E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The BMW Attitude

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Pretty basic I guess. I have the sport, premium and cold weather pkgs. I took a risk on color selection by getting the monaco blue exterior with the auburn seats and door panels. I love both colors but have not seen the two together.

I love these cars and want only to drive BMW. I'm ready to pick up my 5th one and have been driving them for about 15 years. How do you deal with the perception that we who drive these fantastic cars are arrogant people with a high perception of ourselves, are yuppies and well, . . . you know the rest. I don't feel I'm any of these. Do I tell myself I just don't care what they think or is there another rationale you use? Sounds petty maybe, but in a way, it is important to me.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:47 PM
Contributors

I stopped caring about what other people think a long time ago. Drive what you want.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Members

I dont think that attitude exists anymore for BMWs.... as ALOT of people have started driving them... now you have the 1 series... 320i... etc etc. And its correct what Westcoast said, Drive what you want and no reason to think heavily of what the next person thinks of you.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Yeah, who cares what others think?

PS. I think your signature pic is TOO BIG!

Old 03-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by davemancini' post='248030' date='Mar 1 2006, 09:29 PM
I love these cars and want only to drive BMW. I'm ready to pick up my 5th one and have been driving them for about 15 years. How do you deal with the perception that we who drive these fantastic cars are arrogant people with a high perception of ourselves, are yuppies and well, . . . you know the rest. I don't feel I'm any of these. Do I tell myself I just don't care what they think or is there another rationale you use? Sounds petty maybe, but in a way, it is important to me.
Some bmw drivers are arrogant and self obsessed - fact.

However, I think this is the case for drivers of ALL 'premium' branded cars, not just BMW. This is a symptom of them being desireable status symbols for those who feel they have to prove themselves all the time.

Fortunately, this doesn't detract from the fact that BMW's are fantastically engineered machines, based completely around the needs of a dedicated driver. IMO the vast majority of BMW drivers are simply ordinary people with a keen interest in driving and a fascination with quality engineering.

For me, the pleasure of driving a fantastic car is easily worth having a few narrow minded people make snap judgements about me based entirely on appearance.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Lomag' post='248072' date='Mar 1 2006, 05:31 PM

That is true Its kinda old now anyways, time for a change
Old 03-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

This is an over-simplification so I hope no one takes this personally, but BMWs are like Rolexes.
They're expensive enough to have snob appeal. But they're cheap enough to be attainable for most ppl.

On one side, you have enthusiasts who are really into its history, engineering, etc.
(They swear by their E30 M3s, 2002s, James Bond No Date Submariners, COMEX SeaDwellers, or at least recognize why these models are important)

On the other hand, you have yuppies who are into these brands only because they think its "nice". They buy these things just cause they see their friends with one, want to show off, think they're supposed to get one because of the money they make and to keep up with the Jones'.
(They swear by the newest and shiniest models only, think old models are junk)

Group #1 has all the passion, but are the minority these days.
Group #2 is superficial, but are the majority these days.

What you're describing is how the general public only knows of group #2. They don't recognize that there's actually passionate enthusiasts out there who aren't snobs and who don't buy these models just cause they're "nice".
Old 03-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

I think the only way is to truly not care. When it comes to cars, I don't choose mt car because of what someone else will think of it or me--good or bad. You just have to adopt that attitude and be one with it. No matter what one does, it is important to be a good example. So, just drive your car, enjoy it, and be a good example of a BMW driver and "good" person in general. And, whatever people think is just that, whatever!
Old 03-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Senior Members

Why would you care what other's think of what you drive?
Old 03-01-2006, 03:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Lomag' post='248072' date='Mar 1 2006, 05:31 PM

His sig is to big? I don't get it.

Quick Reply: The BMW Attitude