E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Brakes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 04:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I know there have been many topics/problems on BMW Brakes ... rather it be the excessive brake dust or what I am experiencing presently... That annoying LOUD SQUEAL!!! when braking :thumbsdown:. I will tell you that it is very much an embarrassment when you're driving 59K Ultimate Driving Machine and stop at a light next to a HOOPTY and you scare the hell out of the occupants due to the loud squeal.

But, to rub more salt into this existing wound, my BMW Service Rep told me when I took the car in for maintanance, "You have to understand; BMW is the standard for driving performance, not so much as problem brakes". So I kindly replied "Hey man, I'm driving a so called high end car here, and you mean to tell me that I should settle for loud brakes just as long as the car runs like a bat outta hell"? He looked as if somebody let the air out of him.

Enough of that. What I really want to know from my brethren here on the board is what did you guys have your BMW Service Rep do to correct this problem. What are the options? Please let me know. Thanx in advance.

RUTHLESS530!
Old 11-07-2005, 05:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Originally Posted by RUTHLESS530' post='194571' date='Nov 7 2005, 01:35 PM
Hello,

I know there have been many topics/problems on BMW Brakes ... rather it be the excessive brake dust or what I am experiencing presently... That annoying LOUD SQUEAL!!! when braking :thumbsdown:. I will tell you that it is very much an embarrassment when you're driving 59K Ultimate Driving Machine and stop at a light next to a HOOPTY and you scare the hell out of the occupants due to the loud squeal.

But, to rub more salt into this existing wound, my BMW Service Rep told me when I took the car in for maintanance, "You have to understand; BMW is the standard for driving performance, not so much as problem brakes". So I kindly replied "Hey man, I'm driving a so called high end car here, and you mean to tell me that I should settle for loud brakes just as long as the car runs like a bat outta hell"? He looked as if somebody let the air out of him.

Enough of that. What I really want to know from my brethren here on the board is what did you guys have your BMW Service Rep do to correct this problem. What are the options? Please let me know. Thanx in advance.

RUTHLESS530!
Can you tell me when the squealing first started? What sort of driving do you do? Reason I ask is that although I've not experienced this on my BMW, I used to do a bit of Rallying and brake squeal was normal due to the hard compound pads that we used to prevent fading when hot. The trick is to put some "anti squeal" compound (like copperslip) between the caliper pistons and the pads themselves. This is supposed to damp the high pitch noise that you can get when two relaltively hard surfaces are rubbing together. If the car has been serviced recently (other than an oil service) I would have expected the dealer to have removed the pads to check for wear, clean and replace them using some anti squeal compound. (They used to do that on my old E34 and E39, but maybe with the i-drive indicator for brake pad replacement they don't bother on the E60?)
Old 11-07-2005, 05:37 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 545i, 2004. Alpine white, ventilated seats, confort seats, bluetooth, HI-FI Audio, Electrical Rear Blinds, manual Side blinds, Sport Package, Confort Glass,Active steering, Business Navigation

Originally Posted by Kev525' post='194586
Hello,

RUTHLESS530!
Can you tell me when the squealing first started? What sort of driving do you do? Reason I ask is that although I've not experienced this on my BMW, I used to do a bit of Rallying and brake squeal was normal due to the hard compound pads that we used to prevent fading when hot. The trick is to put some "anti squeal" compound (like copperslip) between the caliper pistons and the pads themselves. This is supposed to damp the high pitch noise that you can get when two relaltively hard surfaces are rubbing together. If the car has been serviced recently (other than an oil service) I would have expected the dealer to have removed the pads to check for wear, clean and replace them using some anti squeal compound. (They used to do that on my old E34 and E39, but maybe with the i-drive indicator for brake pad replacement they don't bother on the E60?)
[/quote]

Hi there,

I do have the same problem, my brakes do sqeaks on braking and it is indeed embarressing. the first time i took it to the dealer they cleaned the disks and pads for me and they made me pay as this is not covered by warranty :thumbsdown:

surprisingly the squeaks were still there, the second time i took in they clean them again but the noise is still there!!!!!!!!!

the last time they told me that when the brakes lights are on (due for change) they will change the discks and pads.

Now i am drinving with the noise from my brakes and this is very anoying

Regards
Old 11-07-2005, 05:45 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wiss545' post='194600
Originally Posted by RUTHLESS530' post='194571' date='Nov 7 2005, 01:35 PM
Hello,

RUTHLESS530!
Hi there,

I do have the same problem, my brakes do sqeaks on braking and it is indeed embarressing. the first time i took it to the dealer they cleaned the disks and pads for me and they made me pay as this is not covered by warranty :thumbsdown:

surprisingly the squeaks were still there, the second time i took in they clean them again but the noise is still there!!!!!!!!!

the last time they told me that when the brakes lights are on (due for change) they will change the discks and pads.

Now i am drinving with the noise from my brakes and this is very anoying

Regards
[/quote]

The complete solution.
AXXIS DELUXE PLUS.

BMW Brakes!!!-axxis_brake_charts.jpg
Old 11-07-2005, 05:54 AM
Senior Members

I had mine in last week for this exact problem. My SA tried to tell me that it was due to brake dust and to just wash/hose off the rims. Well I called BS on that, I told her that I wanted the brake pad sensor check, and sure as s*@t that was the problem. It was the right rear. So ask them to check the sensors!

I do concur, it is very embarrising to pull up next to someone and they are looking around trying to figure out who brakes are making the racket.

Cheers,
Old 11-07-2005, 06:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

The noise from the sensor has been discussed in the past, so the dealer shouldn't charge you for repair a faulty sensor.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:17 AM
Members

My Ride: UK 2005 530d E61

Is the sqeal on light/moderate braking and from the right side of the car? If so this seems to be a general issue with E60/E61 that BMW has yet to solve in a permanent way. I posted on this a short while ago...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...7946&hl=brakes

My dealer says that the issue is the design of the pad sensor. They say they could replace the pads/sensor but it wouldn't necessarily fix the problem. They are awating a fix from BMW.

I agree that this is quite an annoying issue - I'd certainly like to get a fix ASAP.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:27 AM
Senior Members

I kinda got used to it. Although the squeak shouldn't be there...

isn't there a service plan or how do u call it!? serrvice report.... bulletin!
Old 11-07-2005, 08:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sumu' post='194638' date='Nov 7 2005, 10:17 AM
Is the sqeal on light/moderate braking and from the right side of the car? If so this seems to be a general issue with E60/E61 that BMW has yet to solve in a permanent way. I posted on this a short while ago...

My dealer says that the issue is the design of the pad sensor. They say they could replace the pads/sensor but it wouldn't necessarily fix the problem. They are awating a fix from BMW.

I agree that this is quite an annoying issue - I'd certainly like to get a fix ASAP.
It absolutely can be fixed. I had the same problem and after taking it in a good 2X with the dealer merely "cleaning" them off they finally changed the pads and reset the sensors and the squeaking is gone for >10,000 miles now.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Members

My Ride: UK 2005 530d E61

Originally Posted by redondoman' post='194678

It absolutely can be fixed. I had the same problem and after taking it in a good 2X with the dealer merely "cleaning" them off they finally changed the pads and reset the sensors and the squeaking is gone for >10,000 miles now.
[/quote]

Hmmm, what you say is interesting. So maybe I need to go back again to the dealer and ask more questions. Do you know what the issue is - is it faulty pads, faulty setup, or a tolerance issue? It seems that in some cases pad replacement does not cure the problem. Anybody know if there is a BMW service advisory on the brakes noise issue?

Quick Reply: BMW Brakes!!!