. The i-drive button? That's a new one to me. Sorry, no help there.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:55 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I've had brake squeaks--in varying degrees--in just about every high performance car I've owned. This is typically caused by the brakes becoming glazed (believe it or not caused by not braking hard enough). Take you car out on the highway and while traveling at, say, 60 MPH, brake hard (do it in the right lane when nobody is behind you) to get down to around 30 MPH, then accelerate and repeat a few times. This will burn off the glazing and you should be fine. Depending on your driving style, the squeak may return after a while, then you have to repeat the procedure above.

With my last BMW the dealer applied some anti-squeak substance to the brakes, which also worked well (this was before I learned about the hard braking method).
Old 11-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

I had the same problem about 3 or 4 months ago about 18000 miles took it in the dealer said there is a TSB to shave down the sensor wich worked and 5000 miles later still no squeek or noise.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Members

it happenned with my car also.They fixed it,it turned out to be the sensors.It hasnt came back since
Old 11-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '11 X5 xDrive35i Sport Activity M Sport Carbon Black Cinnamon Brown Dark Bamboo Anthracite Headliner M Sports Pkg Convenience Pkg Active Steering Comfort Access Heated Front Seats Navigation Premium Hi-Fi

I had the same problem (23,000 miles), I didn't believe them when they told me it was the Brake Sensors...when I picked it up...good as new...no more screeching...
Old 11-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Members

I would definitely try what the earliest posters said and do some VERY hard braking to get the soccer mom braking surface off the pads. Personally, I've never had this problem but that probably speaks to my braking style.

And heck, you may as well have some fun before bringing it to the dealer if it doesn't work, right?

- Sean
Old 11-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brake sensor causes the noise. It happened on my car, too, and they filed brake sensor a bit, and noise went away. It starts coming back now, but not as bad as before. It happens during hot days.

Quick Reply: BMW Brakes!!!