E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My neighbor has an 05 545i and a few months ago her battery went dead. She called a BMW tech that she takes her older 330i to and he told her that the Interstate battery was what he uses at his shop. Upon replacing the battery her air bag light went on, she called her tech and he said it just needs to be reset, bring it in or just take it to the dealer when you have to bring it in for service (the 545 is still under CPO warranty).

She brought it in for service and a few niggling items. She got a call that using a non-BMW battery voids her warranty! She still gets the maintenance, but nothing else. They told her that the battery needs to be programmed for the car. Hello? It's a battery! There's not USB port or any cables (other then the positive and negative posts) that would involve programming. If a BMW battery is needed to keep the car in warranty, then cover the battery.

Does this make any sense to anyone (other than BMW so they can ream someone on a battery)?
Old 11-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Dude I am so confused sounds shady!!
Old 11-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

I have never heard of something like this before. I think they started "programming" batteries in 2006. Does the aftermarket battery have the same exact specs as the OEM one?
Old 11-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='1044794' date='Nov 1 2009, 03:23 PM
I have never heard of something like this before. I think they started "programming" batteries in 2006. Does the aftermarket battery have the same exact specs as the OEM one?

How do you program a battery? And, yes to the second question.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Thatmarkguy' post='1044796' date='Nov 1 2009, 05:29 PM
How do you program a battery?
I don't have the slightest clue, they probably mean programming the ECU to accept the battery. But I am not sure.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Contributors

They don't program the battery, what they do is hook up the ECU to accept a BRAND NEW battery so the car will charge it correctly with a system they have. That's about it really.

Anything else like "register and program" is a bit misleading.

And no an non BMW battery doesn't void the warranty at all, its called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act says that a manufacturer cannot deny a warranty claim because of an aftermarket part, unless the part in question actually CAUSED the problem that the warranty claim is about.

Basically they dealership has to prove through logical reasoning how any aftermarket part caused another system to fail. Most reputable aftermarket companies exceed OEM standards in all areas so its really just a game of smoke and mirrors.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='1044809' date='Nov 1 2009, 03:56 PM
Basically they dealership has to prove through logical reasoning how any aftermarket part caused another system to fail. Most reputable aftermarket companies exceed OEM standards in all areas so its really just a game of smoke and mirrors.
The aftermarket battery shorted the whole cars electrical system. Ops... haha
Old 11-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='1044824' date='Nov 1 2009, 03:35 PM
The aftermarket battery shorted the whole cars electrical system. Ops... haha
if its the exact same specs, sorry that argument doesnt work

try again if youd like
Old 11-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Contributors

Question

Originally Posted by Thatmarkguy' post='1044791' date='Nov 1 2009, 06:19 PM
She got a call that using a non-BMW battery voids her warranty!
This point is well made ... as a matter of course I fill my tires with BMW air ... use BMW water to mix my windshield washer fluid ... and drive only on BMW roads. My NAV and SAT radio only receive BMW Signals.

However, I've been planting my skinny Non-BMW ass on the seats ... I hope BMWNA doesn't find out

Any BMW SA who takes advantage of a BMW owner / leasee in the fashion you described should be run out of town or sent to work for Ford!
Old 11-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='1044862' date='Nov 1 2009, 08:39 PM
This point is well made ... as a matter of course I fill my tires with BMW air ... use BMW water to mix my windshield washer fluid ... and drive only on BMW roads. My NAV and SAT radio only receive BMW Signals.

However, I've been planting my skinny Non-BMW ass on the seats ... I hope BMWNA doesn't find out

Any BMW SA who takes advantage of a BMW owner / leasee in the fashion you described should be run out of town or sent to work for Ford!

Skinny?? Come on, man. Members must be truthful. lol

I love your analogies.

Quick Reply: BMW Battery