E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by z06bigbird' post='1045013' date='Nov 1 2009, 11:34 PM
Skinny?? Come on, man. Members must be truthful. lol

I love your analogies.

As for the battery, just get a BMW battery and the car should be fine. The light should not even come back on. But it DOES suck that they voided her entire warranty. I would talk to useless BMWNA for help.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='1044809' date='Nov 1 2009, 04:56 PM
They don't program the battery, what they do is hook up the ECU to accept a BRAND NEW battery so the car will charge it correctly with a system they have.
+1
Possible cause for those that have had multiple battery and/or alternator failures?

After fitting a new battery, the service function 'Register battery replacement' should be run. Registration of the battery replacement is necessary to notify the power management (software in the engine electronics and intelligent battery sensor) that a new battery has been fitted in the vehicle.
Without registration of the battery replacement, the power management does not run properly and this can lead to function limitations, for example reduction or deactivation of individual consumer units.

Register battery replacement

This function informs the power management in the DME/DDE of a battery replacement. The following operations are performed:

The current kilometre reading is stored for the battery replacement.

The stored measured values (battery charge statuses, current, voltage, temperature, etc.) are deleted.

The power management is initialised.

Replacing the battery: other battery capacity or AGM battery

As the battery depends on the engine ands options fitted, the following information is coded in the CAS:

Battery capacity (for example 90 Ah)

Battery type: AGM battery or lead-acid battery.

In the case of battery replacement, in general the battery capacity used as series standard may be used.
On installation of a battery with higher or lower capacity or installation of an AGM battery, Progman must be used to recode the CAS:

With Progman, run the retrofit ?Battery? (select battery capacity of the fitted battery).

Register additional battery replacements with this service function.

Battery: battery capacity and battery type

The battery capacity can be read from the label with the technical data. The other label contains safety instructions.
AGM batteries can be recognised by the black battery housing. The cycle-proof AGM batteries are used for especially heavy loads on the vehicle network depending on equipment and requirements.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 530inOK' post='1045070' date='Nov 1 2009, 11:12 PM
+1
Possible cause for those that have had multiple battery and/or alternator failures?

After fitting a new battery, the service function 'Register battery replacement' should be run. Registration of the battery replacement is necessary to notify the power management (software in the engine electronics and intelligent battery sensor) that a new battery has been fitted in the vehicle.
Without registration of the battery replacement, the power management does not run properly and this can lead to function limitations, for example reduction or deactivation of individual consumer units.

This function informs the power management in the DME/DDE of a battery replacement. The following operations are performed:

The stored measured values (battery charge statuses, current, voltage, temperature, etc.) are deleted.

As the battery depends on the engine ands options fitted, the following information is coded in the CAS:

In the case of battery replacement, in general the battery capacity used as series standard may be used.
On installation of a battery with higher or lower capacity or installation of an AGM battery, Progman must be used to recode the CAS:

With Progman, run the retrofit ”Battery” (select battery capacity of the fitted battery).

The battery capacity can be read from the label with the technical data. The other label contains safety instructions.
AGM batteries can be recognised by the black battery housing. The cycle-proof AGM batteries are used for especially heavy loads on the vehicle network depending on equipment and requirements.
Does this need to be done at the dealership or does it need a BMW programmer, or can the battery initialization be done with the iDrive menu?
Old 11-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

So, the E60 is sophisticated enough to sense that the battery has low voltage, then shuts down systems to compensate, but it can't detect a new battery with new voltage characteristics. BAH!! Programming/Registering the battery is BS. If you replace you're OEM battery with a battery of the same specs or better, you're fine.

Tell her to fight the dealership! They're wrong about voiding her warranty unless they have proof she did indeed short something out when it was changed.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i, Full M-Tech kit, CF Hamann front lip, M5 trunk lid, 20" iForged swift, LCI Tail Lights, Remus Quad Exhaust.

This is exactly why I took out my LCI tail lights and bruce cables and put the stock ones back on before I took my car back to the dealership for service. Who knows what they will say to get out of covering your car under warranty. My car had a faulty battery also and the airbag/restraint malfunction came on. They replaced it and everything is all good now. Hope your friend gets everything worked out...

side note - we should make a thread about good dealerships and service advisers!!! No more bs excuses!
Old 11-02-2009, 04:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Newer battery charging system uses an algorithm to charge battery, depending on its capacity and age. New batteries are charged differently than older batteries. Skipping battery registration can result in a new battery not being fully charged, or having a short life-span. Note that the battery is not programmed, rather the charging system is programmed for the new battery using a diagnostic computer.

Battery Registration, Alternators and MOST bus
Old 11-02-2009, 05:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by vkhong' post='1045171' date='Nov 2 2009, 06:13 AM
Newer battery charging system uses an algorithm to charge battery, depending on its capacity and age. New batteries are charged differently than older batteries. Skipping battery registration can result in a new battery not being fully charged, or having a short life-span. Note that the battery is not programmed, rather the charging system is programmed for the new battery using a diagnostic computer.

I always thought that the alternator and voltage regulator took care of keeping the battery at peak condition.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535xi, short shifter, no CDV

If the Battery Registration is in place, BMW should call it "dynamic power management" ... and does not require dealer visit to reset/registration it. It should done it automatically and behind user and not require a visit to reset the stupid light.

If I did not turn off something, or any other reason ( assume I know what I did, not a malfunction ) run out of power. Needs a jump start. This effective like a dead battery, do we needs a dealer visit to do the "Battery Registration".... A lot of people report that it just fine to use non-BMW battery. Guess they computer did not feel difference big enough to trigger warning light.

I still feel this either too magic or too user (driver) unfriendly.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by vkhong' post='1045171' date='Nov 2 2009, 08:13 AM

Informative article which confirms that the BMW tech guy was not talking total BS.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2012 535i xdrive M-Sport Dark Graphite II 2004 545i Black Sapphire Metallic-Retired 2001 525i Titanium Silver Metallic-Retired1994 325ic Convertible Boston Green-Retired 1985 325es Dolphin Grey-Retired

Originally Posted by 530inOK' post='1045070' date='Nov 2 2009, 01:12 AM
+1

With Progman, run the retrofit ?Battery? (select battery capacity of the fitted battery).

I'm going through this right now. I had battery issues last year and replaced it with another BMW battery I bought myself and replaced it. I had no idea the battery had to be registered with the car. Last week I started to have batter issues again. It went dead on me and had to keep a battery jump pack handy to restart the car. Totally unacceptable on a luxury car . I didn't hear the end of it from my fiancee. She has an Acura and it never failed her and so the comments kept coming. My only comeback was " It's the Ultimate Driving Machine" of course when it starts

Anyway, had my mechanic charge the battery and it was good for a day. The next morning the car was dead again . My mechanic referred me to a friend of his that works at the BMW dealership and brought the car in. He explained the whole registering the battery thing to me and it made a lot of sense just like 530inOK explained in his post. Because its a BMW battery they will replace it no charge and also check out the rest of car to make sure that was the only issue. Just waiting to hear back of the final disposition. Keeping my fingers crossed

Quick Reply: BMW Battery